Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 1: THE GREAT GATLING-GUNSBY

This was a very sassy podcast.

Anyway, I guess I can't gush, because I was hoping this thing would sort of start anew, but since I'm now at the reader mail, I guess I'm bored the same comedy references done many times over are still being thrown out there many times over. It's becoming frustratingly incestual. Maybe I'm just in a really bad mood today, but by now I'd say all the funny is completely milked out of references to "horse bag," "baboo," "goldglumblumeJudyblume," and "scoops." The milk is just turning into lactose traced blood out of a purpley sore nipple.

Well then until Toblix's e-mail comes in, then things sort of get back in hand. Okay happy again.

And MDK is the original gunhead from what I can tell. Which is odd because then Jake refers to the Virgin Interactive Genesis ports of those Disney movie games, which were made by people who went on to become Shiny Entertainment.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Haven't listened yet (I'm saving it. for later. preciousssssss), but let me just say: yay!

FINALLY I CAN STOP TAKING MY MEDICATION! Best episode you've done by far. Here's to at least 49 more episodes of THE Idle Thumbs Podcast! :clap::woohoo:

EXCITEMENT! IS WHAT I'M FEELING! OHHHH! EXCITEMENT! WHAT A GREAT FEELING! :eek:

...Did I just sing? I think I did. I never sing. I must be excited.

I guess I'm bored the same comedy references done many times over are still being thrown out there many times over.

Most of that is the fault of us readers, syntheticgerbil. Chris, Video Games Jake, and Hot Scoops Steve rarely bring up the inside jokes unless they build upon the prior absurd situations.

"Horse bag" isn't funny anymore; a young child excited for Idle Thumbs because of the Horse Bag is a whole new concept.

The bird noise is absolutely feeble as an inside "joke". However, when Jake provides audio evidence of its secret origins it becomes monumental.

Chris even segues out of ridiculous in-jokes by playing something that contains nothing but them. I've heard the below in multiple casts:

NICK: "So I was playing Far Cry 2 the other day...."

*Podblast music starts*

*Bird Noise*

JAKE: "Ohhhhh...!"

ALL: "The wizard!"

*Incomprehensible sounds*

*Usually at this point the podcast ends.*

I guess they have to re-record this with Steve saying the Far Cry 2 line.

Anyway, I guess I can't gush, because I was hoping this thing would sort of start anew, but since I'm now at the reader mail, I guess I'm bored the same comedy references done many times over are still being thrown out there many times over. It's becoming frustratingly incestual. Maybe I'm just in a really bad mood today, but by now I'd say all the funny is completely milked out of references to "horse bag," "baboo," "goldglumblumeJudyblume," and "scoops." The milk is just turning into lactose traced blood out of a purpley sore nipple.

Well then until Toblix's e-mail comes in, then things sort of get back in hand. Okay happy again.

And MDK is the original gunhead from what I can tell. Which is odd because then Jake refers to the Virgin Interactive Genesis ports of those Disney movie games, which were made by people who went on to become Shiny Entertainment.

You don't have to listen to our recorded conversations in Chris's apartment if you don't want to! Hopefully the non-dramatic name change, the "new" theme song being an alternate take of the original, etc, indicated that while some things are going to be different, it's largely going to be more of just us sitting around talking about games in the way we tend to.

There was never any sort of high concept or unifying theme for this podcast, and there isn't one with the new content. People asked for more stuff, and we missed recording them, so we've started again. Odds are some of the old repeated phrases and things will fade out, just because there are different people at the mics now and the chemistry is different, but we still think the same kind of shit is funny that we did a few months ago.

Steve rarely bring up the inside jokes unless they build upon the prior absurd situations.

I guess this was my particular hope for things to morph more with Steve, which I do understand is a total of one episode so far, not helped by the way that reader mail seems to be filled with people flooding it with WIZARDBABOOHORSEBABOO I LOVE IDLETHUMBS BAGOLDBLUME. I mean, I'm well aware of the dynamics of all of this stuff, as someone who has faithfully listened to each recording so far. I guess I was hoping the break would be more "refreshing." Again, it's probably just because I'm in a terrible mood today.

There was never any sort of high concept or unifying theme for this podcast, and there isn't one with the new content. People asked for more stuff, and we missed recording them, so we've started again. Odds are some of the old repeated phrases and things will fade out, just because there are different people at the mics now and the chemistry is different, but we still think the same kind of shit is funny that we did a few months ago.

That's all fair enough, it is your podcast afterall.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good episode. Definitely not my favorite, but still very entertaining.

I was kind of hoping for a bit more conversation on ME2 I think though. I remember quite a big conversation between Chris and Shawn on GWJ podcast, but also on the Idlethumbs podcast a bit, specifically on the subject zero character. There wasn't really any mention of that now that you guys have played through it though.

I was extremely apprehensive from the advertising as well, but was surprised to find that in the end Jack was actually one of my favorite characters (her loyalty mission fleshed her out quite a bit. Actually the loyalty missions I thought were the best part of the game).

Anyway, keep fit and have fun.

As far as I recall, we weren't milking "horse bag" or "baboo." "Horse bag" was entirely incidental to the humor of a man listening to our podcast with his apparently-young daughter, and it would have been ridiculous to not read such a surprising email simply because it contains an old reference. Same goes for "baboo" -- I don't know how anyone could have resisted using that GFW clip when it represented such a ludicrously improbable coincidence. You weren't supposed to laugh simply because the words "baboo" or "horse bag" appeared. Also, did Goldblum even actually come up? If it did, I can't imagine it was more than about two second's worth.

Sorry to be defensive about it, but this episode absolutely did not feel like an old-reference-laden yuckfest to me. We've done those before, and I've been the one to edit them, so I feel like I would have noticed.

