Korax

Fucking PC gaming!

Talking about Fucking PC Gaming, I bought both King's Bounty games and they both crash either immediately or within 5 minutes of being in-game. :|

Well every 3d ap went to 1-5fps max, no clue why, maybe my video card took a dive, maybe its the power supply, I have no idea. Tried reinstalling win 7 again and while this time went smoother, I still said I never wanted to touch another computer again.

Anyway, will see when i get home if I can continue playing.

Until then I started up uncharted 2 as it was sitting there for awhile and turned it off when the first two fucks I meet are literally alistar(had to check imdb to see if I was going nuts) and morrigan from dragon age. It's just not the right time to spend more time with those people.

Huh, I didn't know that Flynn's actor was also in Dragon Age, cool. With Nolan North being in everything and Claudia Black picking up steam, I didn't realize the talent pool for game voice acting was so shallow. Or at least, that the Uncharted cast was so sought after.

Talking about PC gaming. Is it just me, or is aiming in console games (with a gamepad) overly complicated? Or is this just the case with Uncharted 1. I'm quite good with shooting on the PC using mouse and keyboard, and hardly waste ammo. But on the console I'm spending ammo like a spoiled brat spend money in a shoe store.

I'd say it's more complicated because you're not directly controlling the position aim (as with a PC mouse), but instead the acceleration, so there's a layer of something in there.

hah I thought of this thread tonight, since I built my machine a few months back the mouse cursor always blows up to 4x its size making it look stupid and fat. No other side effects, just a giant giant mouse cursor.

Googling suggested it was a bug that only appeared with the type of video card I had (5870) combined with the type of motherboard I had (ga-p55m). Driver updates could not fix this but apparently flashing the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision would make it go away.

So I set about flashing the BIOS and it seemed to go OK and I rebooted my machine to a nice "Operating system not found" during boot. Sweet.

Took about 30 minutes but I found a BIOS setting that had been reset during the wipe to reconfigure the RAID I have on my HDD.

I don't think you get this kind shit on any other popular platform.

It's been about 4 hours since I got the machine back up and my cursor still maintains its slender and fit figure so here's hoping...

I certainly find console aiming less intuitive - it felt genuinely odd that GTA helped you to aim on the PC, whereas on the XBox it is a literal life (bar) saver, despite its eccentricities. On the other hand, I can't aim for toffee with either format, so I may not be the ideal control group. Also, on the PC I used Razer's software to play around with mouse sensitivity on the fly, which helps, I think, to suit the movement to the action. Possibly the Razer Onza will produce the equivalent experience for the XBox...

Oh man, Pungspark, running Windows 7? Whenever I'm working with certain programs, after a while it seems to switch to the Aero Extra Large cursor scheme. When I check the mouse pointer settings, it says it's still on the default normal setting. Such a silly bug.

Yes, Windows 7. Do you have the same hardware? I've had problems with video playback as well, viewing HD from YouTube sometimes would bring the machine to it's knees. The screen would update every 2 seconds maybe. Background processes would be fine and music still playing without problems some something to do with the display.

Luckily no such problems for me, just the mouse cursor thing. I have an i7 and a GTX260 in this PC. It only seems to happen when I use a tablet in conjunction with Photoshop.

I am getting the parts for my newest PC soon, what is the first game I should play? I was thinking either Dragon Age, Left for Dead 2, Dawn of War 2, or Arkam Asylum.

Get L4D2, but know that it's not that good unless you're in a group. Once you have it, join in on Thumb games and love it. Otherwise, that list seems pretty great. I'd go with Arkham first, but then I've still not played Dragon Age, so people may consider my opinion invalid.

Well, I'm back on XP and guess what? Turns out it wasn't Windows 7 shitting on my hardware, I get an awesome 3fps in TF2 on XP now too!

So big coincidence that right around the time I install Windows 7 something just decided to give up? Guess so. So now I get to go one by one and wonder what's crapping up the performance... video card I guess? Who knows!

