Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

It's working now, the eShop is much better than I expected, they have a pretty decent search engine for the games, not to mention they actually let you "favorite" games you are interested in, which is something I think all online shops should have! If only they had demos, the eShop would be awesome!

So what did you guys get?

I got the 3D Pokédex (free), Excitebike (free), Soul of Darkness (SOTN clone), Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, Super Mario Land, Shantae and Might Milky Way... Wow, the DSi Ware has more good looking games that I thought!:tup:

I got the two freebies as well as Link's Awakening and Mario Land. Two of my favorite game boy games on day one? Yeah, of course I spent a bit of money on them.

Be sure to hold start and select when loading a Game Boy game to play it native-res with a sweet 3D faux-Game Boy border. They really should have made that the default.

What, really?

...just tried it with Link's Awakening. That is fucking great.

EDIT: After spending a bit of time with Link's Awakening, I gotta say that as far as I'm concerned, Nintendo has redeemed itself from the DSi store already. All I wanted from the DSi Shop was to get a copy of Link's Awakening on my primary portable system that I could call up from a memory card whenever I wanted. I have it now, everything else is just gravy. Not only that, but it translated really well. It looks good scaled up, and really cool at native with the virtual gameboy screen around it in 3D. This shit has made me very happy.

Also, has anyone tried out Excitebike yet? The way that the track actually visibly tilts away from you as you scale up the 3D is fucking great. Especially since it's free, everyone needs to check that out. Makes me very hopeful for where the 3D classics (or whatever they're calling them) are going.

EDIT EDIT: Tanu, if you're at all interested in the DSi shop, you need to get Artstyle Boxlife and Artstyle PictoBits. Those two are easily my most played DSi games.

Edited by miffy495

It's strange, but when I played Pokémon on my 3DS I had to use the "Select + Start" trick to play it, it looked dreadful without it, but none of the DSiWare games I've played so far look bad?

Maybe it's a case to case scenario?

We don't have Link's Awakening yet in Europe, is that the only new game in the store? I own the DX and non-DX version, yet I know I'm going to buy it when it's out here! :gaming:

Super Mario Land is so different! I barely remembered that game and I must confess I didn't think I'd like it, but it playing a Mario game with actual themed based worlds with each world being completely different from the last? And I had forgotten about the shmup stages! :tup:

I also played Soul of Darkness, which is the most blatant Castlevania rip-off ever, but God of War upgrade system. Some of the sprites are just mild edits of the Castlevania games, and I could swear the ending music is hauntingly familiar. It's ridiculously short with only 11 short stages and only has two weapons to use, but if you want a cheap Castlevania fix it's great!:tup:

Excitebike 3D looks great, but I wonder how many other classics would benefit from a 3D version? I can't think of any NES games from Nintendo that would look better with depth, I remember them all as very 2D games? How many NES games even have parallax scrolling or anything to "3D-ify"?

ExciteBike is something I can't get excited about. I have zer nostalgia for the title so it seems just a simple racing/trick game.

Link's Awakening is a title I might play!

That's probably why it was free for a day? I wouldn't have gotten it if I had to pay for it, it's nice to see it in 3D, but that's about it.

Wow, I just found out about this holding start and select thing on the game booting up trick. Is this new? Why did nobody know about this after launch? This even works for DS games! Sweet!

Also, about the Pokedex 3D thing. So really, they modeled all these Pokemon in 3D, with their actions and animations? Is this all 500-ish of them? Or just the new 150? And released it for free? You just know there's going to be a 3D Pokemon game coming out. They spent too much time on these "free" assets.

That's probably why it was free for a day? I wouldn't have gotten it if I had to pay for it, it's nice to see it in 3D, but that's about it.

It's free for a month, not a day.

It's free for a month, not a day.

I could swear I heard it was a day only, but I guess that was before it's actual release?

Drath, it looks like you have access to the Unova Pokédex and you can unlock more by searching for AR symbol, which you can get here, getting the symbol only makes it easier to get new ones, I think you can only get three new ones per day?

Also, I think you unlock more options as you unlock more Pokémon? Yesterday pressing A made me throw an apple at them, today they do a pose?:erm:

I'm hoping they'll something that isn't simply Pokémon Stadium 3D, but I'm pretty if will be what they use these assets for?

You can also do stuff like this:

tumblr_lmhlt9Hxpv1qzsuxqo1_400.jpg

Edited by Tanukitsune

A proper storydriven Pokémon RPG for the 3DS would be rad, but isn't going to happen, ever.

On the Podédex, why the fuck didn't it set the colorful sky background as the default? Now you start off with the depressing one.

The prices start to be almost at the point where I could by a 3DS. In Finland they are ripping off almost 300€ of each 3DS at the brick and mortar shops, but amazon.co.uk for example would cost for me 215 euros with the super saver option turned on.

