toblix

Mass Effect 2

Anyone know if this will have a "previously on" sequence? I like the idea of continuing the storyline from the first game, but I cant' remember anything. I think I played as a man who was rude to everyone except hot space chicks.

From what I've heard it's like KOTOR2 where you talk to people and they'll correct you if you say something wrong.
Yeah that is what I heard, Casey Hudson was on the latest Bombcast and they talked about that. If you import your character, when you select your save you will be able to see some of the key choices that you made, and then when you get in-game, there will be a conversation where you have to select what you did from the first game but if you're wrong, whoever you're talking to will remind you of what you did. If you didn't import your save, that conversation will decide on your Shepard's canon.

Yeah, this isn't much of a spoiler but supposedly an event happens at the beginning of the game where they ask you if you remember your past properly. It also gives them an excuse to say you had to undergo surgery to recuperate, letting you make changes to your appearance or class if you want as well.

I was actually really wondering about this, having pre-purchased ME2 on PC but played the first one on 360. I wanted to have my character carry over, but didn't know if it was going to work. In the end, I started replaying ME1 on PC to get the universe in the state that I wanted before playing the new one. I'm playing basically the same way, as I can never live with myself if I play the game evil-style, but with a different gender character to see what difference it makes to the game. The accident at the start of ME2 won't be so traumatic that my gender is in question, will it? If so, I should be able to get back to exactly where I was the first go 'round...

Any idea what's going to happen if you have 2 complete play-throughs? I finished the game a long time ago as an evil character, but I'm replaying the same guy on a second play through as good. Will it just choose the latest one to import (the good one) or give you an option to import either/or.

Also, was there any indication that you could import what choices you had made if you hadn't finished the first game but got through a chunk of it?

Any idea what's going to happen if you have 2 complete play-throughs? I finished the game a long time ago as an evil character, but I'm replaying the same guy on a second play through as good. Will it just choose the latest one to import (the good one) or give you an option to import either/or.

Each playthrough counts as a different save. ME2 allows you to import up to 11 saves. So, as long as you haven't played through the game 11 times, you could import each individual Shepard from each individual playthough (regardless of new game +) as the foundation for a ME2 playthrough.

Also, was there any indication that you could import what choices you had made if you hadn't finished the first game but got through a chunk of it?

ME2 imports a "hidden save" that occurs only at the game's completion. If you've only gotten part of the way through a ME playthrough, you will not have the option to import that save file.

Ahh, thanks.

Man, I wasn't really all that excited about the game, but I watched some of the class videos and I'm starting to get hyped. The game looks like a huge improvement. The hud (not sure how touchy people are about UI changes)

looks really sleek, but also looks like they took away a bunch of the information that used to be on screen. I'm sure it will all make sense in game, but that's my initial impression.

I'm going to get the game, so I figured I might as well preorder it and get all the extra crap. Problem is, the only place around here to do that is Gamestop, and that means endorsing those stupid-ass toilet commercials.

Anybody else having a really hard time deciding what class they're going to be? The changes to the non-Soldier ones sound awesome, but so does the soldier.

I'm going to get the game, so I figured I might as well preorder it and get all the extra crap. Problem is, the only place around here to do that is Gamestop, and that means endorsing those stupid-ass toilet commercials.

You can pre-order on Amazon.com and get release-date delivery. Might be too late for that now, though.

Best Buy, GameCrazy, and Amazon have the bonus "Inferno Armor" with preorder and Gamestop has the "Terminus Assault Armor" and "M-90 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon" with preorder. Don't make yourself buy it at Gamestop if only for the "free shit" angle.

Best Buy, GameCrazy, and Amazon have the bonus "Inferno Armor" with preorder and Gamestop has the "Terminus Assault Armor" and "M-90 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon" with preorder. Don't make yourself buy it at Gamestop if only for the "free shit" angle.

I'm really getting fed up with the add on content free if you pre order the game from us deal, admittedly it can be cool if the deal is good, which I am more likely to preorder. I have done this with Banjo Nuts and Bolts getting Banjo 1 free, the new AVP for Universe at war and will probably get Bioshock 2 with 1 for free.

Really though, free armor or weapons in a game like Mass Effect makes zerod ifference to me. It's not what the game I play is about, so I don't care.

If it was quests, npcs, party members they you're giving me something; but really to do this properly would be pretty difficult and costly... flash to DA with their added party member that I eventually broke that would cause me to get exported into the sky box.

