Armchair General

A new multiplayer game (for the times when left for lobby gets too much)

Aliens vs. Predator... Complete disappointment so far. Console shite on the PC. It's all slick and stuff, but the feel of the original games is goooone.

Console shite on the PC.

YES! OPTIMIZED FOR CONSOLES!!! THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN! CAPITALISM!!!

Pirate!

Me and Andy decided we would blame you for us pre-purchasing AvP if it turned out to be poo.

Well I shall reserve judgement until I have it.. .Im still hoping it is still gonna be good!

It would seem after a bit of searching that the demo is only pre-final code, and it only uses DirectX9...

Perhaps the final version will be better and we can decide properly then!

:tup:

Pirate!

Me and Andy decided we would blame you for us pre-purchasing AvP if it turned out to be poo.

Well I shall reserve judgement until I have it.. .Im still hoping it is still gonna be good!

Ha I told Pirate that I would blame you for making me buy it! Let's all blame Patters:tup:

Andy

Ha I told Pirate that I would blame you for making me buy it! Let's all blame Patters:tup:

Andy

FUCK YOU ALL! I like it!

It would seem after a bit of searching that the demo is only pre-final code, and it only uses DirectX9...

Perhaps the final version will be better and we can decide properly then!

:tup:

Aside from bugs and balance I don't see how the game can get much better from demo to release build. Except that you'll have a server browser and dedicated servers. I don't think it's bad, mind you. I just don't like it very much.

We should all get together and try the demo out, though. I do want to play a bit more of it before I decide that I really, really don't like it. :grin:

P.S. I'm pretty sure there is a way to cancel a prepurchase, isn't there?

P.S. I'm pretty sure there is a way to cancel a prepurchase, isn't there?

Sure, you have to send a message to steam support. Don't qoute me on that though, it's just info I picked up browsing the steam forums.

Sure, you have to send a message to steam support.

Thanks for the tip!

Played AvP some more with a friend and I think we made sense of it a little. Heavy attack beats block, light attack beats heavy attack and block beats light attack. Rock paper scissors dealio. If you perform any of those succesfully, then the enemy is stunned for a little while. It would've helped if they explained this in the game somewhere...

I have messaged Steam Support to ask for my pre-order on AvP to be cancelled, as Armchair has convinced me that the Thumbs will be choosing Battlefield Bad Company 2 as the alternative multiplayer game instead of AvP... I hope this is right, and he's not just getting me on one!

LoL...

Has anyone ever cancelled a pre-order before? What happens, and how long does it take?

Cheers.

Den.

I have messaged Steam Support to ask for my pre-order on AvP to be cancelled, as Armchair has convinced me that the Thumbs will be choosing Battlefield Bad Company 2 as the alternative multiplayer game instead of AvP... I hope this is right, and he's not just getting me on one!

LoL...

Has anyone ever cancelled a pre-order before? What happens, and how long does it take?

Cheers.

Den.

Huh. Ah well, I have had both games preordered for a while now With BF being such a large scale game, we are likely to have to play with randomers, thus I would recommend using the steam voice chat for comms.

Battlefield was never my thing. But if other thumbs were to seriously get into it, I might consider getting it at some point. I should mention Bioshock 2 comes out next week and I am definately getting that. I haven't paid much attention to the multiplayer, so mind you I have no idea if it would be any good.

On another note, I finally managed to play the AvP demo and I didn't like one bit of it. So glad I wasn't goaded into preordering it.

The rule is they cannot and will not offer refunds on released software. From my second hand experience they will only offer a full refund if the product hasn't been released yet (even though it doesn't specifically say that). You should get a prompt reply to your refund request. The process of refunding itself though takes a couple of days.

I'd be fine with Bad Company 2. I think it would be a bunch of fun to play with squads of thumbs.

I've spent half an hour getting killed in the Bad Company Beta, sorta, 'borrowed' a friends Steam account and it seems like it'll really be one to get your teeth into, as long as you can find a group of like minded players... I'm not sure the gung-ho lone wolf will make it too far.

The question is, do I pre-order for £24.99 through gamestation.co.uk or blow £35 through Steam and get the beta to play?

S.

With AVP note that:

- It plays differently from most shooters, so it takes a little while to get familiar with the strength/weaknesses of each race.

- A lot of people aren't yet playing it properly in the demo. Lots of aliens walking on floors and predators not using their cloak. As people figure out how to play these races (which is starting to happen) the fun increases enormously.

- The demo is deathmatch but there are more modes in the full game that are awesome.

I found that AVP multiplayer is capable of creating really cinematic moments at times, and playing as marine in Infestation mode can be properly intense.

Edited by Marek

I've spent half an hour getting killed in the Bad Company Beta, sorta, 'borrowed' a friends Steam account and it seems like it'll really be one to get your teeth into, as long as you can find a group of like minded players... I'm not sure the gung-ho lone wolf will make it too far.

The question is, do I pre-order for £24.99 through gamestation.co.uk or blow £35 through Steam and get the beta to play?

S.

Preorder from play to get the beta, cancel it then order from game. worked for me!

Preorder from play to get the beta, cancel it then order from game. worked for me!

Well bought it through play.com, not going to worry about the three quid difference in cost with them and gamestation. It's that thirty five quid price break that makes me think twice.

S.

The rule is they cannot and will not offer refunds on released software. From my second hand experience they will only offer a full refund if the product hasn't been released yet (even though it doesn't specifically say that).

Might the free copy of Universe at War complicate things, then? Presumably that was already available to him.

Might the free copy of Universe at War complicate things, then? Presumably that was already available to him.

Hmm, didn't think of that. I have no idea how that will work out.

On a side note, I have managed to grab a beta key for BFBC2 without having to pre-order it first. I might end up buying it if things go better than the AvP demo.

We should organize a beta session. A full squad of Thumbs would be good.

I agree. We should put down our BFBC2 usernames. My ingame name is PiratePoo. ADD IT.

It'll be tough for me the next couple of days to play, as I've managed to flip my sleep around completely. I wake up some where in the middle of the night now. :hmph:

I agree. We should put down our BFBC2 usernames. My ingame name is PiratePoo. ADD IT.

It'll be tough for me the next couple of days to play, as I've managed to flip my sleep around completely. I wake up some where in the middle of the night now. :hmph:

I'm patters, I also coined patters666 in case the guy who stole it on ebay is a battlefield guy!

EDIT: Also the beta friend system is definitely a beta version, it doesn't say if your friends are online or in a game, though if they are able to be joined. Steam chat is very necessary at this point.

With AVP note that:

- It plays differently from most shooters, so it takes a little while to get familiar with the strength/weaknesses of each race.

- A lot of people aren't yet playing it properly in the demo. Lots of aliens walking on floors and predators not using their cloak. As people figure out how to play these races (which is starting to happen) the fun increases enormously.

- The demo is deathmatch but there are more modes in the full game that are awesome.

I found that AVP multiplayer is capable of creating really cinematic moments at times, and playing as marine in Infestation mode can be properly intense.

I would've loved to try out Infestation. It's a shame they didn't pick a mode other than Deathmatch. Cool thing in Deathmatch is that I often saw Marines working together. Same for the Aliens and the Predators.

It's a shame; I loved the old games. Even recently played AvP2 on LAN and had a bunch of fun. The new one just isn't for me. It's also the first game in which the muzzle flash of a rifle is so goddamn big that I frequently lost sight of the target I was aiming at. :frusty:

I'm interested in what the rest of you who played it think.