But I think I will still wait for the inevitable 3DS lite version with enhanced battery. I got enough crappy battery situations with the PSP.

So I got my free Excite Bike.

I don't even like Excite Bike.

I have to say though, that's cute, Nintendo.

The thing with the tricky 3d slider mapping, i see what you did there.

That's not enough to make me like Excite Bike, but it is enough to make me interested in what Nintendo does with other 3D remakes.

Also, the firmware update apparently breaks Ridge Racer 3D, as explained to me by the spotpass notice telling me to update. (The same notice explains that a later update will be issued to fix the firmware update said notice is telling me to install.)

Nintendo!

:deranged:

Wait is this version of Link's Awakening in 3D now? I'm confused. Are the graphics better?

Nope, it's just the first Game Boy Color release for the Virtual Console, it does have save states, which are great for the crane mini game! The rest is exactly the same.

Nope, it's just the first Game Boy Color release for the Virtual Console, it does have save states, which are great for the crane mini game! The rest is exactly the same.

Yeah, the 3D classics remakes like the Excite Bike thing are separate from the Virtual Console stuff, which are still just cleanly emulated ports.

The version of Link's Awakening that they've made available is the final DX version. (That game is so buggy that it would be cruel to expose anybody to any version older than that.)

Yeah, the 3D classics remakes like the Excite Bike thing are separate from the Virtual Console stuff, which are still just cleanly emulated ports.

The version of Link's Awakening that they've made available is the final DX version. (That game is so buggy that it would be cruel to expose anybody to any version older than that.)

Link's Awakening should be black and white, anyone who disagrees can go die.

Link's Awakening should be black and white, anyone who disagrees can go die.

I'm just saying the gameboy color's DX version isn't as buggy as the original gameboy variants were. Link's Awakening is notoriously glitched, there were multiple revisions of the gameboy cart, all fixing and breaking weird things.

Hey, If you played that game as a kid and couldn't finish it? It probably wasn't your fault. Ask around though, you'll find a lot of people who played it on the gameboy will have never finished it, and will just have assumed it was their feeble child brain unable to cope with the game.

The first time I played Link's Awakening was the DX version, but on a game boy pocket so it was in black and white. As such, playing it now on my 3DS is a bit odd because the game is the exact same version I remember but the colours are new. I don't know if there is a "right" version of this game, but for me it's DX in black and white. I'm actually enjoying the colours though, if only for the newness of it, so I'm not sure I'm entirely with you on that, Patters.

Also, I've now beaten Super Mario Land about 5 times through. I'm constantly subjecting my friends and girlfriend to the music from it. Still the best Mario music ever.

Guys! Have you tried the "Select + Start" thing for Virtual Console games? :eek:

You play them in their original resolution and with a slight 3D effect! It just makes the game "sink" like the original Game Boy screen, it's not much, but it's kinda "cute" to see them like that?:erm:

Be sure to hold start and select when loading a Game Boy game to play it native-res with a sweet 3D faux-Game Boy border. They really should have made that the default.
What, really?

...just tried it with Link's Awakening. That is fucking great.

So yes.

That said, this has become my favorite thing to do when showing off the 3DS to other people. First I show them the game running blown up to fill the top screen, then explain to them that if you're playing an original DS game, you can hold start + select to run it in native res and that this works with this game as well. I then tell them to brace themselves for the most stupid and pointless but also kind of cool feature ever. As I boot up Mario Land, they think I'm just talking about the shell, which I'm happy to let them think for a minute. Then I announce that not only is there a shell, but there is a shell... "IN THREEEE DEEEEE!!!" and watch their brain break a little bit as I push the 3D slider. It's the dumbest feature in the world to have that game boy shell be 3D, but I fucking love it for that. Anyone I know who also appreciates dumb/awesome things is then immediately taken with this functionality.

The first time I played Link's Awakening was the DX version, but on a game boy pocket so it was in black and white. As such, playing it now on my 3DS is a bit odd because the game is the exact same version I remember but the colours are new. I don't know if there is a "right" version of this game, but for me it's DX in black and white. I'm actually enjoying the colours though, if only for the newness of it, so I'm not sure I'm entirely with you on that, Patters.

Also, I've now beaten Super Mario Land about 5 times through. I'm constantly subjecting my friends and girlfriend to the music from it. Still the best Mario music ever.

The colour just didn't look right.

la_dx.gif

Also I did finish the original version, which I bought in WHSmiths for £15.

Oops, I must have missed that post... ;(

I kinda like the DX version, although the extra dungeon kinda breaks the game little with the tunics, but then again, the boomerang is ridiculously game breaking strong in both versions?

Man, how long has Robin Williams been rocking that beard? That is an impressive display of facial hair.