Sign in to follow this  
toblix

New Year's Resolutions are Fucking Bull Shit

Regardless, my resolution is to be more lenient towards games, and allow for more crap before I dismiss a game. This resolution will allow me to resume playing MGS4. It's inspired by the good feeling I got when I beat Batman: Arkham Asylum, despite having to retry some hard fights a bunch of times. It was really annoying, but in the end I think I felt that it was worth it.

Another resolution is to buy an awesome new computer in the following months.

While Video Games is two words, bullshit is one. Get with the game, toeblix.

My resolution is to finish the following vigis:

• The Pitt
  • Ratchet & Clank: Crack in time/Tools of Description/Booty something
  • Uncharted 1+2
  • Little Big Planet
  • Brutal Legend
  • Spirit Tracks

Well, a middle name is supposed to be just that, a single word. However, your middle name is video games, two words. Get with it.

I know. I was just trying to do the thing that people do, where they write "mother fucker", "good bye", etc. I guess I failed.

Wait a fucking minute. New year's resolutions are only as bull shot as you allow them to be. I always have excellent resolutions, which admittedly are more like plans for the year, and I always make it a point to meet them. This last year I had a 100% success rate, and my aim was both audacious and high, sir!

For this year, I have another slew of great plans, not the least of which is finishing my long-standing webcomic Ye Olde Captain August, for which I expect great merriment from my poorly served throng of revelers! Sir!

As far as new year's gaming resolutions goes, here's what I've planned.

• Give up earlier on a game, if I find it not-so-special
  • Play some multiplayer games over the intertube, with my fellow thumbeteers if possible
  • Stop being afraid of trying an MMO, subscribe to EVE Online for a few months
  • Play a game in coop
  • Play all games in the indie compendium thread (50%)
  • Be aware of what's going on the indie scene
  • Play a Diablo like (10% complete :I bought Torchlight on the 1st of January^^)
  • Only talk about games I liked or whose failure I find interesting
  • Try reading more than half of Grand Text Auto website news/article to completion
  • Play a Tactical game
  • Not be a completionist
  • Buy games from these sources, at this price, in this order of preference: dev website (fullprice), steam (full price, half price if released more than 3 months ago or dirt cheap if it's been released more than 6 months ago), steam like, box (second hand)
  • Play at least once and for at least 90 minutes all the games I've got in my steam list
  • Give my DS some love
  • Buy a proper gaming computer

It might just be doable so if you've got any suggestions for the genres I'll try up, please do send them my way.

ALSO - because not doing it will eat me from the inside all- year long HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!:woohoo:

Edited by vimes

Buy second hand? Sjeesh. Then the developers will not get any cut. You might as well download an illegal copy for free if you want to stick it to the developers.

Buy second hand? Sjeesh. Then the developers will not get any cut. You might as well download an illegal copy for free if you want to stick it to the developers.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't mean second hand, I meant second edition (like platinium games for the PS3 ?) .

I'm keeping up with my new year's resolutions, and I have kept with a good percentage in the past.

Mine:

- Finalize getting back into shape. Look awesome for you're 21st birthday. Progress. Progress!

- Don't be a fucking twat. I don't know if I can do this one, but I'm going to have to try to balance out my tendency to criticize everything and my fanboyism when it comes to Telltale/Tim Schafer/whatever. I did a bad job of it posting on Mixnmojo last year and I'm going to try and do a better one now.

- Get better marks. I'm in high B/low A territory right now. I can do better, and I will.

Thinking positive! Let it rub off ya.

:oldman::wtf:

1. Play some games.

Already winning my resolutions.

Oh, games-related stuffs...get an awesome PC, play at least 50% of Dragon Age, and get good at Left 4 Dead 2. Hm. Probably code my first little game. Or at least learn how to code my first little game.

Yeah, that reminds me. There's no reason I shouldn't have made at least one stupid little flash game before I die. I know how, so it's just a matter of not being lazy and giving up too soon on every endeavour.

Regardless, my resolution is to be more lenient towards games, and allow for more crap before I dismiss a game. This resolution will allow me to resume playing MGS4. It's inspired by the good feeling I got when I beat Batman: Arkham Asylum, despite having to retry some hard fights a bunch of times. It was really annoying, but in the end I think I felt that it was worth it.

Where did you stop playing Metal Gear? I quit after two boss fights and to be honest, with so many good games I'm yet to finish, I don't think I'm going to continue any time soon.

I didn't (nor am I going to) make any new year's resolutions this year. I guess I could try to play video games more than I did last year. I don't know.

Where did you stop playing Metal Gear?

