toblix

Powerless Wire

That was one of the little details I loved in Firefly. When Reynolds rocks up at Badger's yard, Badger waves a flimsy newspaper at Reynolds which was all totally animated. Looked the shiznit.

That was one of the little details I loved in Firefly. When Reynolds rocks up at Badger's yard, Badger waves a flimsy newspaper at Reynolds which was all totally animated. Looked the shiznit.

:tup:

So this technology has an efficiency rate of about 50%? Sure, it's better than batteries, but I never used batteries to power my TV or computer. And what's so bad about plugging in your electric car?

So this technology has an efficiency rate of about 50%? Sure, it's better than batteries, but I never used batteries to power my TV or computer. And what's so bad about plugging in your electric car?

A lot of people use batteries to power their laptops, and not plugging in a computer, cell phone, or a car is a lot more convenient than having to plug it in. At only 50% efficiency it may not be a feasible technology now, but as research continues we can expect its efficiency to continue to increase.

What if you forget, eh? "I can't come into work, I forgot to charge my car!". It'd be a shambles, I tell ye!

I'd personally love to be able to lose some of the cables from beneath my desk. Ok, so it's not world changing (unless I'm forgetting something) but it is damned cool!

I'm wondering if this is really completely safe for people, though.
Definitely not safe for floppies tho.

I'm wondering if this is really completely safe for people, though.

As he explained, it's a magnetic field that's no stronger than the magnetic field we already live in... So in theory, it's perfectly safe.

Magnetic fields are quite safe, you need to be within a really really really strong one for it to be quite dangerous. For example, an MRI is really strong, but not that dangerous (unless you have metal objects in yourself).

Other popular magnetic fields (but very very weak): in the road to detect cars and bikes, in stores to detect shoplifers.

I want this shit at music festivals. My fucking phone ran out out battery at T in the Park and I grudged paying a tenner for some dodgy power pack thing, so being able to walk into a tent, even if it didn't charge the phone, and getting some power, would be great. It would also definitely stave off some of the cable hell that exists behind and to each side of my monitor.

Magnetic fields are quite safe, you need to be within a really really really strong one for it to be quite dangerous. For example, an MRI is really strong, but not that dangerous (unless you have metal objects in yourself).

Other popular magnetic fields (but very very weak): in the road to detect cars and bikes, in stores to detect shoplifers.

Couldn't they be harmful for those with pace makers (or similar)?

Couldn't they be harmful for those with pace makers (or similar)?
Only potentially if the pacemakers are of the old battery-powered kind, maybe?

Only potentially if the pacemakers are of the old battery-powered kind, maybe?

I may be thinking of something completely different but there was a similar support which is affected strongly by Magnetic fields. However it's likely that information I consider current is wrong in the modern day.

Soooo... if you're a babe magnet, could this technology interfere with your magnetic field? I'm concerned.

:getmecoat

Soooo... if you're a babe magnet, could this technology interfere with your magnetic field? I'm concerned.

Theoretically it could reverse your polarity and turn you into a dude magnet.

As he explained, it's a magnetic field that's no stronger than the magnetic field we already live in... So in theory, it's perfectly safe.

That is a comparison between a time varying magnetic field and practically constant magnetic field of the Earth, though. The limits and guidelines are quite different for these two cases (see this 20 years old WHO thingy for instance).

Nevertheless, the magnetic field strength in this application is still most likely to fall well below any of the safety regulations.

It might be dangerous though. Tesla experimented a lot with magnetic fields, and he's now dead.

It might be dangerous though. Tesla experimented a lot with magnetic fields, and he's now dead.

Yeah but Elvis did too, and he's not dead !

For most devices the powermat is useless, because it requires plugging in an receiver, for some devices there is a body.