Lu 

The Witcher 2

DAZZLING STATE OF THE ART VISUALS

*pan up wood elf's body as her clothes magically dematerialize*

(serious answer - i am stoked about this video game)

Edited by SoulChicken

Dramatic events? Unexpected!

I did like that chat with the ogre or whatever by the fire. Never played the original.

DAZZLING STATE OF THE ART VISUALS

*pan up wood elf's body as her clothes magically dematerialize*

(serious answer - i am stoked about this video game)

That's actually Triss. :3

I am pumped for this game. Just recently (finally) finished the first. If they can fix some of the flaws (oh god constant crash-to-desktops) and improve on existing systems (combat could use some beefing up), it will no doubt surpass the first game. Which I love. Yum.

That's actually Triss. :3

I am pumped for this game. Just recently (finally) finished the first. If they can fix some of the flaws (oh god constant crash-to-desktops) and improve on existing systems (combat could use some beefing up), it will no doubt surpass the first game. Which I love. Yum.

Given the 'hidden' message at the end of the trailer, it seems like this is what they have in mind.

Given the 'hidden' message at the end of the trailer, it seems like this is what they have in mind.

Indeed, I am optimistic given their words.

I would have probably bought the sequel regardless, but improvements are always welcome!

Didn't notice this, the original was good fun, I need to play it again I think. :) I just remember being annoyed that the Order's guy who you can be friends with turns out to be someone you just have to kill...gah...thought I could persuade him to not be a idiotic murderer after hearing his lovely singing voice, hehe :)

The only odd bit was the lavish womanly offerings placed constantly in front of you. Very out of place, and horribly written too (amounting to "Sex, since I saved you?" "Yeah go on then!" "Picture card achievement acquired"). I hope it isn't so desperately stupid this time. Being a womaniser feels so dirty. Dirty old man feeling. Urg...

Didn't notice this, the original was good fun, I need to play it again I think. :) I just remember being annoyed that the Order's guy who you can be friends with turns out to be someone you just have to kill...gah...thought I could persuade him to not be a idiotic murderer after hearing his lovely singing voice, hehe :)

The only odd bit was the lavish womanly offerings placed constantly in front of you. Very out of place, and horribly written too (amounting to "Sex, since I saved you?" "Yeah go on then!" "Picture card achievement acquired"). I hope it isn't so desperately stupid this time. Being a womaniser feels so dirty. Dirty old man feeling. Urg...

Everything I've heard is that it's not out of place at all. Geralt just be big pimpin' in the books (and thus in the game(s)).

I think the cards are meant to be humorous. Or at least they make me laugh.

The original game was pretty poorly written especially around those parts. I know that it was "Meant to be in the books" but in a Video game it just seems like another score counter the way it was done - I bet the books were a lot better written rather then "Can I bonk you now?" or sometimes "Would you like to bonk me now?" that I remember :) Came up very suddenly the first time too.

Apart from maybe one longer-term relationship (Triss) most were one off affairs too, thus the dirty old man thing.

I need to replay it with the directors edition stuff, I finished it before that major patch was finished and never went back to it. Perhaps, perhaps...it will be a lot better.

Then again, maybe I'd have skipped those parts in the books too if they are that constant and heavy handed :) Looks like the sequel goes a bit more long term (I guess you get companions now?), since Triss is in so many scenes.

But Geralt is a womanizer.

I understand desire for better writing, but it is a part of who Geralt is. It is a part of that world.

I don't necessarily think the game is better for it (other than making me laugh), but changing one of Geralt's character traits is not the answer.

On the other hand, I've never read the books or short stories or whatever they are. I'm only repeating what I've heard. Perhaps what I've heard is blown out of proportion from what is actually in the stories. I keep meaning to read them, though. ):

He's a womanizer in action only since his words never fit the mould I think - it just seems so unwarranted and sometimes just entirely inappropriate to suddenly do it. They really wrote most of the encounters really poorly and placed them in the most insane places, mainly going for women he's just met after some massive danger or whatever. Would make sense with prostitutes, but some of them are just strange.