@chris and Jake

i could listen to 90 minutes of you guys doing nothing but jeff gone gold game names, the in jokes never get old

keep up the great work and the only thing that was missing from the episode was your impressions of jack aka subject zero aka the bad ass biotic after playing the game vs your initial reactions

cheers!

ron

As far as I recall, we weren't milking "horse bag" or "baboo." "Horse bag" was entirely incidental to the humor of a man listening to our podcast with his apparently-young daughter, and it would have been ridiculous to not read such a surprising email simply because it contains an old reference. Same goes for "baboo" -- I don't know how anyone could have resisted using that GFW clip when it represented such a ludicrously improbable coincidence. You weren't supposed to laugh simply because the words "baboo" or "horse bag" appeared. Also, did Goldblum even actually come up? If it did, I can't imagine it was more than about two second's worth.

Sorry to be defensive about it, but this episode absolutely did not feel like an old-reference-laden yuckfest to me. We've done those before, and I've been the one to edit them, so I feel like I would have noticed.

Yeah it wasn't. It was really fun and the evident excitement you guys felt to be casting a pod again was shared by us all. Soon Steve will learn that no, Chris hasn't finished speaking yet.

I guess this was my particular hope for things to morph more with Steve, which I do understand is a total of one episode so far, not helped by the way that reader mail seems to be filled with people flooding it with WIZARDBABOOHORSEBABOO I LOVE IDLETHUMBS BAGOLDBLUME. I mean, I'm well aware of the dynamics of all of this stuff, as someone who has faithfully listened to each recording so far. I guess I was hoping the break would be more "refreshing." Again, it's probably just because I'm in a terrible mood today.

I imagine that as we do more of these the tone will inevitably change a little bit. Steve isn't nick, and the balance of hosts is now 2:1 developers to press, instead of the other way around, but since we never set out to invent anything in the first place, there isn't going to be a conscious decision to reinvent.

You guys weren't too heavy on the self-references at all. In face, I would almost expect there to be more of it than there was in this comeback cast. While I think all the referencing has gotten slightly out of hand amongst listeners (at least it did for a while towards the end of the last run) I never felt you guys "milked" them in the cast itself. Although I doubt you ever would, please don't attempt to avoid saying stuff or going off on baboofests if you feel like it. It's your show, and it's been a success so far.

Of course, for all I know, Chris might've already cut out hours of baboos and wizards from all the previous casts.

Also, thanks for addressing my CSI question from last year. I'm sorry to say that waiting game was just too much for me and in the end I went for the PC version. Now I realize I've made a huge mistake.

Oh, and if you're going to be monthly or bi-weekly or whatever, don't worry about it being too long. Rather, worry about it being too not long.

I was kind of hoping for a bit more conversation on ME2 I think though. I remember quite a big conversation between Chris and Shawn on GWJ podcast, but also on the Idlethumbs podcast a bit, specifically on the subject zero character. There wasn't really any mention of that now that you guys have played through it though.

this was the first "episode". i'm pretty sure they'll cover that several times more in the future episodes, like they did with many other games throughout the past episodes...ME2 has already been mentioned over 50 times throughout lots of episodes and it will be again, now that it actually is out.

and btw the "how old is your daughter" knocked me off my chair! :):tup::tup:

I just threw the Goldblum reference out there because I didn't remember what was going on exactly.

You're right though about the references, I guess I was just mistaken. I did enjoy the episode thoroughly until reader mail and Gaynor is sharp.

I guess unlike other listeners, I for one couldn't sit through 90 minutes of references at all, so maybe I'm just extra sensitive to them. That's not to say I don't get any value from the podcast, which is the exact opposite, since I enjoy listening to you guys just talk about games that I'll probably never play, and get even more excited when games I do play are talked about.

Sorry to just shit on everything, guys.

Oh, and if you're going to be monthly or bi-weekly or whatever, don't worry about it being too long. Rather, worry about it being too not long.

yeah, if the podcast is bi-weekly/monthly then it would be ok to have some longer ones. I wouldn't want you guys stretching, but if a conversation naturally runs longer then it's more okay to release a 2+ hour podcast sometimes.

I like that when you haven't casted in 3 months and there's a whole bunch of new games to talk about, you spent 15+ minutes talking about System Shock 2. I missed you guys.

^^ syntheticgerbil is right about one thing, Steve is sharp. Not to imply that Jake and Nick aren't, but they sometimes have trouble articulating what they want to say, whereas Steve can go toe to toe with Chris in a discussion.

^^ syntheticgerbil is right about one thing, Steve is sharp. Not to imply that Jake and Nick aren't, but they sometimes have trouble articulating what they want to say, whereas Steve can go toe to toe with Chris in a discussion.

In a way, I wish I could be Steve.

Is that too weird to say?

hahahaha! depends what comes to mind when you say that.

steve's weird laughter always makes me....laugh even more...cuz it's...well, really weird. in a good funny way.

Of course, for all I know, Chris might've already cut out hours of baboos and wizards from all the previous casts.

"Chris cut hours of baboos" is a good phrase.

I'm a blathering mess but what can you do?

I like that when you haven't casted in 3 months and there's a whole bunch of new games to talk about, you spent 15+ minutes talking about System Shock 2.

spindrift is so so right. I hate picking on Kotaku, but for the past few months, there has never not been a Bayonetta article on their front page; big budget games devour most of their oxygen. Idle Thumbs reminds me that video game history is much deeper and broader than it gets credit for.

I was once again struggling to contain my laughter at work. Just like old times. As in last year.

spindrift is so so right. I hate picking on Kotaku, but for the past few months, there has never not been a Bayonetta article on their front page; big budget games devour most of their oxygen. Idle Thumbs reminds me that video game history is much deeper and broader than it gets credit for.

Idle Thumbs is advanced video game podcasting