Armchair General

A new multiplayer game (for the times when left for lobby gets too much)

So the Pirate and I have been thinking about having a second shooter based multiplayer for our delectation.

Sometimes more than one game of Left for Dead 2 is too much, but there is fuel in the tank for a different format.

The contenders..

ARMA 2

The new Alien Vs Predator

Bioshock 2

MW2 maybe?

Most of us have CS:S (although perhaps not installed) which we could dip in and out of.

Pros: Simple, fun, heaps of maps.

Cons: Simple, bit samey and populated by folk who play it day and night without break and we know how much we like the public...

What does the learned panel think? Any ideas?

Andy

edited to make sense

The problem with some of the games you listed is that they don't integrate steam completely. Meaning, we wouldn't be able to invite folks from our friends list to a particular game. MW2 is an exception. Bioshock 2 is going to use GFWL so that makes things a bit easier but still no friends off your steam list.

I personally don't own CS or Arma II, and I have no thoughts on AvP since I've never played it before.

I do plan on getting Bioshock 2, though not through steam.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind an excuse to buy MW2 on the PC. I kind of want it, but kind of wanting it doesn't quite justify spending the £40 (or less if I shopped around, I guess) when I already have it on PS3. Having a semi-regular group to play with would probably would. I WANT EXCUSES TO WASTE MY MONEY PLEASE.

Bioshock 2 is going to use GFWL so that makes things a bit easier but still no friends off your steam list.

I think quite a few of us are friends on Live anyway, what with GTA IV and everything. There would presumably have to be a certain degree of organization anyway, so adding a bunch of alternative usernames probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle. As long as everyone had someone who had someone else and so on it should all sort itself out OK, I think.

But I don't really mind, either way. I think you can get the Steam overlay over pretty much everything as long as you launch it from Steam, so we could set up a group chat and organize private rooms with passwords or whatever.

So the Pirate and I have been thinking about having a second shooter based multiplayer for our delectation.

Sometimes more than one game of Left for Dead 2 is too much, but there is fuel in the tank for a different format.

The contenders..

ARMA 2

The new Alien Vs Predator

Bioshock 2

MW2 maybe?

Most of us have CS:S (although perhaps not installed) which we could dip in and out of.

Pros: Simple, fun, heaps of maps.

Cons: Simple, bit samey and populated by folk who play it day and night without break and we know how much we like the public...

What does the learned panel think? Any ideas?

Andy

edited to make sense

I'd like to suggest TF2 also, I would suggest BFBC2 when it's out, but the requirements are a lot higher than the other games you suggested.

I have the new AvP on preorder so that would be good.

I wouldn't mind an excuse to buy MW2 on the PC. I kind of want it, but kind of wanting it doesn't quite justify spending the £40 (or less if I shopped around, I guess) when I already have it on PS3. Having a semi-regular group to play with would probably would. I WANT EXCUSES TO WASTE MY MONEY PLEASE.

This.

I like the sound of MW2 but I dont like the sound of how theyve arranged the multiplayer element i.e. servers and stuff. It makes it harder to set up your own game doesnt it?

I think I only ever played CSS once about a millenium ago, and didnt like all the die-hard wally's on there (present company always excluded, of course!).

I like the sounds of the new AVP. Perhaps it would give us a chance to have a larger group meeting rather than just 4v4, seeing as there would be three factions? I have been sorely tempted to spank the plastic and get it on Steam for a couple of days now - and referring to an earlier post, this being on Steam would make it easier for all friends to join, no?

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is the original MW? Cheaper (i think) and easier for servers?

Yeah... I think my vote goes to AVP!

:yep:

:tup:

I would suggest BFBC2 when it's out, but the requirements are a lot higher than the other games you suggested.

Well Eeeexcuuuuuse Me!

Look at fancy Computer Jones over here with his bigshot hardware (just kidding).

I would suggest BFBC2 when it's out, but the requirements are a lot higher than the other games you suggested.

Well Eeeexcuuuuuse Me!

Look at fancy Computer Jones over here with his bigshot hardware.

