Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Totems

So, 10tacle studio is making a game called Totems.

Not interested? Me neither, until I heard it's from the guys at Appeal.

Not following me? Appeal made the fucking awesome game Outcast back in the day.

Now you get it!

Tried Outcast once. Never played it for long, the camera and controls were very annoying.

I loved Outcast to death for years (though bugs prevented me from finishing it, always got stuck in Okaar the forest world). But to be honest, Totems will need to convince me all over again, because I know little of it and for all we know it could suck. I'm not willing to put my money on a company who's made only one game (okay, two, some generic racer also) that came out almost 10 years ago, even if it was a brilliant game. Their Outcastian legacy makes me take notice, but Totems will need to reach it on its own merit.

When Infogrames shut down Appeal the team split up in 2 main companies.

- Fresh3D, a small developer with a good engine. Recently they did 2 games with Salomon: Wild Water Adrenaline and Mountain Bike Adrenaline.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/wildwateradrenaline

http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000083274.html

- Elsewhere entertainment now 10tacle Belgium (doing Totems)

This is, I think, the real new Appeal. But laletly they work only on a Judo game:

http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000076434.html

Not bad but not really good either.

There is also widescreen game which were created by the project manager of outcast. But this company do bad games after bad games and sometimes just average game.

So I'm a bit doubtfull about the Totems project. They promote it as a "Le Parkour" game which really annoyed me.

I prefer to see the game running before getting excited.

...but with less sand, Persians and princes, presumably. Most odd.

Can't say there's anything compelling here so far. I did find Outcast fascinating, though, and played it for ages at ECTS when it debuted there. Never did have a computer powerful enough to run it at the time, and couldn't ever find it on budget once I did.

Frankly, I think more people would be excited if 10tacle had announced a new Outcast game... :violin:

Yeah, it really sounds like it'll suck. This thread was really more about reminiscing about Outcast, and what a fucking awesome game it was.

Outcast seems to be one buggy game. Too bad. I was about to buy it a while back.

Outcast's buggy as hell, and the crippling voxel engine ensures it only runs at extremely low resolutions. It's like looking at a jagged, animated saw for hours on end. But once you see past that, you'll obviously get sucked into one of the most charming fantasy worlds ever created. It'll still be buggy though.

Appeal was working on Outcast 2 before it combusted, but apparently it was shaping up to be a lot more action-oriented and mediocre, so I think it wouldn't have lived up to the perfect action-adventure hybrid that was the first game.

I thought the game was beautiful. Unlike all the other games at that, with their shitty ten-polygon characters, the places and people in Outcast felt more real to me. I've always had sort of a fetish for huge pixels, though.

Oh it's definitely charming as heck. It has just aged extremely poorly and it will take some serious effort of the player to adjust to the graphics. The rewards are great, but the initial effort is steep.

I'd say it's aged much better than other titles from around that time. Some of the effects they use in the game didn't become common until a couple of years ago.

"a spectacular super-heroic action platform game with tactical elements"

Wow...

"..lets the player magically transform the world to fit their own style and skill level." Wonderful how that effectively tells us nothing.. :finger:

Looks pretty, though. Or is it just me?

I'm sure it presents the player with "challenging tasks" and sends him or her on a "fantastic adventure" too.

So this is another dead Outcast sequel? Weep. :violin:

Haven't heard anything about it since 2007.

As of the 5th of August 2008, 10tacle Studios has ceased all operations, and has closed down. The future, if any, for this game is now unknown. Further information can be found at http://planet-totems.net/.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totems_%28video_game%29