gdf

Recently completed video games

A dream I have that will literally never be fulfilled - Metroid Prime remakes with dual analog STICK controls. I would play through the whole thing, guaranteed.

yeah i have a copy of Killer 7 sitting unfinished in a box too. it was cool but it also made me want to break things

I actually have my copy of Killer 7 sitting on my right speaker right now awaiting a replay (that I actually intend to finish this time). Maybe we should make a club?

Killer 7 was so great, for a while now i've been feeling like i need to go find a reason to replay it.

I actually have my copy of Killer 7 sitting on my right speaker right now awaiting a replay (that I actually intend to finish this time). Maybe we should make a club?

Have we never considered (as a community) doing a more formal "backlog game club" type situation? I know you kinda did one around Half Life, but even then it was more for you than the group as a whole. I feel like there are enough of us and enough old games that there could be some basis for such a thing.

I would be very on board with replaying Killer 7 for a game club sort of thing.

That game is pretty clearly divided up into distinct chapters that would facilitate having clear checkpoints to reach as a group, to ensure non-spoiler discussion about the part of the game everybody just played.

I'd try, but my game time (at home) is fairly limited. Still, I'd be willing to give it a punt.

my cursory scan of gamefaqs and my terrible memory tell me that it seems to be broken into chapters (or "targets") so that might be logical stopping points.

i'm not curating this thing though, i've never finished it.

How long's Killer 7 and does it have sections that are easy to come to a stopping point on?

I remember it being about 16-20 hours, probably?

And it's broken up into very clearly defined chapters with self-contained stories and environments, it's very episodic.

Finished Beyond Good and Evil HD in almost one full day when I really shouldn't have. Still one of my favorite games ever. I don't feel like it's aged.

The HD version looked better but not as amazing looking as Sands of Time HD. I think it's because Sands of Time was kind of in an environment of structures and bricks while a lot of Beyond Good and Evil takes place in more organically shaped fields and islands, where the older low poly sets are more noticeable no matter what higher res textures or normal maps are added. Pey'J and Jade still look great, but the rest of the characters still kind of silly and blocky looking in comparison. Minor complaints but that's how those "Amazing HD collections" go.

Portal 2 :tup:

Damn that was short. Barely 5 hours. There were a few rooms that took me a little while to figure out, but overall it was rather easy. The "story" isn't as good as the first one, also much less "side stuff" going on. The new things were great, loved messing around with it. I would have been awesome if

they went more into the background stuff concerning Cave Johnson.

5 hours? Really? By the time I finished co-op, I had 16. After my second playthrough, knowing how to do everything already, I had 25. That's a good 8+ hours when I was still pretty much just blasting through it. You sure you didn't get that game clock glitch that Valve was talking about around release?

Steam time lies, like Miffy said. 5 Hours, I reckon, is really blazing through it. Especially on your first go.

I didn't play coop. Just the SP campaign. Currently steam claims I've spend 6.5 hours with the executable running. But that also includes having the game paused while getting lunch, and doing those "extras" (the comic is nice). So it can't be more than 5.5 hours I spend playing the game.

I dunno... five hours seems quite doable. I think I finished the campaign somewhere around the six or seven hour mark, but I spent a lot of time just testing the limits of the game in the larger areas. That said, I don't really think that's any particular deficiency for the game. Between commentaries, extras, co-op, and achievements... there's tons of shit to get yourself into for that game. Also, that reminds me that I need to finish that co-op campaign!

yeah but at least P1 had challenges.

coop is nice, but you need a second player

I can't believe you could do it in 5 hours on your first go. I'm pretty sure Steam is lying to you. According to my calculations (adding up all the videos in a Portal 2 walkthrough video on YouTube) it's possible to complete the game in five hours... but only if you don't stop to think about any of the puzzles.

Edit: Huh. Maybe Steam lied to the rest of us... I started watching the video and the guy wasn't blasting through it at all. Hmm. Maybe 5 hours is perfectly possible on a first go? (Or maybe you're super good at puzzles?)

Just finished Ocarina of Time 3D. Goddamn, if I didn't already have a 3DS, knowing that this game exists would make me pine for one real bad. It was bloody great. I read that they tried their best to make it live up to people's memories of OoT, not what the game was actually like (as in, people remember it looking great when it's kind of meh, so they had to make it look awesome), but as I replay up to the Water Temple once every 18 months or so it just blew me away (IGN.com) with the updates that were made to it. The touch screen stuff works amazingly well, letting you carry 5 things where you could previously only carry 3, and I the 3D effects were incredibly subtle, yet as soon as I turned them off everything felt wrong. Basically, if you have a 3DS you should get this game, and if you don't have a 3DS maybe think about it anyway.

What can I say? It's still one of the best games out there, as far as I'm concerned, and the changes that they made to put it on the 3DS are mostly non-trivial and all for the better. It's a better version of one of the greatest games, so yeah, high praise.

I just beat I-Fluid.

Don't bother with this game, while the concepts are interesting, you control a drop of water that must avoid items that soak up moisture and reach the goal, and as you advance in the game you learn can jump and climb and... control fruits? :eek:

The problem is the physics are busted in this game, the drop of water controls like a drop of oil and everything feels like it's moving wrong.

At least when you beat the game you can control a giant watermelon and run over cardboard cutups of the programmers.:tdown:

I beat Shatter yesterday! Really enjoyable brick-breaking game with great music that you should play at all costs.