Well Eeeexcuuuuuse Me!

Look at fancy Computer Jones over here with his bigshot hardware (just kidding).

Well PC wise l4d isn't particularly demanding, BFBC 2 is, with one of the highest requirements I have seen.

I'd like to suggest TF2 also, I would suggest BFBC2 when it's out, but the requirements are a lot higher than the other games you suggested.

I have the new AvP on preorder so that would be good.

A super duper Cray super computer and he still crashes a hundred times before getting into the game...:mock:

I have A v P too Patski, we just need to persaude everyone else now....

Andy

A super duper Cray super computer and he still crashes a hundred times before getting into the game...:mock:

I have A v P too Patski, we just need to persaude everyone else now....

Andy

I haven't had many crashes recently, only network problems, I have my network running properly now I think though.

Educate me on what AvP actually is. I have only barely watched the movie and have never played the original game.

Convince me that the game is worth my money, and I might get it as well.

Oh my god - it's like, the ULTIMATE sci-fi horror mash up.

You MUST have seen Alien or Aliens, right? And you MUST have seen Predator or Predator 2? Now (casting the AVP films aside, as they arent really massively great), imagine those two behemoths of destruction met on a battlefield, with several pasty little humans with pea shooters in the middle!

Seriously - I think it would definitely be one t consider. I was saying to Andy that one of the brilliant things about Left4Dead is that on versus, the two teams are fundamentally different, i.e. the infected and survivors, so the way you play the game is different, the tactics you use, and the way you control the characters. In things like CSS and MW2, it's basically the same no matter what team you are on. With AVP you have three distinct factions, three disctinct methods of gameplay, and the potential not to have not enough places for Thumbs guys on a Sunday night!

:tup:

Incidentally, looking forward to the Thumbs meet tomorrow night...

:gaming:

P.S. Oh, and Skratche? Isnt it time you updated your sig? Surely it should be hallowed be thy QPI link? FSB is sooo last year...

:grin:

Educate me on what AvP actually is. I have only barely watched the movie and have never played the original game.

Convince me that the game is worth my money, and I might get it as well.

It might be worth reading the recent GiantBomb multiplayer hands on. You also get a free copy of Universe at War if you preorder from steam, which is a fun if a little stupid game.

I like the sound of MW2 but I dont like the sound of how theyve arranged the multiplayer element i.e. servers and stuff. It makes it harder to set up your own game doesnt it?

As I understand it you can still do private games or form parties and ambush public games (if there's six of you there'll never be any strangers on your team); there just isn't any dedicated servers, so you're at the mercy of peer-to-peer connections. The trans-atlantic nature of our group could cause problems, I suppose. Perhaps. Then again, I've played against Americans and/or Canadians on the PS3 without significant lag.

I'd be up for the new Aliens vs. Predator if that ends up being decent.

how about Serious Sam HD?

Sure. The billion-player co-op matches are pretty hilarious until the incessant jump sound effects finally get to you and you get a headache. That took about half an hour for me last time. I think I may have been doing the majority of the jumping. That game is pretty nuts.

Looking at AvP, it does seem like it could be the most interesting choice of those suggested. The different play styles could be good. Or bad. Bad is the other thing they could be. Assuming they're not average, of course.

I might still buy MW2 anyway, though. Don't judge me.

I might still buy MW2 anyway, though. Don't judge me.

Me too. After I go 10th prestige. :fart:

I'm still only on second. It wasn't as painful as I thought, but the prospect of going for third without the incentive of an extra class slot is bothering me. It'll probably be ages before I get to that decision, though, if things like Mass Effect will keep preventing me from playing FOR A WHOLE WEEK.

BioShock 2 is the only one of those I'll be getting for PC, I have MW2 for 360. Definitely would play multiplayer with Thumbs.

Aliens vs. Predator multiplayer demo today, folks. That demo will probably decide whether or not I'll buy the game.

Same for me, though my internet is currently unstable. So I probably won't be playing it today.

It's downloadable from Steam! Download eeit, do it naaaooo.

Whenever you guys decide on a new multithumb game, let me know and I will purchase it.