Right at the city part where you're following some dude or something. Then a bunch of soldiers appear and kill you.

My resolution is the same as last year:

Finish 50 games (I made it to 32 last year)

I finished 1 last night so I'm off to a good start.

The lamest thing about this title's thread is that's it's an attempt at being cynical in order to sound cool... I hate that. (Sorry, Toblix.)

Bullshit, I say, to negativity... (which is pretty much what Toblix actually said :tup:)

For my own resolutions, I think the main thing I need (in my life) is to feel I'm being more creative. I'm getting older and I can't keep waiting for someone else to come along and "help" me realise my creative potential (whatever that may actually be, good or bad), so I need to a bit more proactive and start making things happen myself. As a result, I think I'll be very upset with myself if I've not attempted one really difficult/scary thing in my life by the end of the year.

Here's hoping.

In terms of games/entertainment, I have one ethos I hope to embrace from now on (in a note I wrote that I recently discovered):

Life is too short to re-play games, re-read books, re-watch movies... Push forward, embrace the unknown, try the things you think you'll hate. Love change.

This thinking was inspired by the fact that there's so much "classic" stuff that I still haven't read/watched/played, and there's only a finite amount of time left to appreciate them... I'm getting older. It was also inspired by me putting every IMDB Top 250 movie that I've not watched onto my LoveFilm rental list -- and, even though it may take me many weeks to finally get around to watching an old black and white foreign movie that would otherwise not have interested me in the slightest, I've found myself loving every single one so far. Some have become favourite movies, some were just profoundly good. So yes, damnit, I'm going to keep trying to chase new experiences. Onward ho! No time to look back!

Right at the city part where you're following some dude or something. Then a bunch of soldiers appear and kill you.

No point playing past that, the rest of the video game (sorry, I mean film) is even bull shittier.

I actually stole this resolution from Shawn Andrich over at GWJ who made this promise last year, but I'm going to play a game every month that's not usually in my wheelhouse. Looking at my Steam list, I see a lot of potentials... Sam & Max, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Penumbra, X-Com, Zeno Clash, and many more come to mind.

I tend to make resolutions year round rather than once a year. To that end I've been logging hours on ten or so things I want to learn or practice in my spare time, and have managed 52 hours since August last year. I want it to be more every month, since the target I set for most of them is 100 hours.

Since beginning, I learned to solve Rubik's cubes in about 3 minutes, more about Arduino development, picked up Systema and found a class that runs twice a week, became slightly better at contact juggling, and worked out 15 times and thought that wasn't enough at less than once a week.

So: less TV/internet/games*, more learning :tup: Also, on the very rare occasions I feel bored, I'll be rolling a D10 to decide what to devote an hour or two to.

* Though resolution two is to carve through my newfound backlog of games, which is largely due to toblix :)

The lamest thing about this title's thread is that's it's an attempt at being cynical in order to sound cool... I hate that. (Sorry, Toblix.)

That's okay.

Speaking of okay, another huge resolution that just hit me, is that I will try not to swear at all in my posts. It's not because I think swearing is wrong or lame (it's fucking awesome), but because for some reason it's gotten completely out of hand when I write on the internet, and it's dumb and stupid. I wonder if it's because I never actually swear when speaking, and I'm channelling it all to here. Also, I'll try to post less (because I rarely have anything to say) and less negatively. I think I've improved on the whin(g)ing side quite a bit since back when I was banned for it, but I'm not quite there yet.

toe blix

My resolutions:

Get new job

Get new abode

Not necessarily in that order; possibly simultaneously. I'm not being remotely ambitious, but there's every chance I'll fail anyway, because I'm useless like that. I've never really been one for resolutions. In fact, those aren't really new year's resolutions, they're just things I decided to do a while ago. I'm participating!

My resolution is to try to get back into online gaming. I haven't played any online game since HLDM / TFC. People were dickish enough when it was just text chat, so I'm feeling a bit daunted by the prospect of voice chat.

Also, I want to play more indie games.

Edited by spindrift
typos

2 fairly small ones: not fuck up this year at uni, and not destroy m any more computers

1 larger one: start to learn c++

and 1 small one: get my coat back from whoever the fuck took it from the pub I was at on new years.

I'm with you on this one, James. New home, new job. Home, hopefully with girlfriend. Job, not because I don't like my current one (I fucking love it) but because my current one is a student/great while in school job and I'll be graduating this year. Gotta get me a grown-up job sometime soon, at least for a year or so while I figure out where/if to do a master's.

And 'blix, if you give up swearing, I honestly don't know if I'll recognize your posts. Please don't deprive us of gems like this!