Korax

Fucking PC gaming!

Cheers, the Envy 15 is coming in at that price, the Envy 14 a little more. Card on the 15 is a Radeon 5830, card on the 14 is a Radeon 5650.

Price seems like a sweet spot for people like me who are willing to spend a bit more on a laptop. I spent over two grand on the Macbook I'm using but I'm done with Apple, their hardware has been hugely problematic, and especially with my interest in games there's not much reason to pay an extra 700 dollars for the class of laptop I want. Sorry, mini-rant over.

http://www.tested.com/asus-g73jh-gaming-notebook-review/47-70/

review for the Asus, it seems like a great machine, but, hot damn is it big.

Yeah, it looks really sweet, and I like the design too. But it's just so bloody big...

Well, my motherboard just fried. Had it for 3 years, and to make things worse the company I bought it from , Vigor Gaming, is out of business.

My motherboard was :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131073

On the plus side, it wasn't very good, burned up some RAM and had to format a couple of times as well. Good riddance. Thinking I'll get a new mobo , and might as well take this opportunity to upgrade to windows 7 64bit. Thinking I don't want another Asus , any suggestions ?

I've got a nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB and 2x1GB DDR2 ram and Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 -3.00GHz.

Bloody Hell. Trying to play Fort Zombie, which - and I know that this is not the point - isn't even that good, has made me want to throw my PC into the sea. I had to install an older version of XNA, update PhysX and do something unpleasant to .NET before it didn't immediately quit to desktop. Once it's actually running, it _still_ quits to desktop more than I would really like to.

I know this isn't really my PC's fault, but Jesus.

I've been trying to get the copy of Beyond Good & Evil to work in Steam because I bought a copy when it was for five euros during summer and I can't get it to work.

Is this a common problem with the game that it keeps telling me that "the video card drivers are not up to date" even though I have the latest ATI drivers? Also after that it throws some Direct3D error on the screen.

I have installed some package from Microsoft for older DirectX dll's that the later drivers for Win7 apparently didn't have anymore.

Fooking PC gaming, I should just hunt this down for Gamecube and play it with Wii. :(

Tried loading STALKER Clear skies last weekend, turned everything to max and restarted. Well tried to restart, never got past the splash screen in Windows, couldn't even go back in to the menus to reset config to default.

I deleted the config file so the game reset itself and I was able to start a game but when I got out of bed after the intro I couldn't move, I could look around but not move. Anyone had this?

Fooking PC gaming, I should just hunt this down for Gamecube and play it with Wii. :(

I played it on PC last year, and while I eventually managed to get a satisfactory button layout on my 360 controller with some kind of mapping program (the game has no support for pads), there were a load of weird things with the graphics. Took me a long time to sort out, and I loved the game, but playing on console is probably advisable.

I played it on PC last year, and while I eventually managed to get a satisfactory button layout on my 360 controller with some kind of mapping program (the game has no support for pads), there were a load of weird things with the graphics. Took me a long time to sort out, and I loved the game, but playing on console is probably advisable.

I found this from random forum, this doesn't help with my issue, but should help with the graphical problems:

PROBLEM: FLICKERING TEXTURES AND SHIFTY EYES!?!?!

FIX: Ok The Forerunner. Here is what you need to do to make it all better (believe me, it looks WAY WAY better without all the artifacting).

Go into your Steam > steamapps > common > beyond good and evil > SettingsApplication.exe

On the tab you start out in "Graphics Settings", you can mess with your resolution, I have mine at 1440x900. Jump to the "Advanced Settings" tab and you can jack up water detail, antialiasing, flare, and shadows quality as high as you want. I had to lower antialiasing just a bit to keep my FPS up.

Now on the right click on the "manual compatibility" checkbox. Everything except W Buffer should be checkmarked. Now, all you need to do is uncheck "HW Vertex Processing".

HW Vertex Processing is the option I found that causes all of the artifacting and shifty eyes.

