Chris

Idle Thumbs 38: Up On This Boss

or use subtitles

Every episode of Idle Thumbs is actually fully subtitled

How about starting every sentence with a baboo? Your baboos are pretty distinctive.

I've never confused your voices either. Maybe in the good old times when you used to have guests I may have confused a guests voice with one of yours, but don't remember who it was.

In regards to Bionic Commando, have you beaten it?

I was listening to a 1up podcast and I think they spoiled this, but I'm not sure if its true or not. Its just too ridiculous:

His bionic arm is made out of what used to be his wife?!

If thats true its almost like I have to play the game just to see it. You know, for the train wreck factor.

It is indeed true. It's

his wife's life force

or some other nonsense like that.

How about starting every sentence with a baboo? Your baboos are pretty distinctive.

This would be the worst idea, if it wasn't the best idea.

Can someone post a spoiler video? I heard about it a few months ago and remember laughing about it... to myself... no one else.

EDIT: I was going to type this earlier, but I completely forgot.

I just wanted to agree with Chris about the obnoxious abundance of smarmy sarcastic characters in video games, especially male characters. It can nearly ruin a game with unlikable characters sometimes. Writing someone as 100% sarcastic and arrogant is incredibly lazy writing, easy characterization, and a simple way to inject bad comedy. I don't even like people like that in real life (yes they exist!) who think it's their duty to always wisecrack on everything out there and have a bad attitude, so why would I want to play as them? It's just not clever

Having Ben in Full Throttle grumble, grunt, or have a drawn out "hmmm" in response to a situation is ten times more effective and clever than having the new Prince of Persia saying, "Yeah, well whatever dude!" to a bad guy.

Is this what company's think all game playing males are like and can relate to or is it the reality of who mostly plays video games?

Edited by syntheticgerbil

jesus god damn christ I thought you guys were kidding about the whole computer and Video game dot come thing.

and I too, have a hard time distinguishing between jake and nick, mostly because I'm retarded and secretly think jack and nick is the same person, in a non-homoerotic fashion, of course.

Can someone post a spoiler video? I heard about it a few months ago and remember laughing about it... to myself... no one else.

EDIT: I was going to type this earlier, but I completely forgot.

I just wanted to agree with Chris about the obnoxious abundance of smarmy sarcastic characters in video games, especially male characters. It can nearly ruin a game with unlikable characters sometimes. Writing someone as 100% sarcastic and arrogant is incredibly lazy writing, easy characterization, and a simple way to inject bad comedy. I don't even like people like that in real life (yes they exist!) who think it's their duty to always wisecrack on everything out there and have a bad attitude, so why would I want to play as them? It's just not clever

Having Ben in Full Throttle grumble, grunt, or have a drawn out "hmmm" in response to a situation is ten times more effective and clever than having the new Prince of Persia saying, "Yeah, well whatever dude!" to a bad guy.

Is this what company's think all game playing males are like and can relate to or is it the reality of who mostly plays video games?

I think the answer, which you imply, is that it's the easiest kind of defined character to write. There's the character who lacks any voice at all, then there's the character whose voice is just detached smarm, and those are the easiest ones to write (and thus the most common in video games).

Someone showed this to me today. I think it is relevant maybe.

FPxY8lpYAUM

Haha, and you tell me I'm always digging up old internet stuff.

Though I wonder what their scripts looked like. Maybe they even had to cut back sometimes on Link's catch phrase.

Castroid makes me think of Cuba's secret army of robots and Wizardon is a magical dinosaur. That is all.

All I can think of when I hear about the Bionic Commander is a general sitting in front of an array of monitors, launching his bionic hand across the room to hit buttons, answer phones, and make coffee while he monitors the progress of the douchebag commando.

Castroid makes me think of Cuba's secret army of robots and Wizardon is a magical dinosaur. That is all.

Castroid sounds like another word for a eunuch to me.

Someone showed this to me today. I think it is relevant maybe.

Dave, holy crap, I'm trying to imagine playing all the Zelda games with that crap in place of all of the silence and grunting. Don't think I'd hold those games in such high regard if he said "excuse me princess" all the time. Although, it could be painfully awesome.

Bionic Commander probably looks like Boss Coffee guy

Actually, from what I can tell after some internet research, Bionic Commander is actually the original Bionic Commando's Bionic Commando.

880300-bcrunreleasedalbum_super.png

Dave, holy crap, I'm trying to imagine playing all the Zelda games with that crap in place of all of the silence and grunting. Don't think I'd hold those games in such high regard if he said "excuse me princess" all the time. Although, it could be painfully awesome.

I don't know, it could create a very interesting dynamic as shown by this Youtube comment:

"ZeroGravityRockman (4 days ago)

When is she going to excuse him?!?"

Are you guys aware your Wizard voicemail number also spells 559-HYA-REMO?

:period:

"Hya Remo!"

What the fuck

Develop accents, speech impediments.

Or affix a signature catchphrase to the beginning of every sentence.

Chris: Fuckbag! Empire Total War is really good.

Nick: Tampax-Cap! I can't get it to work!

Jake: Toss-Muppets! I played a game ten years ago...