Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I've seen them live 3 times now, and they've always come off really generic and boring to me. They just always seem to be playing festivals that I happen to be attending. In fairness, I haven't heard their studio stuff. Maybe it's really good? At any rate, their live show is a dissappointment. JUSTIFY YOUR BSS!

Really liking the single from Flobot's 3rd abum, featuring the singer from Rise Against. I have the album on the way from the US, really looking forward to it arriving.

Lsgbb23z27w

I've seen them live 3 times now, and they've always come off really generic and boring to me. They just always seem to be playing festivals that I happen to be attending. In fairness, I haven't heard their studio stuff. Maybe it's really good? At any rate, their live show is a dissappointment. JUSTIFY YOUR BSS!

I've seen BSS once live at Lollapalooza. I think they're probably much better to see live when you actually know their songs, and what to listen for.

If neither of these justify them for you, then I believe you are a lost cause. :P

jiSBAykx9vA

Uev2J_cBHjQ

Snip

Going to have to back Miffy here. They sound like a contrived and boring version of a fair few British bands. Brit Pop a decade late, with an added touch of Ash. No problem with people liking that sort of stuff though.

Going to have to back Miffy here. They sound like a contrived and boring version of a fair few British bands. Brit Pop a decade late, with an added touch of Ash. No problem with people liking that sort of stuff though.

Hah. I don't want to get into an argument here; I'm not trying to change your opinion, but I'd definitely classify them more in the "post-rock" genre. By the way, they are 100% Canadian, not British. Not that I expect that knowledge to make you like them any more. :P

This message goes out to anybody who is not listening to the Gorillaz newest album, Plastic Beach: You really should be!

Also, Broken Bells, the thing Dangermouse and James Mercer of The Shins collaborated on is pretty good.

I really wish I could get more into Plastic Beach but I just can't. It's just boring, it's like I'm constantly waiting for it to go somewhere but it never really does. The opening track is pretty cool though, but that's mostly because of Snoop. I'll agree the Broken Bells album is pretty swell though.

Didn't see it mentioned here, but I recently checked out The Middle East (they're playing a festival near me this summer). Really cool Australian indie.

QSKrrMb9bnE

As far as I know the album was released in Australia in 08, but it's getting worldwide release this spring.

I saw Broken Social Scene live and they weren't very good, if I remember correctly. They could barely fit on the stage, either. I do like some of their tracks, though, but I think they are one of those Pitchfork generation groups whose status will fade a little over the years. I don't really understand why You Forgot It In People was so big.

That said, however, BSS off-shoots like Metric, Stars and Feist are all intermittently lovely.

After some Twit action from N0wak last night, I am listening to this on repeat:

bbSd7vgG-JA

Sparse, distant, yet funky. Just like my soul.

By the way, they are 100% Canadian, not British. Not that I expect that knowledge to make you like them any more. :P

I suspect from time to time that that's the main reason a lot of people like them. Some kind of misplaced patriotism telling people that they have a duty to pretend to like mediocre music because "DAMMIT, it's CANADIAN!" Also, I find Emily Haines to be irritating as all hell, so can't get into Metric, and Feist is always trying so damn hard to be cutesy that it feels like when one of her tracks comes on she's beating you over the head screaming "Don't you understand? I'm QUIRKY! LOVE ME!" I think I'm just not able to get into that scene. I've tried to listen to all of these bands, mostly because a lot of my friends (particularly from High School) were really into them, but ended up disliking them for the same reason I disliked Juno. It's trying so hard to be different and eccentric that it forgets that underneath all that you still need to have talent.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Or, well, cultural and social context.

underneath all that you still need to have talent.

And creative vision. Although I suppose talent encompasses that too. I was interpreting talent as technical proficiency, because a lot of people (rock fans anyway) argue for the music they like from that angle even though that's probably not the main reason they listen to that music.

Have you guys heard of Eddie Money? He was pretty underground in the 80s and made a lot of obscure but wonderful music. Too bad he disappeared shortly after an extreme bout with drug overdosage and death.

oIWSFjI3OdE

Have you guys heard of Eddie Money? He was pretty underground in the 80s and made a lot of obscure

I thought he was pretty popular in the mainstream..."Two Tickets to Paradise" and stuff like that.

Most 90's brit pop is so boring, though... :sad: (only one I enjoy that comes to mind is Oasis) And I'm from Atlanta, Georgia. No patriotism for Canada. That and I really dislike anything Pitchfork has to say about anything because they're snarky hipster scum who never have anything good to say. I like BSS. Lay off. lol :P

I can't stop listening to Fang Island today. I just wanna run around giving everyone high fives and run through a field giving my sisters kids piggy backs while this album is blaring.

y55NVGZ3ibY

Edited by Slayeric

Hey, you're free to like them. A lot of people do. I just don't get it myself, and I doubt anyone will be able to explain the appeal to me.

I just wanna run around giving everyone high fives and run through a field giving my sisters kids piggy backs while this album is blaring.

y55NVGZ3ibY

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

n504746941_677614_708.jpg

(Not me, a mate)

I'm glad I had a good few seconds of considering that picture the most awesome thing ever, before realising how dangerous it was.

I would totally do that a to a little girl. If I wanted to crack her head open on the asphalt.

That family has quite a lot of kids, most of them adventurous and none of them dead or seriously injured. I can forward any and all complaints you all might have to them if you like though.

That family has quite a lot of kids, most of them adventurous and none of them dead or seriously injured. I can forward any and all complaints you all might have to them if you like though.

Well, if it's not too much of a bother, you could tell them that using a little girl as a skateboarding helmet is a stupid fucking thing to do. They should indeed consider themselves lucky their children are still alive and well.

I should qualify, the danger of the image made it all the more awesome.

Or, actually, as I'd been playing a lot of Skate 2 that day, so I was all the more aware of the dangers of skateboarding.

Or, I was more engrossed in the soft focus loveliness of the image to have any other concerns.

Speaking of hazy high fives and cuddly music. M83.

0mpkhcLGeDs

(There is an official video for this, which has a nice sequence of rollerskating, but it's an edited version of the song, and some of it is a little suspect, like the weird Thriller and Big Lebowski references.)