I heard a rumor way back like a decade ago that I'll repeat and if anyone wants to jump in to confirm or deny; but maybe it's the power supply being too weak?

Would that slow my computer down? I just figured it would power off. Because aside from that, I guess it could be the video card, and if it isn't that, the cpu; all of this stuff is pretty expensive and I really don't have the will or money to pay for any of it right now.

So glad I stuck with mass effect 1 on xbox so I can continue the sequel on it, if it wasn't I'd probably be going ape shit right around now and going in debt to get a new computer by Tuesday.

Seriously though, now I sometimes do look at the consoles and think "hm, dumb peasants the lot of them". All they want is in your face action games! And they can't even play them properly!

Sort of joking.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Goddamnit.

Oh man, Crane Simulator 2009 looks so much like a joke photoshop that it's ridiculous. I would buy that just to have it on my shelf. Fucking awesome!

Oh man, Crane Simulator 2009 looks so much like a joke photoshop that it's ridiculous. I would buy that just to have it on my shelf. Fucking awesome!

The thing is, it's 2 for £25. How could you choose between just two?!

Well, I'm back on XP and guess what? Turns out it wasn't Windows 7 shitting on my hardware, I get an awesome 3fps in TF2 on XP now too!

So big coincidence that right around the time I install Windows 7 something just decided to give up? Guess so. So now I get to go one by one and wonder what's crapping up the performance... video card I guess? Who knows!

I heard a rumor way back like a decade ago that I'll repeat and if anyone wants to jump in to confirm or deny; but maybe it's the power supply being too weak?

Would that slow my computer down? I just figured it would power off. Because aside from that, I guess it could be the video card, and if it isn't that, the cpu; all of this stuff is pretty expensive and I really don't have the will or money to pay for any of it right now.

So glad I stuck with mass effect 1 on xbox so I can continue the sequel on it, if it wasn't I'd probably be going ape shit right around now and going in debt to get a new computer by Tuesday.

Normally a weak power supply would cause crashing or immediate power down. Here's a nifty calculator for what kind of power you need for your pc.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

For low fps I would start with the video card and go from there.

Yes, unlikely to be your PSU causing slowdown, it'd just reboot or power off. Video drivers are your first port of call. Also, check all of your BIOS settings to make sure nothing's set to go slower than it should, crashes can sometimes cause them to underclock the CPU, etc.

Cool, thanks for the calculator.

Yeah I dunno is then, 3 fresh installs, two different OS's, it's the hardware alright, but no idea what would cause it. I was getting a lot of bluescreens with Windows 7 and then they suddenly stopped... and thats when everything started to slow down.

I'll check out the bios settings, maybe that explains it; thanks!

I've never gotten a bluescreen on Windows 7, and if any system should it's mine. So there's your cue, somethings off.

Does your computer have a turbo button? If so, you should make sure it's set to the on position.

Edited by toblix

Cant find the turbo button, guess I didn't get the turbo edition :(

Anyway, didn't see anything odd in the bios, but after looking I decided to take out the antivirus since I was on a trail version with it(testing somethign new) and everything magically works!

Yeah, don't get it, getting good frames in tf2 again, so not sure whats up, maybe just looking at the bios worked? who knows. Everything works, I don't know why it didn't, I don't know why it is working now; so yeah, fuck pc gaming. :)

Cant find the turbo button, guess I didn't get the turbo edition :(

Anyway, didn't see anything odd in the bios, but after looking I decided to take out the antivirus since I was on a trail version with it(testing somethign new) and everything magically works!

Yeah, don't get it, getting good frames in tf2 again, so not sure whats up, maybe just looking at the bios worked? who knows. Everything works, I don't know why it didn't, I don't know why it is working now; so yeah, fuck pc gaming. :)

antivirus can mess with things occasionally. Which program was it?

I totally wish I still had a button that made me have 66mhz instead of 33! go 486's!