Armchair General

A new multiplayer game (for the times when left for lobby gets too much)

There should also be one on toblix.com. Was last time I checked.

The CPU, memory and network overhead for Teamspeak should be way lower than for Skype.

But why is it you're not using the ingame system?

The CPU, memory and network overhead for Teamspeak should be way lower than for Skype.

But why is it you're not using the ingame system?

Not very good. There seems to be no observable impact on cpu etc from Skype.

Not very good. There seems to be no observable impact on cpu etc from Skype.

I'm going to second this, playing on Canadian servers I get a ping of 180 ish, which ain't bad.

In MY day, getting more than 80 in Counterstrike was terrible!:getmecoat

Well, with BFBC2 ping doesn't affect so much.bullets register as they should. The lowest I have seen in BFBC2 is 150 ish, and I apparently get amazing pings on source games (30ish), though I am sure source lies about this.

I think games are a lot smarter about how they handle online shooters now (which is why bullets register correctly even if your connection is laggy). It was a huge deal when I started playing Counterstrike (pretty casually), but I remember there was a point where the netcode was improved dramatically.

Also, since console games don't have dedicated servers, high pings are pretty common and people just get used to them.

Anyone for some R.U.S.E. beta? I tryed some singleplayer and my first reaction was that they forgot to include computer bots.

Hello there everyone.

Well, since there has been talk here there and everywhere about improving the communication lines in games, and making it more fun for everyone, what about taking that one step further and implementing 'squad tactics' in Bad Company 2?

What I mean is, we all get on Skype, we get into our squad (or pan-squad if necessary) and actually coordinate who we are going to be, and how we are going to play the game. It could be interesting to move through a map rather than a single bloke or couple of blokes with no coordination, but as an actual squad of two snipers, a medic, an engineer, and three or four assault guys, for instance, covering each other and providing the necessary artillery / medical / fire cover required to reach the objective...

What does everyone think? Is it a non-starter or could this be a way forward at times?

:tup::tmeh::tdown:

Hello there everyone.

Well, since there has been talk here there and everywhere about improving the communication lines in games, and making it more fun for everyone, what about taking that one step further and implementing 'squad tactics' in Bad Company 2?

What I mean is, we all get on Skype, we get into our squad (or pan-squad if necessary) and actually coordinate who we are going to be, and how we are going to play the game. It could be interesting to move through a map rather than a single bloke or couple of blokes with no coordination, but as an actual squad of two snipers, a medic, an engineer, and three or four assault guys, for instance, covering each other and providing the necessary artillery / medical / fire cover required to reach the objective...

What does everyone think? Is it a non-starter or could this be a way forward at times?

:tup::tmeh::tdown:

+1

That would rock, and also very quickly highlight the tacticians among us. My motto has always been, 'don't follow me, you won't make it'.

pew pew.

Great idea Pilgers in theory :hmph:. I think to achieve this we would need a team full of Thumbs to do it. Stupid people would get in the way otherwise :grin:. We could still try with a few of us on a team, see how we did, it makes logical sense at least (the basic premise).

It's an awesome idea. Could we also do war movie stereotypes, like the young private who carries with him a picture of his pregnant wife?

It's an awesome idea. Could we also do war movie stereotypes, like the young private who carries with him a picture of his pregnant wife?

One of us would HAVE to be just ONE day from retirement too.

Don't forget the guy who got pulled out of retirement, forever adding his surly "Why'd I get back into this shit?" attitude to the mix.

And who get's to be the guy who chews the baccy, cos it makes him 'a goddamn sexual tyranosaurus"...

What film, movie buffs?

And who get's to be the guy who chews the baccy, cos it makes him 'a goddamn sexual tyranosaurus"...

What film, movie buffs?

My money's on: Predator, Jesse Ventura.

Dug in like an Alabama tick; a personal favourite.

And someone can be the convenience store clerk who's all, "I wasn't even supposed to be here today!"

Don't forget the guy who got pulled out of retirement, forever adding his surly "Why'd I get back into this shit?" attitude to the mix.

Plus he'd be "too old fo' dis shit" aswell :grin: I am also making him sound like a black guy, my god, sub-conscious stereotyping....do they always make the black guy die in films?

What film, movie buffs?

Predator, you sonofabitch.

armo.jpg

Edit: GODDAMMIT, no fair. I put way more effort into it than you guys. :finger:

Fun fact: My intramural soccer team was name "Sexual Tyrannosaurus FC" after that quote.

Predator, you sonofabitch.

armo.jpg

Edit: GODDAMMIT, no fair. I put way more effort into it than you guys. :finger:

I'd can't imagine what you typed into google to get that picture...

"Muscley men arm wrestling"? Crumbs! Hope you put the content filter on!

:mock:

I'd can't imagine what you typed into google to get that picture...

"Muscley men arm wrestling"? Crumbs! Hope you put the content filter on!

:mock:

It came from his mahooosive personal library... :mock:

I searched for Predator Arm Wrestle and didn't find a good one. I WENT TO YOUTUBE AND TOOK A SCREENSHOT MYSELF. You people don't appreciate the lengths I go to to get shit like that. :(

I do it all for you!

I searched for Predator Arm Wrestle and didn't find a good one. I WENT TO YOUTUBE AND TOOK A SCREENSHOT MYSELF. You people don't appreciate the lengths I go to to get shit like that. :(

I do it all for you!

tnx.