toblix

New "old-school" LucasArts game announced tomorrow

I wonder how they're doing the upscaling. None of ScummVMs soft-upscaling methods produce good results.

That's not true, some of them produce pretty damn cool results (depending on the game).

Not really, it's friendlier than various EULAs from propriety software.

Because if you are just going to use the software there are no restrictions at all. If you are going to distribute the software you just have to provide the source if requested. If you are going to use the source of the software it will become a bit more complicated: if you are never ever going to distribute the modified software, then there is no issue; otherwise you will need to make your changes to the software available under the same license, and everything that links to the application must be GPL compatible.

Doesn't that mean that (hypothetically, if they were using the ScummVM) Lucasarts would have to publish the entire source code of all the games?

That's not true, some of them produce pretty damn cool results (depending on the game).

Really? what game+upscaling system produces good results?

I usually stick to 3x which tripples the pixels.

Doesn't that mean that (hypothetically, if they were using the ScummVM) Lucasarts would have to publish the entire source code of all the games?

Absolutely not. That's because the game data is just data. One of the ideas behind Free Software (and also to some degree in Open Source) is that it should not limit usage of the software. It only covers modification and distribution.

I usually stick to 3x which tripples the pixels
And that's not cool? I think triple the pixels is fucking awesome.

Snip.

:kiss:

I'm pretty excited about these games going up now, probably to a stupid degree. They better not make me pay out the ass for these.

The best ScummVM filter IMO is h3x or something like that, which is also used by SNES emulators. It does a great job smoothing things up.

3x

post-814-13375603116972_thumb.png

AdvMame3x

post-814-13375603118057_thumb.png

HQ3x

post-814-13375603118847_thumb.png

I prefer 3x. This is maybe not the best scene to show (although you can see the scaling artifacts in the text of AdvMame3x, and the missing stars in HQ3x). During the intro you zoom in on a fence, and for the smoothing scalers this fence looks terrible.

And they're up! Joy.

EDIT: The price is right. 5$ per game. And there are some awesome instruction booklets for Loom and Last Crusade.

Edited by BigJKO

Bought The Dig, LOOM and both Indy games.

And Dropliz?

Also, question for those of you who've played LOOM. How does it compare to all the other LucasArts adventure games? I've never played it, and I've always had the impression it was very different.

Wow, that was fast, I was expecting a few weeks at least before they went up for sale. Just picked up Last Crusade, and Loom will be bought soon. Goddamn, I'm spending way too much on games this month.

My memories of Loom are very vague (as I said I lost my copy, so I haven't played it in probably 15 years), but as I recall the biggest difference is that it wasn't as inventory based as other LucasArts games, and most of the puzzles are solved by casting spells and the like (ala an Ocarina-of-Time-esque magical musical instrument). In fact was there even an inventory in that game? I can't remember, I want to say there wasn't.

Also, question for those of you who've played LOOM. How does it compare to all the other LucasArts adventure games? I've never played it, and I've always had the impression it was very different.

It's simply amazing. I didn't realize it when I was played it as a kid, but it's a very mature game with unusual subject matter. The puzzles are great and the way you interact with the world is something I had never seen in other games before or since.

And oh man, the music...!

Yeah, I've only beaten it once as I *ahem* pirated it *cough* it high school, but I remember it incredibly fondly. Especially the music system being essentially the magic from Zelda but years and years ahead of it. Wonderful game. Have now bought it, all the other adventures, Starfighter (downloaded that too, and enjoyed it, so what the hell) and Armed and Dangerous (own it, but no idea where the disc is, and I really like Planet Moon's games).

Played a bit of Last Crusade just now, as it's one of only a couple of LA games I never played (the other being Zak McKraken) and it's pretty sweet. Quit so that I could have a shower before meeting blix, Wrestle, and n0wak for a bit of co-op Halo, but otherwise would probably have played right up until I had to leave for work. I know this game was pre-MI, so a question to those of you who have played it before. Is it still possible to die in this one? If so, how easy is it to screw yourself into an unwinnable game?

Is it still possible to die in this one? If so, how easy is it to screw yourself into an unwinnable game?

There's no way of getting stuck.

:( I can't buy the games because I'm currently in the States and my billing address is in the UK :(:(

I must figure a way around this!

As for the story, do you have even a vague grip of the plot to Swan Lake? If you do then the plot to Loom might become a bit predictable throughout the game.

Also the music is a bit of a giveaway...

:( I can't buy the games because I'm currently in the States and my billing address is in the UK :(:(

I must figure a way around this!

Doesn't steam accept paypal?

Oh I forgot. Don't buy Loom from Steam. If you do, download other versions and play with ScummVM instead. PC CD version of Loom is fucking stupid and never should've existed. It's a mystery why LEC people decided to sell this version on Steam. Fuck.

Great, I just bought it. Actually the CD version is the only one I ever played, so if I can just forget I ever saw this thread I can remain blissfully ignorant of what I'm missing.

Doesn't steam accept paypal?

They do, but they check the billing address in Paypal against your current IP address. The billing address for Paypal is still in the UK. Luckily I had a friend in the UK online and he let me remote desktop onto his PC so I did it through that.