Ben X

'Time Gentlemen, Please!' from Size Five Games

But Firefox is released under a license that permits sharing, as far as I can make out Ben There, Dan That isn't. Just because something is given away for free doesn't mean that sharing it isn't copyright infringement.

Ben There, Dan That! took a solid 3 months full-time work, then we took a break for about a year, before spending three part-time months finishing it off.

Time Gentlemen, Please! took 9 months of part-time work in evenings and weekends, and one month full-time slog.

Wow, that's amazing dedication. My hat goes off to you.

Thanks! The amazing dedication was mostly Dan's, though, slogging away with the code in between working a full-time job.

I know I'm colossally late to the party on this, but I just bought the bundle on steam and have been wildly enjoying BTDT. Your/Dan's admirable dedication was well worth it!

Many hearty thumbs up! :tup::tup::tup:

Yeah, there's a couple of nice interviews with the both of us here as well:

http://hardydev.com/2009/06/22/time-gentlemen-is-up-ben-ward-dan-marshall-interview/

http://www.tunasnax.com/blog/index.php?blog=3&title=interview_with_ben_and_dan_of_zombie_cow&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

(And if anyone really wants, there's a list of reviews and interviews and grumbling about metacritic here.)

Dan also got a nice 4-page interview/article in games tm this month, it looked gorgeous. Quite why we're not millionaires yet is beyond me.

Hello everyone! Sorry for the spam, but if you enjoyed TGP can you please go to http://bit.ly/4Vd6EO and vote for it once a day until it wins jayisgames' Adventure Of '09, please! (One-click only.)

If Cakemania The Adventure wins, I'll scream.

Thanks! I think the emoticons relate to age-rating. It deffo did something if you got the window asking if you're sure then it moved onto the next page.

Please do vote every day if you can be arsed - jayisgames encourages it, so it's not cheating!

Oh, I thought it was a one vote per computer thing. (although I did use the work computer to vote as well, so I guess it counts twice.)

Nice one, thanks Miff! We're up against Tales of MI and Machinarium this year, though, so I don't think we'll win it for a second year!

Sorry for the bump, but I've got three posts in one!

Firstly, we came a very close 2nd to Machinarium in the jayisgames readers award. Thanks to everyone who voted! The exposure really helps keep us afloat and motivated.

Secondly, get your TGP merchandise here! :buyme:

Thirdly, if you've got a couple of minutes spare, please vote in the adventuregamers awards and choose TGP for anything you think it deserves to win! Thaaanks! :buyme:

Oh, I'd been hoping that you were part of the dev team. I'm still on Ben There, Dan That (haven't touched Time Gentlemen, Please! yet, but I bought it), and I like what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I was really happy about that!

We also got a lot of runner-up stuff in the adventuregamers Aggie Awards, which was cool, especially in a year of big hitters like TMI, Machinarium and Emerald City Confidential.

Thanks to anyone who woted!

Weird. I never thought as Ben and Dan as being the "ultimate" anything, just a highly enjoyable adventure game with lots of knowing nods and winks. A series that lovingly points out the flaws of the genre, while being an entertaining example of it. If the natural progression was to try and "top" it and make the next instalment "ultimate-er", then I can see why it would be frustrating... But why would they try and do that?

You don't need voice acting. (Why did they think this was a good idea?) You don't need higher resolution graphics. You don't need more shocking content... You just need more of the same, with less flaws (however you perceive them) than the previous game. Progression will take care of itself as you try to improve on what you did... not from pre-planned idea to become even more ultimate.

To put it another way: The ultimate Ben and Dan game would not be in Toy Story quality 3D, with 5.1 surround sound, and cut-scenes directed by Steven Spielberg, and puzzle solutions that would make Tom Green blush.

It would just be another slice of time spent with entertaining and lovable characters... And really, that's where the improvements should be. Making our relationship with the characters stronger, while telling a compelling story, with puzzles that don't grate.

I can't stop myself posting about this: I think they really misunderstood what made Ben There, Dan That so entertaining. It wasn't that it was a satire, it was that it was a fun, funny adventure game that didn't take itself too seriously, mocking itself and the genre in equal measures.

A "satire" implies an intended message; a way for a frustrated optimist to make people think about a certain point a different way. That's what satire is. It's almost a way of preaching to people. The Ben & Dan games were not that.

Would "parody" work better for you, TP?

It wasn't just that angle that was feeling tired, though: simply doing another, smaller DnB adventure felt like we were going backwards, no matter how many things we improved or tweaked or polished. I don't think it would have been a bad game, it just would have felt a bit stale and pointless. I'm hoping we can channel some of it into the next Dan And Ben game, whatever and whenever that will be, because we had some good stuff in there. Hopefully, when that or the next Zombie Cow game comes out, you'll be relieved that we did something brillo and new, and not just another adventure.

I love Ben and Dan (both the characters and the people, but mainly the people. Why? Because they can obviously create awesome stuff together). If they're going to continue, then great, but my only concern is that you canned all that work for the wrong reasons, and are now giving up...

But if Ben and Dan (the people) are going to continue, then I'm happy.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001