Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

The animations look amazing. These high animation priority games generally look incredible IMO. Unfortunately the nature of the mechanics lend themselves to a very small set of extremely high fidelity animations that the player becomes SUPER comfortable with. I've always had a personal issue with how "samey" it makes things feel after a while. However it's also what gives them the ability to have what I would consider "high fidelity" combat. You're becoming extremely familiar with the animation frames of your favorite weapon. 

I can't wait to get into this game emotionally and phyiscally thanks to the improved graphics. I think the expression of the 3 dimensional venue creation will really allow me to explore in-depth.

Hmm, so I played up to the first bell on my Xbox back when this first came out. It was a rental, and I really just wanted to dip a toe in, but I've found myself thinking about it on and off since. A couple of months ago, I picked up the Xbox disk used for a few bucks and was going to continue playing on that as I didn't want to lose my progress. At this point I'm wondering if I even remember enough about the game to pick up where I left off, if the additions to the PC version are worth it if I wanted to start over, and if there's any multiplayer community left out there, Any opinions?

If you have an XBOX-style controller for your PC, then PC is probably the best version, if only because you can mod in higher-resolution textures. There is still an active community, although the online functionality is always a bit spotty. Getting to the first bell only takes an hour or two, so I'd say you might as well restart even if you pick it up on 360 again. 

If you have an XBOX-style controller for your PC, then PC is probably the best version, if only because you can mod in higher-resolution textures. There is still an active community, although the online functionality is always a bit spotty. Getting to the first bell only takes an hour or two, so I'd say you might as well restart even if you pick it up on 360 again. 

Wow, It took me like 6. I guess I was too cautious.

So, finally grabbed this on Steam sale. What comes with the game, and what do I need to install to make it pretty?

I'm slightly tempted to get it at the Steam Sale, but I heard it's much more harsh that Demon's Souls which was already as harsh I could stomach. :|

Got it at the Steam Sale and look forward to start playing it within the next five years from now.

I played it hardcore for three days when I bought it in May, beat the first gargoyle, then lost all urge to keep going. It might be a good game to marathon a couple of summers from now, who knows.

I'm slightly tempted to get it at the Steam Sale, but I heard it's much more harsh that Demon's Souls which was already as harsh I could stomach. :|

I admittedly never played Demon's Souls, but my general understanding is that it's simply better balanced than Demon's Souls.

There's fewer silly, exploitative things you can do to break the game, but the trade-off is that more styles of play are viable as well.

Dark Souls is not an extremely difficult game, it's just one that does not suffer fools. Learn the systems and movesets, consider every choice, play cautiously.

I got a few minutes before the sale ended, does anybody know if this is one of the games were the magic user is really hard mode? Japan tends to do that and they sometimes don't tell you about it.

I also heard you can only recharge spells at camps... that's a D&D-ish in a way.

Pyromancer is generally considered the easiest class I believe, but your choice of starting class doesn't matter so much once you really get going, as you can build your character however you want from there.

Spells only recharge at camps but you usually get 20-40 casts (at least as far as I've gotten into the game, the first Bell)

Thank God, being the wizard snob that I am, I'd hate to have to play as a non-magic user type.

I've begun my Dark Souls adventure in high spirits. I'm confident I won't run into any difficulties or die terribly that much.

I'm kidding, I got utterly destroyed several times in a row by the first batch of skeletons in a non-descript graveyard.

I thought the game looked extremely poor, until Lu pointed me to a very useful and easy mod that doubles the resolution. Now the game is crisp - though still pretty ugly. The controls took some getting used to and I have no idea what I'm doing. Some general browsing has lead me to the knowledge that humanity is useful and I should probably reroll as a warrior instead of a sorceror. I agree, since I think it's better to come to grips with the game's mêlée combat at first. If I get dependent on ranged combat, I get the feeling I'll be at a disadvantage throughout the game. Better tackle the beast head on.

And get some payback on those damned skeletons.

Ya the graveyard is a trap.

I got to the gaping dragon last night. The intro made me feel ill the beast was so disgusting.

I put it down a few months ago after putting about 6-7 hours in, but I want to go back to it after the recent Twitch stream.

In regards to the melee over ranged combat, I think that mastering the parry/riposte/backstabbing mechanics is one of the most efficient ways to deal with most enemies. At least that's what I've gathered from watching several LPs.

Ok, dragon down and blight town opened. It is supposed to be scary though, Do I there next?

Now the game is crisp - though still pretty ugly. 

Hmm. Funny, I actually thinks the game looks fantastic. Yes it is "ugly" at times - but only when it's supposed to, I would describe Dark Soul's overall style as "beautiful desolation".

Ok, dragon down and blight town opened. It is supposed to be scary though, Do I there next?

Blightown has a nasty reputation, but it's not that bad. Just keep your cool, take your time, and don't fall to your death :D

Also, you might want to get some gear with poison resistance, like the Pyromancer set and the Spider Shield.

There's also a poison resist set down there that makes you look like a ninja...so clearly the best.  Main thing is to not get hit by the blowdart assassin guys.  Have some of the poison antidote flower with you.

Hmm, I think what happens is that the game is really made for consoles with console resolutions, so you don't notice it that much when there isn't a lot of detail on the ground or something. On PC that's slightly more noticeable. On top of that, the art direction is not always strong. Enemies generally look amazing, but the human characters, especially the faces, are weird. And why don't the mouths move when people talk? It's like I'm back in 1997. Mind you, I don't really care about any of it, just things I noticed.

I switched back to my pyro set for to kill the goatsee dragon and I have the shield so happy days. Off to blight town tonight then!