That might be the point though, and most are optional or whatever, so I guess it's complaining just since it was the only thing that really stood out as a lazy exercise in their design (the fact it does just end with a very short video and a card also speaks volumes - you never get to discuss anything about it afterwards, it really does come down to card collecting sadly!).

Perhaps if they only had put more effort into it, it'd not be so embarrassing eh? Seems like this time they might try harder, one can hope!

I dunno, a good number of the ones I remember had nothing to do with danger. The ones that did tended to be a bit more involved than I think you're making them out to be.

I agree that the writing could be stronger, but I disagree that "He's a womanizer in action only since his words never fit the mould."

Though I do remember in the second chapter (I think) walking into a house and talking to the woman there and she was like "i'm so loooonely bone me plz" and I laughed out loud and then said yes. And then laughed again!

The thing is that there are people like this in real life. Few and far between, sure, and the fact that Geralt seems to meet ALL of them in the course of however long the game takes in "real" time is a bit absurd, yes, buuut if that's what he is, then that's what he is. I really need to read the books, though, before I make a fool of myself and someone tells me he doesn't have sex with everything on two legs.

Besides, the relationships that were more involved (Shani/Triss, of course, and to a lesser extent Abigail and the vampire brothel owner thing) were much better written (not that this is saying much) than the random encounter booty calls. So... there's that.

Also, just to clarify: I wouldn't really care that much if they decided to remove 90% of the sex encounters from the game and just stick with the ones that mattered. As I said before, they were mostly just reason to laugh for me. But where's the fun in talking about something if everyone agrees?

Hey guys, nice chat about the original. For the benefit of someone who didn't play the original but probably will inthe future: I heard that there were romantic encounters (ahem) in the game, but does it just devolve into a snagging simulation with occasional witching?

No. The romantic encounters (ahum) are purely a minor side-thing. Sometimes the opportunity presents itself and you can act accordingly. It's not something forced and you will definitely be witching most of the time.

The fact sheet seems really over the top. Sounds good overall, though. Although this might seem a somewhat shallow, I liked this part most:

Greater freedom of exploration to provide increased game realism and a wider range of new tactical options. Geralt will surmount barriers, jump over fences, scale walls and ascend rock formations.

As Kingz said in another post (though he hasn't played it), I think the opening cinematic really hinted at such abilities and it was somewhat disappointing to be limited in movement to just one flat(-ish) plane.

And what I liked least is the ~300 different swords (combined from parts?). I'd rather they just make one sword and put more time into all the other stuff they listed.

CD Projekt is pretty wonderful at the craft of hyperbole, and the broken English is good for a laugh or two, as well.

Is it weird that I find it more charming than off-putting? :D

The fact sheet seems really over the top. Sounds good overall, though. Although this might seem a somewhat shallow, I liked this part most:

No, I agree...it sounds like they're trying to make an RPG that feels tactile which is a rare thing, if it exists at all and I'm definitely for that. If you're trying to "role-play" you should feel like you have a lot of control over the character. Usually RPGs give you control over all aspects except the physical, but if you're playing a melee dude who lumbers around, you want to feel a little bit like you're inside his body (in a non-sexual way :grin:)

No. The romantic encounters (ahum) are purely a minor side-thing. Sometimes the opportunity presents itself and you can act accordingly. It's not something forced and you will definitely be witching most of the time.

Sweet. I'm all for the witching. Groucho, I'm with you on the "tactile" vibe too. I think I'll put down the original for the dog days of summer.

Man... "dark fantasy" everything is dark and miserable, people live in filth and destitution, and every woman has two pounds of silicone threatening to topple them over at any moment.

Stoked for this, System requirements are out, very similar to recommended for BFBC2.

Minimum Requirements:

Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz

RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7

Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)

HDD Space: 16 GB

Recommended Requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD

RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7

Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)

HDD Space: 16 GB