ThunderPeel2001

Google Wave

This is hilarious. If you've heard all the hype and been left wondering What is Google Wave, Richard Cobbett has the answer:

With invites flying around the web, everyone's asking: what is Google Wave? The real question is: what isn't it? Because Google Wave is more than just a website. It's a platform. It's a revolution. It's a magic machine capable of bringing life to desolate planets through terraforming. It raises the dead. It divides by zero. You cannot be told what Google Wave is, you must experience it for yourself!

But that's not all!

If you dip Google Wave in water, it produces copies of itself. Do not feed Google Wave after midnight! Google Wave is not a toy. Google Wave answers the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. Google Wave even produces the question. With Google Wave, all your problems will be over, especially if those problems involve the absence of Google Wave in your life. Google Wave tastes of cherries, unless you don't like cherries, in which case strawberries. Or cherry and strawberries, for the user who wants it all. Google Wave is the sensation multiple orgasms aspire to. Google Wave is not merely the Alpha and the Omega, but the Google Wave and the Google Wave, for all else has been rendered meaningless before its literally indescribable brilliance!

And it's still in beta!

Google Wave is the only thing in the world capable of beating up both Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer without breaking a sweat. It is no relation to the Mexican Wave. If you wave at Google Wave, the universe itself crashes. Nodding is acceptable. Shaking your fist is right out. Stop being mean to Google Wave! It died for your sins!

With Google Wave, your work will be done for you, but your boss will never know. It will find you a date for the weekend and hide the body afterwards. Google Wave can time-travel. Google Wave will usher in first contact with the Vulcans. The history of all things was merely a prelude to Google Wave. A footnote at that.

...or maybe it's just a mix of wiki, e-mail and Google Docs. But from all the fuss about it online at the moment, that can't be it, right?

Not that I'd know. No bugger's sent me an invite yet.

I have never heard of this thing before

It was announced the same day Microsoft announced Bing -- and completely stole its thunder, depending on what blog you were reading. The hype surrounding it is... large.

v_UyVmITiYQ

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Do I understand this correctly? Is this a case of Google saying: "Hey, you know that XMPP stuff we used to built Gchat? Let's use it to rebuild e-mail, document editing, and everything on the Internet!"

I don't think this is a terrible idea. Even if it doesn't change the world and only results in companies making a few bulked-up instant messaging clients, it should be worth a look.

Google Wave requires cooperation that is frustratingly unseen on the Internet, though. Look at OpenID. So many sites will issue an OpenID, but almost no sites trust IDs issued by other websites---meaning you still have to sign up to comment for each new site.

If anyone has an invite for me, I will provide naked pix in exchange thx

This is what Google Wave is to me at the moment:

rDu2A3WzQpo

That is because I haven't bothered to read any of the lengthy articles describing it or watch that long video.

Man, I forgot it was built on XMPP, which is cool. For years I've been thinking that people at workplaces should use XMPP (aka Jabber) instead of MSN, Skype, other proprietary stuff. Every company should have an IM server or hosted solution, like they do for e-mail. And I just managed to kind of sneak in a public XMPP server at the company I work for. Bwahahaha. It doesn't get much use yet, though. And will probably be deprecated by Wave?

PS. If Wave is not very buggy at this point and someone has an invite, I wouldn't hate you for sending me one.

This is what Google Wave is to me at the moment:

<video>

That is because I haven't bothered to read any of the lengthy articles describing it or watch that long video.

Of course, the lava lamp hasn't needed a makeover in the past 40 years, so why should email?

Just kidding. It does look like it could be cool. But I'm not going to go begging for an invite. ;)

I'm in it now, but waiting for it to give me invites. It seems to work pretty well like most of google's web interfaces, and I really like the idea of something less kludgey than email and forums.

Nonetheless, pretty lonely in there right now, I'm not in a very big circle of users, so lucky to get more than a handful of messages appear per day.

Apparently, only the "roots" of the invite trees get more invites now. So, if you got an invite from someone who invited you, you don't get any invites to hand out yourself. Or something

It does look like it could be cool. But I'm not going to go begging for an invite. ;)

Screw that! I'm begging!

Puuuuhleeeze, the next one who gets an invite, hand it over to an invite-starving bugger like me.

I still don't quite understand why anyone would need it.

Me, me, me, me as well! I would be eternally grateful.