gdf

Life

I had an almost panic attack like thing a couple of months ago. I was shopping and suddenly felt my heart beat really fast and some pain in the chest and felt dizzy. I somehow got over it though, but felt queezy the rest of the day. Since I had a flight next morning, and was worried about this condition (especially as I had had some irregularities with heart rhythm a few years back), I ended up going to the first-aid station during the night. They did some monitoring and my heart was fine, it was probably muscle pain near the heart due to recent overexercising after a long period of not getting much exercise at all.

Life is going pretty well for me, after an almost 5 month period of unemployment after finishing my degree, I've got a job, which I mentioned earlier. The best bit being I get to move back to Manchester, where a lot of my friends live. I'm going up this weekend to look at houses and for a halloween bash, where my current costume is Two Face, which seems to be working well. I'm running a test burn at the moment which looks good enough but I have to scale it up for the actual thing.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=860&filename=sxtz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I was seriously grossed out by that photo until i read the accompanying post.

Great job on the make-up. Are there prosthetics involved? There are some great tools to make scars and whatnot.

There are some great tools to make scars and whatnot.

I bet!

Disturbing image even if it's not real.

Great job on the make-up. Are there prosthetics involved? There are some great tools to make scars and whatnot.

On hand I have: nose putty, Liquid latex, and good facepaint, which I used to create that. I'm going to pick up some white hair spray as I'm using the comics opposed to the films as influence (and I don't want to wear or buy a bald cap). It was really easy to do this, taking less than 10 minutes, excluding drying time.

TwoFace.jpg

And I'm going the opposite direction!

Heading back to the Old Country for 10 days at the beginning of November to visit my parents; look out, Warwick & Oxford.

I'm also going to The New World. In a few short weeks I'll be in Los Angeles. Hoohah.

Watch out for the roaming Hobo Militia!

Yeah; they patrol the streets during the night, while the OccupyLA people are asleep.

I'm now two days into student-teaching at an elementary school. I can't say much more than that due to confidentiality agreements with the board of education, but I've never felt more sure of what I want to do with my life. The school I've been assigned to is in a really low-income area and has a lot of troubled kids, and they have spare rooms which get filled with a special program for kids who get bussed in and have severe behavioural problems. It's kind of rough, but even in two days I've seen the kind of breakthroughs that would melt your heart. Also some incredibly difficult moments, but you get through. And for chuckles, guess what the very first thing I was teaching to my very first class on my very first Monday morning ever was?

6th grade Human Sexuality

. How's that for getting thrown in at the deep end of the pool?

And for chuckles, guess what the very first thing I was teaching to my very first class on my very first Monday morning ever was?

I tried to come up with an Idle Thumbs cliché that would be suitable as an elementary school subject, but big bird anatomy didn't seem right and all the others were just plain wrong.

Congrats on finding your dream job! My friend studies to become an elementary school as well, and he too finds it very gratifying. I have tried to tell him that kids are actually annoying and horrible and that nothing good will ever come out of them, but he just wont listen.

It's kind of rough, but even in two days I've seen the kind of breakthroughs that would melt your heart.

Good work Miffy, you have my respect. That kind of work is tough and will no doubt have many heart breaking moments too. Teaching kids like that is something I admire from afar, I couldn't do it.

Good luck with it all :tup:

Respect to you, Miffy :tup:

The last two weeks have had some very strange experiences. Some people from the hackspace went to visit Tim Hunkin, and I found myself in his workshop, being taught to use a plasma cutter to melt through 5mm sheet steel at an alarming pace.

The other was finding myself on Skype with the director of GameCity and Eric Chahi, prototyping laser etched food :)

The third, making 512 felt Horaces:

9Eid1Cn3mWs

It got a bit much. I've been dreaming about Horace. He's a part of me now :tmeh:

Did Horace's games ever make it out of the UK? I never knew who he was until recently...

As for me, I went to a Red Cross talk today and tomorrow I'll try to apply and if it's available, I'll teach the elderly or immigrant how to use a computer!

I was practically the only man there and it was interesting to see the generation gap between the volunteers, the oldest person there kept saying kids today don't care about catastrophes and the youngest person there couldn't understand why we found AIDS so scary a decade or two ago. The rest didn't talk much.

Oooh. If you have any spare, I know a certain ex- YS editor who might would like one.

Good work Miffy, you have my respect. That kind of work is tough and will no doubt have many heart breaking moments too. Teaching kids like that is something I admire from afar, I couldn't do it.

Good luck with it all :tup:

Yeah, there's certainly been some of that already as well. Trying to keep smiling while talking to an adorable 6 year old girl about the physio for her cerebral palsy was a particularly bad one, as was seeing the notebook of a child who had attempted the same math problem over two dozen times before erasing everything and writing "HELP" across the page in all capital letters. I have no idea how dealing with that for years will change me as a person, but so far I think it's been really valuable for me to be seeing these things so early. It's rough, as I said before, but if you can keep it together you can do a lot of good and I think I can do it. In a weird way, I feel more sure of myself in terms of what I want to do with my life than ever before now.

So I went to this amazing party with work last night. Holy shit! There were so many attractive women there, and as a single guy looking for a partner, I really thought this was the perfect opportunity. And it was, I'm sure.

But I came away without really having spoken to anyone I was attracted to, and (obviously) sans any phone numbers. Bah!

I learned a few things about myself:

1/ I immediately get nervous when I think about making the first move towards a woman I like because (and this is the idiosyncratic bit) I immediately think, "But is she The One?" And I start giving myself reasons why another girl is probably The One (often a girl I haven't even met yet). A sort of "the grass is always greener...", but also possibly giving myself excusing not to dance over to somebody.

2/ I'm pretty crap at first impressions, probably partially because of the above.

I do know one thing: In my last relationship I wasn't "sure", and I kept going along with it because it didn't feel completely wrong. Five years and an engagement later(!) I had broken a perfectly good heart... And I vowed to never get myself into a situation where I wasn't "sure" again.

So while there were several girls who kept looking over at me, who I liked the look of, as soon as I thought about trying to dance over I'd immediately go, "Wait a minute! What about that other girl... You don't want to lead this girl on unless you're sure..." Which is completely neurotic and egotistical, I know.

It's damned frustrating, though. I need more practice at just having flirty fun with someone and not taking it too seriously.

Thanks for letting me vent my spleen! :fart: