Sign in to follow this  
Thyroid

Poster and cover art

I like to try my hand at fan art for things I like, though I'm not very good at it yet. I'm not a big fan of doing a random scene, though, but I do like to draw cover art. I've taken a liking for posters lately as well. What I essentially do is try to re-draw so-so cover art, for example (like Grim Fandango's) and create film posters (I'm working on one for Maniac Mansion).

So, this is a selfish thread, one for posting wonderfully-designed or well-drawn posters and covers. I'll post three I really admire at first, just to get the ball rolling.

full20080115222806.jpg

This one annoys me, since I was doing something similar for Grim Fandango. I have other ideas, but still.

51RKyDlf%2B8L._SS500_.jpg

mockingbird.jpg

Edited by Kroms

So, this is a selfish thread

It's really not, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure most thumbs appreciate this kind of stuff. Remember Chris and Jake freaking out over that Command & Conquer concept art?

A bad cover isn't going to stop me from buying a book, but I'm certainly willing to pay a couple of euros extra for an edition with nicer artwork. A couple of examples

poster_animalfarm_lrg.jpg

and

1135246209481.jpeg

... which I already posted somewhere else.

I'm also pretty pissed right now because I got this in light blue

cover.jpg

The Book Design Review blog posts "favorite covers" lists of great book cover designs which caught their eye every year. Always worth a look. Here's 2009's list, which also links to their previous lists back to '05.

So at some point in the last few weeks I fell in love with old, pre-VII Final Fantasy game covers.

This one for XIV harkens back to that style. Not as pretty, but:

1285187382-00.jpg

I'm a sucker for this kind of art.

Edited by Kroms

I love his series of Star Wars posters. I got some prints made of them a while back. He also did a really nice series of Ghostbuster posters but I can't seem to see those of the flickr account.

http://www.behance.net/leon

http://fringefocus.com/portfolio - The Lord of the Rings poster are really nice.

Remember this? I picked that one because my awesome (yet poorly realised - it's supposed to be a minimalist portrait of Duke with the symbol as his shades) concept was overlooked.

We were one of a fair few forums homaging these .

Unrelated to those guys, the Venture Bros season 1 and 2 DVDs have some of my favorite poster-style art:

0002kybg

tumblr_lg25haG4qP1qcnahgo1_r1_500.jpg

Here's a recent one I made. It pales in comparison to all the stuff I just linked, by probably an order of magnitude, but hey! Making DVD packaging is really fun.

DevilsPlayhouseCollectorsDVDWrap.jpg

Cover painting and illustration at the top of the back by Steve Purcell, obviously. Devil's Playhouse logo by Stephen Whetstine

Menu stuff:

shorts.png

history.png

Sweet transition:

heh.png

In-game title sequence, a crappy fan rip:

FCUn89HUNcQ

Closing credits, in the style of some fictional late 70s/early 80s kids sci-fi show:

fOerr_fPIHE&NR

The idea with the Sam & Max Season 3 stuff, across the board, was to try and combine the aesthetics of 70s/80s B-run and direct to VHS sci-fi with the more traditional Sam & Max-style reference of 40s noir detective stories. I never got it to a place that I totally liked (especially the in-game main menus, which I had high hopes for but was never able to fully bring it in line with what I wanted), but hey. I love cheesy shine effects and weird colors, and I also like just-pre Modern mid-century stuff a lot. Working on Season Three was one of my favorite projects since people started paying me to make things.

Jake, I'm fucking counting on you to pick the most amazing cover in the world for the game you're working on, you got the material to do so, I trust you !

Here's a recent one I made. It pales in comparison to all the stuff I just linked, by probably an order of magnitude, but hey! Making DVD packaging is really fun.

That cover is super fucking classy. I love it!

Also probably because I haven't played Season 3 yet, but am I supposed to be accidentally reading "skunk rape" on that first menu screenshot?

When is Season 3 dvd supposed to come out anyway? Looks top class and I can't wait to have that on my shelf just like the previous seasons.

When is Season 3 dvd supposed to come out anyway? Looks top class and I can't wait to have that on my shelf just like the previous seasons.

I have one on my shelf right now!