gdf

Recently completed video games

I just beat Super Mario 3D World WiiU.... Before, I was practically forced to play New Mario Wii with my 4 year old nephew and well.... let's just say that after that I though I couldn't stand Mario anymore...

I WAS WRONG! The Mario 3D series is just Mario 3 "sequels", they make many aspects from other Mario game, but I could tell at heart it's more like Mario 3, which is the reason I loved it so much, it even has a Kuribo boot, although this time it's an ice skate, but still... the amount of  power ups is amazing and I didn't mind looking for stamps and stars, even though I never used them.

The only downsides? I don't like the Plessie levels and there is no way to simply get a power when you need it for certain level unless you beat a level with it. It's weird that the game let's keep the lives you've gained in a level (and even the ones you've lost) if you quit before finishing, but to keep a power up you must beat the whole level. Those Toad houses don't seem to re-spawn... 

Anyway, It's the game that made me love Mario again, what more can you ask? 

I played through 30 Flights of Loving the other day. I thought it was phenomenal, and it really left an impression on me. The format fit the content in a really satisfying way, and it's surprisingly emotionally engaging for being a very short game featuring characters with cube heads. I didn't totally get the story, but I'm not sure you're supposed to(?). It's fun to think more about, and the brevity makes me think you're intended to replay it. The commentary mode is also insightful and has some good level design tips. Really a fantastic game.

I got around to play episode 3 of the walking dead season 2 last night. I really liked it, it will be really interesting to see if they are going to be able to match season 1's emotional response at the end of this season.

I beat Saints Row: The Third. So, so good. I have no idea why I didn't play it sooner, because it is so totally my jam as far as open-world games go. It reaches unparalleled levels of absurdity and I loved every minute of it. I played it about 25 hours, so I don't think I'll pick up SRIV any time soon for fear of getting a little overloaded on this kind of game. I do know I will pick it up at some point and will almost certainly enjoy it.

Ittle Dew :tmeh:

It's a small Zelda-like game, but it's more about puzzle solving than any of the other things. There are a bunch of challenging puzzles. It's a nice distraction from playing other games.

I beat NES Remix or at least, I unlocked the credit roll, it's weird that they include games like NES Golf and Pinball in this mix and I'm glad I don't have to get three stars on every level to "beat" the game.

In some cases it's more hardcore than the original game forcing to do something under stricter condition than the original game, like defeating enemies without getting hit or turning a Mario level into a "runner" game, but it's still fun, you can always skip the level you don't like?

I beat Saints Row: The Third. So, so good. I have no idea why I didn't play it sooner, because it is so totally my jam as far as open-world games go. It reaches unparalleled levels of absurdity and I loved every minute of it. I played it about 25 hours, so I don't think I'll pick up SRIV any time soon for fear of getting a little overloaded on this kind of game. I do know I will pick it up at some point and will almost certainly enjoy it.

Did you play both endings? I love that the serious ending is actually the non-canon one.

I just beat Super Mario 3D World WiiU

Do you mean you beat Meowser, or did you keep going after that and do all of the crazy post-credits stuff?

I just beat the game, and only did a few of the post credit stuff, I'm not sure how much of that I'll do but I'll at least try? Some levels are just crazy and require very specific suits to get their stars. 

Did you play both endings? I love that the serious ending is actually the non-canon one.

I took the one that I presumed was canon:

saving Shaundi and Viola

I somehow didn't have it in me to do the other one, really wanted to close the book on it as I'm burning through my backlog. Is it worth going back and doing the other one?

It's short and pretty fun, and you unlock Zombie Gat as a homie; outfits for the blowup doll, toilet, and STAG soldier; and a hella dope black and gold version of the F-69 VTOL.

I got all of that stuff except the special VTOL with the ending I did. I dunno, I already 100% completed all the hoods at the story's end and played all the DLC stuff so I'm not sure there's much reason to get more equipment if I don't have much to do with it. 

I started Injustice: Gods Among Us last night at midnight and didn't stop until I was done around 5 am. Trying to decide what my next game should be, now. I need to get through the rest of Kentucky Route 0, but I have but have still never started Metro 2033 or Last Light and those are becoming increasingly interesting to me.

