Jake

Idle News Podblast - 08/01/09: Surprise

If you guys didn't spend half the podcast talking about how lewd you were being I doubt I would have noticed.

Srsly, unless you're thinking about pitching the show to NPR or something, I have no idea why you're spazzing out so much about the cursing. Internet is a disgusting, lewd place; no one notices how crazy dirty your podcasts are.

Your parents will not listen to them, don't worry. And as far as your potential future employers, if they cannot look past the fact that there are potty words in your broadcast to notice that you run a relatively cerebral and popular gaming show, maybe they're not the employers for you.

I'm with the people that enjoyed the 'blast. The mix of humor and insight that oozes from the Thumbs like a thin film of delicious, salty sweat the morning after a good drinking binge is what brings me back every week. There plenty of good info and analysis on Dragon Age, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of ragging on Inferno. It's like Far Cry 2 and animal sex jokes, just never gets old. :grin:

Also, the hitler youth analogy is the single most astute observation in any of the numerous gaming podcasts I've listened to this week.

I found the blast very funny, although I think it's highly commendable that you exert a level of quality control on yourselves.

Also glad that you discovered the good thing about Dragon Age, Chris (being a Bioware community type, I knew about that already, but it's good to spread it around).

I downloaded Research and Development and thought it was excellent and frequently hilarious (I laughed and laughed at the end boss). But then I did get stuck for a while a couple of times and I'm probably a seasoned Half Life player - I can see how some bits might be very annoying for anyone that hasn't completed all the Half Life games and episodes on hard mode multiple times.

Srsly, unless you're thinking about pitching the show to NPR or something, I have no idea why you're spazzing out so much about the cursing. Internet is a disgusting, lewd place; no one notices how crazy dirty your podcasts are.

I think the real issue is that at the break we felt retarded. So, we decided to not release it, or to release it separately.

I think the real issue is that at the break we felt retarded. So, we decided to not release it, or to release it separately.

Yes, yes, yeshh, but this isn't the first time you've been trying to tone down the lewdness. Way back when when you were talking about the attire you cobbled together for the Bully duder, you were reluctant to say "retarded". I am not saying vulgar crazy should be your shtick, I'm just saying that it is weird that you would be so apologetic about it. That said, I don't want to encourage the vulgar crazy. I like it more as a garnish, and just as ignored.

I find it quite interesting that you're comparing yourselves to the RPS podcasts - especially at the beginning of this one, you set them up as pipe-smoking, erudite gentlemen, in relation to your barnyard vulgarity.

Admittedly, I've only listened to a few RPS podcasts, but I think they're quite scattershot - they're good, but they do venture all over the place sometimes. And sometimes it depends who is recording it.

There's a whole discussion to be had about the ideal number of 'casters, but in the few podcasts I've tried out, I've usually been overwhelmed if there are more than 3-4 presenters - especially on the first couple of episodes. When you cut it down to 2 (like RPS), the dynamics of the podcast can be a little subdued at times.

I prefer Thumbs, because you three guys have strong personalities when required, but can still settle in to some great discussion (plenty of recent examples of that), as well as some inventive, never-too-cynical humour. I know it can probably feel like you're fucking things up, getting off topic, losing sense of structure and purpose - but you do a good job. There are podcasts that are much longer, with much less to say.

Also, the first episode of RPS that comes to mind is the overseas edition, where Gillen got hammered with Leigh Alexander - and that was certainly more raucous than a Thumbcast.

I'd have to agree with you there. The cuts and fade ins/outs are really nice. And humorous.

Dwarf cock.

Just to, erm, further engage with the implicit suggestion that Britishers (and their podcasts) are somehow more sedate, intelligent, and eloquent, I offer up The Podcastle.