Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Who would you vote for?

I follow Scarlett Johanson in everything.

God damn you, I was going to say the exact same thing. Well, not the exact same thing. Something similar. Maybe more crude. Something about her getting turning my pants into a compass pointing in the direction I should go. But similar.

The compass confirmed that Obama was closest to my own ideas. Mike Huckabee, is on the other, apparently the devil.

But then again, if Huckabee wins, Colbert becomes vice president, and something good has to come from that, won't it?

I got Obama, but I was clicking 'No Opinion' for a lot of it, not understanding a load of American systems, eg health care.

Obama FTW. I give him my internet vote.

There should be something like the compass to make every decision for me :P

Every time there's Dutch elections, several of those interactive 'electoral compasses' are designed by different universities or institutions. They're a popular tool and usually a big topic of discussion. They've now made two of these apps for the US election given the unusually high level of interest over here. (The other one is here.)

Anyway... who would I vote for...

If Kuchinich were a viable candidate, I would most likely have voted for him. It's sad that he's at best seen as "a funny short guy who keeps lots of shit in his pockets and has a hot wife" or at worst "a communist pinko". I guess over in Europe he'd be seen as a moderate and not a far-left candidate at all.

After Kuchinich, I liked Edwards best on the issues -- slightly more than Obama. But Obama must clearly become president (I already felt that way before Edwards dropped out). He manages to motivate and inspire people in ways that no other candidate can. I love America but it's royally fucked up, possibly near-bankrupt, so unless there's a really inspiring and pragmatic figure in the White House things might be bleak. I think Obama is the only one who has any shot at getting done what needs to be done.

On the Republican side I could tolerate a McCain presidency, but I wouldn't be super optimistic.

Alright enough babbling, I'll take the test now...

Yep, Barack.

I've got to say, if it comes down to Obama vs McCain, I don't think I can be really unhappy either way with the election. Should we come out of today with that standing, I'll be much more optimistic about the US's future.

I don't know a frightful lot about McCain, but I've heard he wouldn't be so bad for the 'democrat' side of the country. Anyone a quick introduction to his ideas and policies?

I notice no-one's mentioning She Who Must Not Be Named... :shifty:

Is this deliberate, or is she really just a blip on the landscape?

I'd be content with Obama vs. McCain as well. McCain is a Republican, but from his Daily Show interviews I can tell that he's human, he doesn't mind Stewart making fun of him, and seems to be an honest man.

Maybe it'll come down to Clinton vs. Romney instead :fart:

Oh, and regarding Clinton, maybe Thumbers aren't so eager to vote for someone who allied with Jack Thompson at one point.

Oh, and regarding Clinton, maybe Thumbers aren't so eager to vote for someone who allied with Jack Thompson at one point.

Sure, but I find the complete lack of discourse here concerning Clinton... disturbing -- for the very reason you've stated (amongst others).

I respect McCain's history of bipartisanship and his (relative) voice of reason, even though I frequently disagree with him. I think he's a good guy. It'd be great for the level of debate if he became the GOP candidate, and I wouldn't mind him as US president. But these times call for a really standout and inspiring president, not just a competent one. McCain would be a good thing for America but he might not be good enough.

Hillary would be fine, although she's a bit less progressive than the other Democratic candidates. But it nags me that she's the wife of a former president, which seems not entirely in the spirit of the 2-term limit. It also seems a bit wrong that a country is basically run by two families from 1989 to possibly 2013 or 2017. That would make for nearly 3 decades of the Bushes/Clintons.

Mind you, I am a huge Bill Clinton fanboy, but I think the 'new Bill clinton' is Barack Obama, not Hillary.

That said, I would sleep extremely well if there's an Obama/Hillary ticket. Holy crap. That would rule a billion times.

That was just one indication of her rising conservatism. I now think of her as a Republican sleeper agent.

Pretty much. Between Obama, McCain, and Clinton I see Clinton as the most conservative and really the most potentially bad for the country. Course, being Canadian it's not like my opinion matters all that much, but oh well.

Hillary has shown conservatism on a few issues as of late but let's not kid ourselves here, McCain is way more conservative than Clinton, and Clinton is far removed from the views of the republicans.

Are there many other examples other than the video game thing? She's clearly trying to score points with certain demographics, but I don't think it represents a major shift in her political alignment. Or did I miss some stuff?

Maybe it is just pandering to try and get a bigger demographic, but it seems to me that whenever an issue I feel strongly about comes up, she is either on the other side or firmly planted on the fence. Also, as you alluded to, I'm a little concerned with the prospect of America turning into a rotating Oligarchy.

McCain on the other hand, while conservative, (and seemingly a bit moreso now than 8 years ago) is conservative in the more traditional sense, and has always seemed to me like the type who would do his best to keep the government out of people's lives more, which is something I'm very much in favor of. I don't see the sort of "We're making these laws to protect you from yourselves" attitude I fear that Clinton would bring.

Sure, but I find the complete lack of discourse here concerning Clinton... disturbing -- for the very reason you've stated (amongst others).

Girls are scary.

I'll rectify that;

Would :tup:

Yay! He's got my vote... if I could vote in the US elections.

Damn good video, which I'm absolutely positive will be (probably deservedly) parodied to fuck and back over the next few years.