Do you mean you beat Meowser, or did you keep going after that and do all of the crazy post-credits stuff?

Wait, that's the final boss? How many more levels are there after that? I'm not read for it to end yet ):

I guess there are many levels as stamps? Not counting the fairy ones you get from fairy houses.

I just 100% Pikmin 3 and it was glorious! I even got the secret code! And I had 59 day juice to spare!

The final boss was worrying me, but even though it took two days to beat him, he went down pretty fast on the second day, the spicy spray helped a lot. I would say the game was too generous with the juice...

If it weren't for that damn food thief, I had tiny juice buffer, but I was still worried.

I just finished Resident Evil: Revelations (the PC version), and actually quite liked it. It wasn't outstanding, but it had pretty satisfying RE gameplay and a cool environment. The writing was terrible, but it a way that I could really get behind. The raid mode is fun in coop too, I played some with Cine yesterday. 

Wait, that's the final boss? How many more levels are there after that? I'm not read for it to end yet ):

There's four worlds after that. 10 levels in the first, 8 in the second, 12 in the third, and 3 in the finale (including Captain Toad and Mystery House levels, but not Sprixie Houses).

Finished Star Control 2 yesterday! Hooray! 

Great game, but a bit intimidating at first...and throughout, actually. No hand-holding here. If you're planning on playing it, make plenty of different saves in plenty of different slots so you can't screw up too badly, and make lots and lots of notes. One way I think the game could be improved is by having an internal note-taking system, partially automated (say, automatically noting when you've located an alien homeworld) but mostly left up to the player to decide what is relevant.

Pros: It's really funny. The music is great. The atmosphere is tremendous and there is a huge deal of historical context to unravel which becomes apparent when you speak with the numerous alien species. The voice acting is great.

Cons: At first, you won't really know what to do, and striking off into a far flung region in the hopes of finding something exciting is likely to end badly for you.

Also, it's timed, so you don't have time to explore at a leisurely pace. You have to hit places of material value or plot significance when you can. This didn't bother me so much but some people will find this pretty off-putting, no doubt. 

I beat Mario Kart 8 and.... I really hate the random unlocking, I want to unlock Rosalina, but I need to get gold at higher championships than I can handle... Frankly, I'm surprised I beat 50cc.

I didn't even expect to love MK 8 this much, except for the unlocking aspect. They get ridiculously aggressive in higher levels. Oh well, it's still a blast to play.

Finished Star Control 2 yesterday! Hooray! 

Yah!  SC2 is up there as one of my favorite games of all times.  The only real complaint I have about it at all is the whole fixed time thing, which forces you to rush through some stuff. 

I beat Mario Kart 8 and.... I really hate the random unlocking, I want to unlock Rosalina, but I need to get gold at higher championships than I can handle... Frankly, I'm surprised I beat 50cc.

I didn't even expect to love MK 8 this much, except for the unlocking aspect. They get ridiculously aggressive in higher levels. Oh well, it's still a blast to play.

I kind of like the unlocking aspect. Collecting coins to get more car parts has been an attainable goal keeping me invested in the game, even as I've convinced myself I'm never going to 3 star all the 150CC courses. 

I kind of like the unlocking aspect. Collecting coins to get more car parts has been an attainable goal keeping me invested in the game, even as I've convinced myself I'm never going to 3 star all the 150CC courses. 

I think getting 3 stars is entirely due to luck at 150cc. I rage quit last night when I won all the  mushroom courses and on the last race a red shell hit me right at the end and I dropped to 4th. Nothing I could have done -_-

Fucking great game though, but I doubt I'll ever 100% it. 

Nevermind, I unlocked Rosalina AND baby Rosalina so I'm happy. :P

I'd ridiculously hilarious how aggressive the racers, I got a blue shell and two red shells in a ROW! (Someone told me you could defend from the blue shell, but I don't how, I'm still new to the game?)

And me thinking the horn was just an excuse to have Wario make fart noises... Thanks! I am going to try to unlock all characters, but that's about it...