syntheticgerbil

The Last Express

Rotoscoping can start looking nasty after a while anyway, especially as you add more frames. The route they went was fine by me. I also appreciate all of the faces are stylized (though not loudly) to avoid the ol' uncanny valley.

It is dirt cheap... but how does it compare to the original version? Does it play any better?

Having been 10 when the original version came out, this will be my first chance to experience it. I can't help you with that one.

Apart from the animation, the other thing that is currently holding me back from buying The Last Express is the thing that I also find most intriguing about the game – the real time aspect. How brutal is it? Will there be a lot of cheap good old video game death traps you basically can't avoid on your first playthrough? Can you rewind time or are you forced start a new game or load a save if you find yourself staring at the game over screen.

It will generally rewind you itself back to the most optimum time to restart. Before the event of no return that precipitated your downturn. It may be quite a ways back. It still felt brutal to my 14-year-old self even though it is not nearly as brutal as it could've been considering it was the mid-to-late nineties.

Apart from the animation, the other thing that is currently holding me back from buying The Last Express is the thing that I also find most intriguing about the game – the real time aspect. How brutal is it? Will there be a lot of cheap good old video game death traps you basically can't avoid on your first playthrough? Can you rewind time or are you forced start a new game or load a save if you find yourself staring at the game over screen.

You can rewind time as much or as little as you like. It's actually pretty friendly, and I've not had to go back very far after it's been shown I did something wrong.

That said, this wonderful walkthrough has been very useful.

In terms of gameplay, yes, it's a little annoying that there are any dead ends at all, but this is the most forgiving "dead end" game that I've ever played -- and it's also been very logical so far. Unlike something like the unforgiving Conspiracy, there's only a few locations, so you haven't got to hunt around for hours wondering what you've done wrong. When you "die" it's for a very logical and obvious reason. Because of this, most of the dead ends you'll never even see.

If anything I'd say this game was an experience first, and game second. It also doesn't take very long to play through. Several hours at most. It's a great experience (the historical accuracy, research, etc, is second to none) and worth playing just for that.

It is dirt cheap... but how does it compare to the original version? Does it play any better?

Huh? It's not been remastered or anything, this is the original version.

The original version uses some sort of clunky Quicktime 2 or something. Maybe they got some of that clunkiness ironed out as opposed to just churning a wrapper for Quicktime 2 to run in XP+Vista+7... I dunno. :blink:

Sounds good. As long as I won't die of protein loss because I forgot to munch on some nuts way back in the beginning.

The original version uses some sort of clunky Quicktime 2 or something. Maybe they got some of that clunkiness ironed out as opposed to just churning a wrapper for Quicktime 2 to run in XP+Vista+7... I dunno. :blink:

? The original doesn't use Quicktime, you must be thinking of something else. I own the original version and it works fine in Vista (and doesn't mention Quicktime anywhere). It also never installed anything but a few game files to my HD.

Sounds good. As long as I won't die of protein loss because I forgot to munch on some nuts way back in the beginning.

No, nothing like that :tup:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Wahey! That's sweet. I knew it would come to GoG. Now to decide whether I should buy a second copy as digital version now to my slowly growing GoG library of games.

I do have the original version, but $5.99 is. just. too. cheap.

Especially for a future proof digital version of Last Express.

Holy maloney, I didn't expect this at all. This old, clunky game, with its ultra low-res graphics, etc. is immersing me in the pants! Its immersiveness is unprecedented! I'm really there! The way people move about, awkwardly passing me in the cramped corridors, and the way you can hear all these conversations around tables and behind doors... jesus. I can't help but feeling my whole outlook on video games would have been vastly different had I played this back when it came out. I'm blown away in the most incredible of ways. And this is only after about ten minutes of playing.