Really though, free armor or weapons in a game like Mass Effect makes zerod ifference to me. It's not what the game I play is about, so I don't care.

If it was quests, npcs, party members they you're giving me something; but really to do this properly would be pretty difficult and costly... flash to DA with their added party member that I eventually broke that would cause me to get exported into the sky box.

Well, the Cerberus Network code that'll come with new copies of the game for free and available on the Xbox Live Marketplace for $15 for used game buyers will provide just that - new quests, party members, armor, weapons, etc.

Well, the Cerberus Network code that'll come with new copies of the game for free and available on the Xbox Live Marketplace for $15 for used game buyers will provide just that - new quests, party members, armor, weapons, etc.

Yeah, they did that with DA and my experience with it was written above, so really it doesn't factor for me.

I almost missed it, I got a text from a buddy and queued it on another friends iPhone. Success!

I'm really curious as to how this was possible, hehe. Yeah i got the msg last night while sleeping and decided not to care; doesn't this stuff come with the purchase anyway now?

I'm confused about the whole thing; kind of like with the DA stuff where I got the regular game, but then got a bunch of dlc regardless.

I'm really curious as to how this was possible, hehe. Yeah i got the msg last night while sleeping and decided not to care; doesn't this stuff come with the purchase anyway now?

I'm confused about the whole thing; kind of like with the DA stuff where I got the regular game, but then got a bunch of dlc regardless.

Not entirely sure myself. My spidy senses just went off when I saw the word "Free". Bioware have a weird DLC logic currently.

Sorry, I was curious more about how your queued something up on your xbox(or pc?) from your iphone? Because it sounds like that could be something useful I could use my unused iphone for :)

Sorry, I was curious more about how your queued something up on your xbox(or pc?) from your iphone? Because it sounds like that could be something useful I could use my unused iphone for :)

Oh, sorry. Well, a buddy texted me to tell me that thing had broken. So I borrowed someones Iphone, used the links on the IGN site, which links you to the Xbox website, and I just added them to my profiles download queue. You can buy and set up a queue on your account from the Xbox main website, with anything. I was a bit tentative, but I turned my X360 on when I got home, and they all downloaded. I guess I have to buy the game now :P

I was curious more about how your queued something up on your xbox(or pc?) from your iphone?

Sombre is right; Microsoft added that ability a few months ago, I think. Good for them; I find it easier to type in the code for my Xbox points gift card on my laptop through Xbox.com rather than on the console with my Xbox controller.

Back on topic, I made my pre-order for Mass Effect 2 with Best Buy. Unlike a prior pre-order I placed with Gamestop, I didn't give them my phone number. Best Buy just gave me a receipt---with no release date on it.

I guess they figure if I'm savvy enough to pre-order, I'm savvy enough to know when the game comes out. Unless, of course, Best Buy doesn't plan to have copies tomorrow...

I managed to snag the Collector's DLC... I imagine that I missed it only by a couple minutes, because there was no indication that it was shut down when I saw the story break on various sites and people started posting about failures right after I tried. :(

Because it sounds like that could be something useful I could use my unused iphone for :)

Use it for Canabalt. I've never played that game but I can still tell that it's incredible.

Use it for Canabalt. I've never played that game but I can still tell that it's incredible.

Don't they have a flash version of it?

Yep, I've played that, it was neat; I liked the mirrors edge flash game more though.

Update: So on my way home I figured I'd see if anyone would sell it to me, I mean futureshop is selling it at midnight(in 6 hours) so what's the big deal. My best bet was some local french store, I mean why would they give a shit? Laize faire my ass, wouldn't do it.

Just going to skip work tommorrow.

Edited by Murdoc

Just like with Dragon Age, I ordered the collector's edition (PC version) straight from the EA store and it got delivered today.

The way the game opens is fantastic. Right from the first half hour, you're already wrapped in a mystery - specifically when you find out who was responsible for saving your life from that accident. I can say without a doubt, the combat is much, much better and the controls overall feel more fluid. The hacking stuff still isn't great but on the plus side the world isn't nearly as stale as most of BioWare's stuff. So far - I'm impressed.

The accident at the start of ME2 won't be so traumatic that my gender is in question, will it? If so, I should be able to get back to exactly where I was the first go 'round...

No, you can pretty much change everything except gender. You might want to take a look at this site full of ME1 PC saves and see if there's something close enough to your original playthrough, especially since you can change your looks.