toblix

Mass Effect 2

I beat Mass Effect 2 a few weeks ago. I immediately started a new game with a new Shepard, but I hated the decisions it was making for me.

"Kaidan is dead? Forget about this! I'm going back to the first Mass Effect and making my own decisions."

I started up Mass Effect 1. Almost immediately, ammo upgrades and seven different shotguns started pouring into my inventory.

Nooooo!

I beat Mass Effect 2 a few weeks ago. I immediately started a new game with a new Shepard, but I hated the decisions it was making for me.

"Kaidan is dead? Forget about this! I'm going back to the first Mass Effect and making my own decisions."

I started up Mass Effect 1. Almost immediately, ammo upgrades and seven different shotguns started pouring into my inventory.

Nooooo!

Yeah, the assumed actions for a clean ME2 game are lame. What made it worse is that various game sites were reporting that an early dialog tree would allow you set those options manually, but then it turned out that it was just a feature in the debug builds so that BioWare guys wouldn't have to keep a bunch of save files on hand when testing and showing the game.

Jesus, this game is boring. I don't remember if it's so different from Mass Effect 1, and it's only me hating everything, but this is just running around a generic space station, talking to some dudes and then it fades to running through a boring sci-fi level for twenty minutes shooting at boring crap.

Jesus, this game is boring. I don't remember if it's so different from Mass Effect 1, and it's only me hating everything, but this is just running around a generic space station, talking to some dudes and then it fades to running through a boring sci-fi level for twenty minutes shooting at boring crap.

NOOOOO!....I have very similar taste to Toblix, but I was really looking forward to this game!!! NNOOOOOO!

I respect your opinion, but DISAGREE! :tdown::sad:

I thought the environments were great. The shooting felt solid, and the biotic power recharge meter was fantastic. One of the better more simplistic HUDs that actually felt informative. And the dialog is part of the whole entire "role playing" aspect of that game. If you are trying to breeze through those segments, then in short: ur doin it rong!

ur doin it rong!

Internet slang alert!!!

WARNING: this internet user may have had toxic exposure to a dangerous webpage known as 4chan.org

In all seriousness, though, I'm going to take your word over that of Toblix in this situation, because I heart dialogue trees.

You're wrong, toblix, you're actually enjoying it but you probably had something that had gone bad for lunch.

Internet slang alert!!!

WARNING: this internet user may have had toxic exposure to a dangerous webpage known as 4chan.org

In all seriousness, though, I'm going to take your word over that of Toblix in this situation, because I heart dialogue trees.

The dialogue trees <3 you in Mass Effect! :D Especially if you go all the way Renegade or all the way Paragon.

Really, you think the dialogue trees in Mass Effect 2 is good? Maybe I've been missing all the awesome ones, but for me it's mostly:

- Hello and welcome to my store

- Give me a discount or else!

- Okay, okay, here's a discount

Oh, and just like in the first game, whenever there's a renegade choice, there's a paragon one, which means playing through the game again in the different style will be exactly the same.

Really, you think the dialogue trees in Mass Effect 2 is good? Maybe I've been missing all the awesome ones, but for me it's mostly:

Oh, and just like in the first game, whenever there's a renegade choice, there's a paragon one, which means playing through the game again in the different style will be exactly the same.

The ones where you talk to your crew and story centric ones are cool. And it's fun to ask people about the history and lore of the universe too. I'm not here to change your mind about the game, but I think you're doing it wrong still. :x

And there are differences in the Paragon and Renegade options. Did you import an old character that was strait up Paragon or Renegade? Have you been picking only one or the other? Sticking to your guns typically keeps it interesting for those options. And there are times where there are only Paragon options and no Renegade and vise versa. Don't give people who haven't played it the wrong idea about that stuff. I've played the game twice and can say in full confidence that is not true. And the interrupt system gets really awesome later on in certain crew loyalty missions. And the endings and paths do change. I've heard where endings have played out completely differently than mine. Which is the coolest part about that game to me! There are points where you can end up with different party members based on your actions.

How far have you played into the game? What all has happened so far? Are you on the Omega space station still? Based on your post before, that's what it's sounding like. Enlighten me a little here. How much Mass Effect 2 have you trudged through?

See my thing about Mass Effect 2 is that they approach the idea of a video game RPG from a different angle than other RPGs out there. It's a game that's fully voiced wherein you can inhabit a character. You literally play the role of Commander Shepard in a fictional universe. Not take care of stats and all of that jazz like in most western RPGs. So the game plays out more like a movie. The game relies on keeping its player interested via its dialog and events and string it together great gun play that never gets old because of the biotics and team control. (Which, BTW Toblix. What are your thoughts on the gun play and tech/biotic skills and controlling the team? What class are you playing and all that nerd talk stuff.) They made those mistakes in the first game. The stats lead you to believe you could use your crew members to hack stuff for you and what not, which wasn't the case. That disappointed a lot of people to the point they just stopped the game right there. The inventory was a mess in the first one. That made a lot of people quit as well. For ME2 they got rid of the bloat and kept what was strong and reiterated the level system so you clearly understand your party has combat skills only.