DESYNCHED AUDIO? Try lowering/disabling your AA!

Have you tried the compatibility modes?

Cool, I tried Win XP SP3 compatibility mode and it worked. Really weird to see it up and running again. Must test more as all the menus work normally but the whole game is really slow and sluggish even though the sound works at normal speed.

Huh, and I thought I was being a dick for suggesting you might not have tried the compatibility modes!

Can't get v-sync working in Amnesia, by any method. It's not very scary with horrible screen tearing.

Huh, and I thought I was being a dick for suggesting you might not have tried the compatibility modes!

Hahah, well I've never remembered that Windows has the compatibility function in it these days. So thanks brkl. :tup:

Surprising well it works at least in this case. I'm now looking into the slowdown thing. One solution according to the internet™ is:

Here's the fix for the sync problems:

- Launch the game, then immediately switch back to the windows desktop by pressing "Alt+Tab"

- Right click BGE.exe then select "Set Affinity"

- Uncheck everything except one (example: leave CPU 1 checked)

- Download this nifty app that stops BG&E from running too fast: http://theunusualsuspect.com/software/process

- Before running BG&E, you must always run this app and make sure you start it.

- For the safety of your PC, make sure you shutdown "process.exe" after you finish playing BG&E as stated on the site.

Actually in Steam forums they say that the main problem of this game is that with multiple core processors the game needs to be run on one core only. I think I had the same problem with Riddick before. I have to check that at home.

It's really pain in the ass that Ubisoft and also Valve have not invested time to make the game work on modern PC's without it turning into a FUCKING PC GAMING situation once again.

I thank Sid Meier for the regular autosaves in Civ 5. To be fair, I'm running it on an Alienware M11X R1, which has a processor/GFX card combination pretty well unknown outside... the Alienware M11X R1.

L4D2 is a stuttery mess for some reason, even with multicore off.

Every PC game I buy these days has some stupid graphical fault that doesn't affect enough people for the developers to give a fuck.

I have that issue with Source games in general. They just don't work properly on this computer, regularly making corrupted purple textures pop up, random wall transparency and occasionally just full-screen crazy lightning disc texture malfunction. It sucks because I used to enjoy playing TF2, and I really want to play Portal 2... I might have to get it on the 360, which is just a terrible idea.

So I guess this one goes in here.

I just tried to install my Limited Edition of Dreamfall to my Windows 7 64-bit.

I didn't know that the European release had the annoying Starforce protection system. It brought down my whole Windows and after reboot Windows started some repair program and I thought now the whole installation is damaged. Windows 7 doesn't like drivers like Starforce apparently.

Is there anyway to get this to work and get around the god damn Starforce?

I think I need to go to Funcom's message board to check if there's some way to play this game. Not really interested in buying it from Steam because it's 20 euros there and I'd like to play my legally owned dvd of the game damnit... :(

EDIT: Apparently some patch might work with this or a no cd fix. Lets see...

Hahaa, I totally forgot about Dreamfall for ONE YEAR and today morning I did some investigating and found out that Aspyr Media's latest patch works with Empire Interactive's UK limited edition! I installed the game, applied the patch and deleted the dll and exe of the damn Starforce from the game folder and wawazat! It works! :tup::clap::woohoo:

Five years since the game's release and now I finally managed to get the game actually working, nice nice nice. I have no idea why I did not do this investigating years before as once upon a time Dreamfall was my most wanted game.

I'm already loving the fact that there's a proper widescreen support and 1920x1200 resolution support with all the anti-alisiasing and other eye candy turned to the max.

And now you only have to sit through one of the worst gaming experiences created.

Oh, and press a button or two once in a while.

Well, that's a whole another story when I eventually start to play this one. I got quite a lot of other games still before this one.

I'm still high because of these achievements to get older games running. I bet I get most enjoyment out of old games when I successfully get them playing on new computers, it's not the actual game that counts. :shifty: