Lu 

The Witcher 2

So, it's coming out in a week. I'm getting really excited. From what has been said so far about it, it looks like it might be my favourite RPG ever. Man, I'm setting myself up to disappointment.

Some new videos, via RPS:

xJ0-ogRF8KU

wbluGI47VUQ

Witcher 2 looks like it'll be an amazing PC RPG, and I'm sure it's super great, but I wish game developers would just shut up about living communities and everyone living their daily life. This stuff hasn't changed since Lure of the Temptress, and it's almost like developers are so close to their own work they become blind to how transparent these systems always end up. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but watching that trailer made me doubt the quality of the rest of the game. I mean, if they're expecting me to be genuinely impressed by scripted barks and AI behavior, and intrigued that they made an NPC talk about shoes while also having shoes in their house, what standards are they really operating with for other parts of the game?

I'm not trying to be all negative, and this isn't something unique to The Witcher 2; every RPG does it, it seems. I just get concerned when I watch videos like that. Also, I really dig the non-DRM deal they're doing with GOG, and I'm sure it'll be an amazing fun game.

Yeah, I've been more or less trying to avoid this stuff for a while now. It could be SO GOOD. But I've been burned before. It's pretty shallow of me but I'm excited at the idea of a western RPG with big bad monster boss type dudes.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but watching that trailer made me doubt the quality of the rest of the game.

Well, there seemed to be a couple of things in there that other games haven't done, like people gathering around fires. At least I can't rememeber any other RPGs besides Gothic* that have gone beyond the: in the morning, get to work, do your stuff there, in the evening go home. But it will probably be as transparent as you think.

As to the quality, I'm sure it'll be better** than The Witcher, which had bugs which were eventually fixed, and some aesthetic dialogue and character model issues, but on the whole was awesome! Have you played the first game? I forget.

* and I think even in Gothic everything more intricate was scripted?

** based on that this is their second game, which might mean they are better at doing thing, unless they fall into the second system trap, which they may have because they made their own engine (which probably means more bugs [trying to lessen my expectations here]).

[edit]I edited this post like 6 times.

I played the first game for a bit, but then it all opened up and I panicked over what to do and where to go and everything seemed so dark and hard core and depressing. I'll probably not play this game either, but from what I hear it's going to be super fun.

I've had the first one for a while now but i've only played about 2 hours of it. this one has me pretty excited though, so i'm thinking about trying to blast through the first one this week.

and then i read how long it is :eek:

so now I'm thinking of starting it on the easiest difficulty and trying to blow through it since I'd really mostly be interested in the story. maybe i'll finish it in time?

so now I'm thinking of starting it on the easiest difficulty and trying to blow through it since I'd really mostly be interested in the story. maybe i'll finish it in time?

Maybe, if you push it :)

I really loved the Witcher except for one rather key point; the actual gameplay. Since the second game has apparently been overhauled in this regard, I'm looking forward to it, and to prepare for the story I have been watching all the relevant story of the first game here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianInCanada

I'm actually told that it's only the end sections of the story that are really going to be important in the second game, but eh. One thing you do miss out on if you just watch the first game rather than playing it, though, is that if you have a the Witcher save the Witcher 2 will pick certain things up from it. Apparently it's not to the level of Mass Effect, but nevertheless if you want a genuinely customised experience that's the way to go.

I played the first game for a bit, but then it all opened up and I panicked over what to do and where to go.

This has been my general reaction to all RPGs I attempted to play since I went back to the genre with Oblivion. The only exceptions to this is KOTOR. Even Mass Effect seemed terrifyingly huge as soon as they asked me to visit randomly generated planet.

What happened to me since Planescape Torment? I don't know ;(

One thing you do miss out on if you just watch the first game rather than playing it, though, is that if you have a the Witcher save the Witcher 2 will pick certain things up from it. Apparently it's not to the level of Mass Effect, but nevertheless if you want a genuinely customised experience that's the way to go.

Didn't know that. But that's probably not enough reason for me to replay it again. I've already completed it twice (or was it thrice). I ended up making most of the same choices anyway.

Does GOG also encrypt the files so you can only play once it unlocks?

I think it downloads 95% now, and then the last 5% on release. Anyway, it's pretty cool that they're doing a proper DRM-free release, so I wanted to support that regardless of whether I'm going to play it. I'll probably at least try it now that I've bought it.

We won't find out until release. The last 5%, you will not get them.

I'm suddenly interested in buying this game, although I'm not sure what it is exactly that intrigues me so (massive tits). The combat seems closer to Assassin's Creed than my image of every fantasy RPG ever (anemic sword swinging combined to frantic back and forth stepping). I think I'll have to wait for the reviews and/or some gameplay videos before I make my decision on this one, though.

Maybe, if you push it :)

yeah i dominated it. on easy you can blow through it, doing everything except the random fetch quests in about 30-35 hours if you don't dick around too much. it would have been nice to spend a little more time doing things but really i just wanted to see all the story and finish it up before tuesday. i'll take my time with this one.

I think I'll have to wait for the reviews and/or some gameplay videos before I make my decision on this one, though.

So this didn't happen. Holy shit, it is a sweet deal! I mean, you get the game itself, making-of DVD, soundtrack, world map, game guide and some other stuff (all in a physical form as far as I know) delivered with little over 30€. Even if I end up hating the game, I can still play with the papercraft and the coin!

Yeah I found myself pre-ordering it yesterday. I think I need it as a bit of a palette cleanser after Dragon age 2.

I've been playing a bit of The Witcher 1 today. I really hate the fighting mechanism. I hope they completely changed that in TW2, or else I won't buy.

I've been playing a bit of The Witcher 1 today. I really hate the fighting mechanism. I hope they completely changed that in TW2, or else I won't buy.

The combat is actually the main thing that is constantly trumpeted as the great change and improvement from the first game. Also there may be some actual polish (no pun intended) in this game, so it might not NEED an Enhanced Edition to make it playable.

The fighting mechanism actually stopped me from playing The Witcher when I first got it. I don't know what the circumstances were at the time, but I just couldn't wrap my head around it and stopped playing before I'd even completed Caer Morhen. I went back a few months later and it clicked right off and blew through the game and really enjoyed it, minus the already dead-horsed bits with slutty females.

So yes, pre-loaded on GOG (as much as it can be), looking forward to it.