If the dialog system and environments bother you that much, then just move on to another game, then. The tough pill to swallow may be the fact that Mass Effect 2 just might not be for Toblix. :sad:

The ones where you talk to your crew and story centric ones are cool. And it's fun to ask people about the history and lore of the universe too. I'm not here to change your mind about the game, but I think you're doing it wrong still. :x
I'm probably doing it wrong, however, with such a streamlined game as this, I can't really see how.
And there are differences in the Paragon and Renegade options. Did you import an old character that was strait up Paragon or Renegade? Have you been picking only one or the other? Sticking to your guns typically keeps it interesting for those options.
Yeah, I continued playing my straight up bad mother fucker, who's a mean asshole to everyone except the Australian chick.
And there are times where there are only Paragon options and no Renegade and vise versa. Don't give people who haven't played it the wrong idea about that stuff. I've played the game twice and can say in full confidence that is not true.

Oh, I guess they diverge more further in the game, then. So far it's been both or nothing.

How far have you played into the game? What all has happened so far? Are you on the Omega space station still? Based on your post before, that's what it's sounding like. Enlighten me a little here. How much Mass Effect 2 have you trudged through?
I've pretty much gathered my entire crew. So far, the only thing I can remember being interesting is:

• The sunlight eating up my shields thing
  • The australian chick

When I came to planet where you recruit the Justicar, for a moment I thought I would get to solve a murder mystery, just like in the best missions from old RPG games, where you get a break from the action and just talk to everyone. Of course, it ended up being just another firefight. Luckily there were lots of crates for me to take cover behind, and the enemy stuck to their usual tactics and didn't try anything fresh, so taking care of them was easy if a little boring.

See my thing about Mass Effect 2 is that they approach the idea of a video game RPG from a different angle than other RPGs out there. It's a game that's fully voiced wherein you can inhabit a character.
Come on, now. There's not much unique about Mass Effect 2. The setting is interesting, and there's a metric ton of sweet assets and polish, but it has all been done before. Except the mining parts, which nobody did before because it's stupid and boring. It's astounding that they managed to find something even less worthwile than the procedurally generated Mako missions.

You literally play the role of Commander Shepard in a fictional universe. Not take care of stats and all of that jazz like in most western RPGs. So the game plays out more like a movie. The game relies on keeping its player interested via its dialog and events and string it together great gun play that never gets old because of the biotics and team control. (Which, BTW Toblix. What are your thoughts on the gun play and tech/biotic skills and controlling the team? What class are you playing and all that nerd talk stuff.) They made those mistakes in the first game. The stats lead you to believe you could use your crew members to hack stuff for you and what not, which wasn't the case. That disappointed a lot of people to the point they just stopped the game right there. The inventory was a mess in the first one. That made a lot of people quit as well. For ME2 they got rid of the bloat and kept what was strong and reiterated the level system so you clearly understand your party has combat skills only.
I don't even know what class I'm playing. I remember being an infiltrator in the first game, but when I read the class descriptions in this one they didn't really seem much different. I chose a weapons guy, I think. My dude has lots of guns, anyway.

I think the reason you love this game and I don't is that you seem to love the combat. I really don't, and the fact that it has become clear to me that every single mission in the entire game will be a combat one sort of tints my experience.

I loved the story and setting more than the combat. The combat was just a nice aside for me.

Certain party members' trust missions get way interesting. Maybe you'll find something you enjoy there if you stick with it.

Do we really need to love Mass Effect 2 for its combat? It's more straightforward than the first game, but I don't think it puts it above most other games.

I loved Mass Effect 2 for it's dialogue system, which helps it fully commit to its cheesy space opera nature. It's the best space dating sim I've ever played.

DISCLAIMER: My Shepard remained celibate throughout ME2. She's still holding a torch for Kaidan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/19/mass-effect-2-alternate-appearance-pack-dlc-adds-new-costumes/

"Free DLC card for Free DLC. Happy fun times"

"Buy new costumes for 2 bucks"

I don't understand.

It's pretty simple. Some of the dlc is free to prevent sellbacks (or to mitigate the effect of sellbacks since if you buy the cerberus network for a used copy they make a few bucks) the rest is just to milk money like the vast majority of dlc for other titles out there. Personally 3 new costumes for 2 bucks is kind of horse armor territory so I'll be skipping, but I've no problem paying for a new character plus mission content.

The DLC is for people like me, who will probably buy everything Mass Effect 2-related that exists. I don't mind DLC that offers something at cost to the real enthusiasts - nobody can really make the argument that missing out on $2 costumes will really reduce your enjoyment of the game.

The DLC is for people like me, who will probably buy everything Mass Effect 2-related that exists. I don't mind DLC that offers something at cost to the real enthusiasts - nobody can really make the argument that missing out on $2 costumes will really reduce your enjoyment of the game.

Yeah, the same can be said of me and Forza 3, at least thus far.

Check out what my friend found. A snackbar in Mass Effect 2:

febo2.jpg

A Snackbar chain in the Netherlands:

p177110feboinredlightdi.jpg

11209600000febovendingm.jpg

wtf.. it's even the same logo...

maybe it was a dutch guy that did those textures

(ps, febo is terrible)

There are also some choices that aren't as obvious without a second playthrough as a different alignment. Often times, if you ignore an interrupt action, you'll get an opposite-alignment dialog choice afterward.

Febo in Mass Effect 2? Isn't this a photofuck? I'd be very surprised if this was in.

Also, Febo has pretty good fries. I always like eating there.

On the train station in Amsterdam I saw people eating food out of greasy metal compartments in the wall.

Yeah, I never do that. That just thoroughly disgusts me. Who knows how long that food has been lying there next to some heater? When you order your food at Febo's it's good stuff though.

It is not a photoshop. I don't know the story behind it, but this is reeeEeEeeeAaaaAAaAALLL.