Spaff

jobs... why arent there any?

tell me about it.

I'm having to apply to jobs in the Midlands now.

THE MIDLANDS!

It really is frightening right now. I'm astonished by how many industry layoff stories I've had to write recently; I've started avoiding them recently, trying to stealthily offload them onto other staff members, because it's gotten so depressing.

I personally haven't faced any real difficulties yet but that may be because the jobs I'm after are senior enough not to have been affected so far.

It's obviously a tough climate though and it's something that's factoring more heavily in my job search than before. One company that I'm considering joining is in kind of in a start-up situation and I'm wondering if they are able to provide decent enough job security.

If I want to have really good job security I can get it by moving to a developer that's really loaded with cash, but they're based in a pretty lame city and I'd be at least 4 hours away from all my friends in Brighton and London. :(

This hasn't hit me yet, but I think it is a possibility during the next couple of years (on the other hand I think I'll always find a job as a Java developer in Tallinn). The whole dev. team (though not a big one) of a gov. institution I used to work for got laid off recently. But the company that hired some of them (and me, starting next week) was happy that finally the gov. was making more developers available on the job market :)

If you don't mind selling out to The Man, there are plenty of jobs/work in online advertising. At least, there are around here. Advertising is not going to go away and with companies tightening their spending, online is looking a lot more tempting (and cost effective) than TV or print.

My contract has just been renewed, but I'm so sick of the place, I'm looking elsewhere. Made it through the second interview to another company, waiting to hear on recruitment budgets etc. - although, I suspect, that they may eventually come back with nothing. Gutted.

What is encouraging though is that the IT Security sector seems to be increasing, and a lot of companies (well, the big ones I've looked at) are reporting full pipelines for at least the next 6 months. Whether that will stay like that as companies get more strapped I don't know.

Marek, that cash-loaded developer wouldn't happen to be Lionhead, eh? ;)

That makes me wonder, would any of us be able to get a job there, after this:

:molyneuxcrown:

And all the other things we've pulled over the years? Are we on a Lionhead blacklist?

Also I forgot that I can't sign up to gamesindustry.biz because the automated system only accepts pre-approved email roots. Apparently you are only allowed to look for a job if you already have one.

Fuckers :tdown:

I've even been applying for non games industry jobs with no luck. :'(

This thread makes me sad :-(

Dan, there may be jobs here in the Midlands, but the cities are all a bit rubbish. Nottingham is especially full of piss heads and women tend not to go out here anymore due to that.

I wasn't going to say that because I know you and some other thumbs live there.

But yes, I know ;(

Also I forgot that I can't sign up to gamesindustry.biz because the automated system only accepts pre-approved email roots. Apparently you are only allowed to look for a job if you already have one.

Fuckers :tdown:

False. I thought this at first as well but you can sign up and upload a CV and apply for jobs, it's actually a separate thing to signing up to the gamesindustry.biz network.

So do that. Go to http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs then click on the [Register...] button under where it says 'Register your CV' and not the link on the far right.

I've even been applying for non games industry jobs with no luck. :'(

Same. Apparently there's only work in Brighton for people that speak languages other than English. I should have payed more attention in French class all those years ago. :sad:

If you don't mind selling out to The Man™, there are plenty of jobs/work in online advertising. At least, there are around here. Advertising is not going to go away and with companies tightening their spending, online is looking a lot more tempting (and cost effective) than TV or print.

I have no qualms about selling out. :fart:

We're in need of a coder with some experience in ASP/C#/SQL. We've been interviewing grads and haven't really come across anyone who's got decent enough knowledge (or at least shown that they're keen and able to learn, if they haven't). It's probably a bad time to be looking for grads, though...

Anyways, we're based in London (Clapham to be precise) and we'd like to hear from YOU if you're interested. We're easy going and it's quite an exciting project (you'll be part of a small start-up).

Requirements:

- Initiative (ie. The ability to find solutions to programming problems yourself, if needs be)

- Logical approach to solving problems

- Experience of ASP/C#/SQL

Would be a major bonus:

- Excellent knowledge of SQL/databases (and/or C#/ASP)

PM me if you'd like to know more.

Actually, no. I'm really surprised because it's been a while since I saw starship Troopers and I'm amazed at how young he is here.

I know Starship Troopers is cool and everything. And I know that Dougie Hauser somehow looks too young in that picture... But isn't anyone interested in a job...? :mock: