gdf

Recently completed video games

TP, did you beat the updated Steam version I heard about? Did they do anything apart from adding achievements?

I recently beat Alice: Madness Returns and I hate how the game

"boss-blocks" you all the way until the end and how she's aware that Wonderland is just in her mind and that it's in turmoil because she's keeping some secret from herself she can't bare to remember.

But I loved most of the gameplay, the combat was fun, but I hated the collectibles in the game, you collect bottles that do NOTHING unless you collect them all and what you'd get for collecting them is... concept art? :frusty:

I have nothing against concept art, but when you have to put that much effort in it to see it? That's just asking too much.

And since it's Halloween I played Braindead 13. I had forgotten how non-linear the game was. Most FMV games are linear, but in this game you can choose in which order you confront "mini-bosses" before the finale and I spent quite a while going in circles until I had a mental map of the game in my brain. Of course, the best part of the game are the hilarious death animations, it's a shame he doesn't scream as much as Dirk though.

It's amazing how much they got wrong in the Special Edition of The Secret of Monkey Island. I don't want to turn Comic Book Guy here, so I'll just say get the original game if you can.

Costume Quest left me with a huge smile on my face. The battle system could use more depth, but the game's charm and writing totally make-up for it.

How much have they changed? Apart from the freaky faces, I don't remember anything being that off, but I don't play the original as regularly as I used to.

How much have they changed? Apart from the freaky faces, I don't remember anything being that off, but I don't play the original as regularly as I used to.

voice and art. Though ut includes the original game and it is the easiest way to get it.

voice and art. Though ut includes the original game and it is the easiest way to get it.

I know, I own it, I was asking what he found so wrong about the game.

Frankly, I wish they'd let us play the game with the old graphics and the voices, I kinda can't play adventure games without voices anymore unless it's a IF game?:erm:

What was right? Um. Some of the background were acceptable (most were barely OK or pretty shoddy) and a few of the voices were good (Guybrush, LeChuck, the Store Owner, as I remember). The rest was TERRIBLE. Including the interface, which made Maniac Mansion's look advanced. The worst crime of all was erasing the beautiful memories of the original game.

Thank god they got things a lot more right with the second SE.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

It's amazing how much they got wrong in the Special Edition of The Secret of Monkey Island.

Wait, I thought I had upset you multiple times at Lucasforums back when it came out for going at such length of what a shoddy HD remake that was? I still do find the second remake very pleasant though outside of most of the main character looks.

Costume Quest left me with a huge smile on my face. The battle system could use more depth, but the game's charm and writing totally make-up for it.

I agree! I was really hoping a new episode, sequel, or some kind of DLC would show up for this years Halloween, because it feels so fresh to play and I really wanted to enjoy it again without simply replaying it.

IFrankly, I wish they'd let us play the game with the old graphics and the voices, I kinda can't play adventure games without voices anymore unless it's a IF game?:erm:

The thing that makes me very sad about the Monkey Island remakes is that they messed up the first one so much. It is the most important MI game for me and I don't get why they didn't update the first one to have the possibility to for example use the voices with the old graphics like the second one did.

Especially when the dvd set came out just a short time ago.

Also I would've absolutely desired to hear Ron's, Tim's and Dave's comments about the first game.

Still, the originals are the greatest and there really was no need for the remakes. The only good thing was that new people got to know the greatest adventure games created by Lucasarts, but sadly everything stopped again when the president of the company got changed AGAIN after ToMI and these remakes and four games appearing in Steam.

Edited by Kolzig

Wait, I thought I had upset you multiple times at Lucasforums back when it came out for going at such length of what a shoddy HD remake that was? I still do find the second remake very pleasant though outside of most of the main character looks.

I think I came across worse than I wanted to, but I remember being bothered by everyone coming across with ownership issues. Everyone seemed intent on fixing the game for themselves like they could, and that really bothered me.

I wanted to cut down on the negativity also. I really wanted LucasArts to view what they were doing as a good thing. That failed, though.

I agree! I was really hoping a new episode, sequel, or some kind of DLC would show up for this years Halloween, because it feels so fresh to play and I really wanted to enjoy it again without simply replaying it.

They were working on DLC called "Grubbins in Love" a while back. Maybe it'll hit around Valentine's Day.

So I finished Psychonauts last night. Great game, as I'd remembered. The Meat Circus was actually more annoying that I remembered, even though this was the "easy" version... Maybe I'm not the games player I once was. (It wasn't THAT difficult, though.)

In the credits I noticed thanks to: Marek Bromstring, Jake Rodkin, and James Spafford.

UH, AND ME

(directly above Jake)

UH, AND ME

(directly above Jake)

And me! Probably at the end of it all what with the Z— last name.

Well, Chris was playtesting at DF at the time (about the time he and Tim had some weird, public romance or other that drove Rusalka nuts with jealousy). The others probably mailed pestered until they were grudgingly added to the credits.

I made the Church of Tim.

The CoT era is the first time I came in contact with you, TP2K1; you emailed to call me a "dyslexic gorilla" for mangling the names of some LEC games. I still remember this for some reason even though I summarily forget people I meet online. It has been almost ten years since then. Man, such cringe-worthy prose, that site.

To be fair, you'd just emailed me a photo of someone giving the finger because I'd pointed out that the Church of Tim - the one place on the internet dedicated to Tim Schafer's games - had gotten the name of two of his five credited games wrong.

So I got a bit defensive. I'm sorry :( (Oddly enough I still remember opening the attachment, probably as much as you remember being likened to a primate with poor language skills.)

Sigh. Everything on the internet should be erased.

If only. That would have been awesome

to look back on

Oh, man I think I remember now—I drew a doodle (or prolly a relatively well-articulated drawing) of the finger and sent you that. I think I may still have it in this ridiculous folder of high school work that I keep in the studio as a sort of memento mori, I'll look for it when I get home so that I can send it to you again :tup:.

In my mind the aftertaste of the exchange—after a decade, looking back—is somewhat congenial. I was caught writing stupid shit that I should've double-checked. I didn't want to admit it, so I drew you an answer—an answer which was more a tacit admission of guilt than a challenge to the content of your correction. I mean, I did fix the mistake on the site. I wasn't challenging the validity of what you said.

Anyway, my present visceral reaction to the entirety of the Church of Tim era of my life can best be summed up thusly:

:hat1::hah::tdown::period::campbell::zoid::dopefish::spiraldy::cens0red::frusty: :\ :tfart::eathat::getmecoat

Well I'm ashamed that I used to send emails so filled with unusual and creative vitriol, if that's any consolation. Actually that sounds insincere, but it's not. I used to be HUGELY defensive because I was so sensitive. I could get slighted very easily because of certain things that ruined my self-esteem in my youth. I'm a hell of a lot better than I used to be, though. In fact, I'm barely recognizable in many ways to the person I was in 2002. I know I still have my moments, but I'm sincerely sorry that our email exchange left a stain on your memory.

Also, for what it's worth, I loved Church of Tim. (Although I'll never understand why you bowed to pressure to censor Michaelangelo's David Tim.)

Unexpectedly, and from the shadows, leaps Chris to defend his cred!

I dub you the official narrator of these here forums. :buyme::gaming:

To continue the trend of not talking about recently completed video games, I remember only one game from the same era that had "familiar names in the credits" and that was Broken Sword 3. That had a lot of Adventure Gamers/Thumbs people in the credits, and I don't remember anymore why. Was it was because people filled in some official survey or something?

I remember being very jealous of both back in the day, though BS3 is a crappy crate pushing game compared to the greatness that is Psychonauts.