miffy495

Resident Evil 4 Wii

Anyone want to bet on how long it takes before the original post is altered so as to cover up the original intent?

So everyone talks about how the Meat Circus is so fucking hard, but I didn't have half the trouble getting through it as I have had on several of the parts of "Resident Evil 4."

For the most part, I really like the controls (although I have the same problem wii wanking and then pressing a button that miffy has, even if I think it's more entertaining than just pressing a button during a cut scene), but get really frustrated when I have to start over again after working on something for half an hour. I like that you can die really quickly if somebody chops your head off, but I wish that the restart-point was a bit closer to where I left off.

Also, should we merge the 2 RE4:WE threads?

http://idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5284&highlight=resident+evil

What, seriously? Because Resident Evil 4 never lets you go far without a savepoint. I certainly don't recall any gruelling bits where I had to start over way, way back. This isn't Metroid Prime, you know! Now THAT's a game that sometimes defines gruelling start-overs.

Crap, I'd forgotten about the previous thread. Sorry for starting a new one...

As for difficulty, I'm with Rodi. There are some bits that are brutally hard, yeah, but most of them are boss fights. If you fail those you can restart about 30 seconds before the fight. Seems fair to me.

I'd support this notion, too; even if you do die having not saved for a while, the game is very fair in restarting you at the beginning of the current section, not the entire level.

There's no way I'd still be playing if the game was more brutal when it came to regressing play.

It was one of the many pleasant surprises about the title for me to be honest. You don't even notice the game quietly saving in the background at the start of a section, mid-play--as opposed to when you've gone through a green "area" door.

Crap, I'd forgotten about the previous thread. Sorry for starting a new one...

As for difficulty, I'm with Rodi. There are some bits that are brutally hard, yeah, but most of them are boss fights. If you fail those you can restart about 30 seconds before the fight. Seems fair to me.

Yeah, but I'd play some of those boss fights for a long damn time before dying.

The garden maze is one example of what I'm getting at. Sure, you get to restart at the entrance, but it's pretty annoying when you got all the way through it and then died on your way out because you didn't see the dog coming.

The game has probably gotten more play on anything else on my Wii, so I'm not saying the qualms are a deal breakers, but I don't always have enough free time to make it to a save point (on the bright side, there are always typewriters before the bosses).

EDIT: Added Spoiler tag as per comment below. Spoiler contains reference to one of the locations and how I died in it (no story info or completion tips).

Spoilers, bitch! :( :( :(:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :\ :\ :\

:spiraldy: :spiraldy: :spiraldy:

Seriously, please use the spoilers tag in future. :getmecoat

Sorry man. I'm usually up on the spoiler tags, but I really didn't think any of the information spoiled anything, and didn't want to make it a pain to read. Tag added.

Aaanyway, just picked this up again, and I'm at the place where I've just met the flasher who sells guns and there's the village with rope bridges and fucking zillions of bad guys. I've tried a couple of times now, and I always think I'm safe when I hear a hissing fuse from some unidentfiable location, and I try to turn and look around and then the fucking cunt piece of shit slow turning and non-strafing cocksucking piece of shit--

flower_d001.jpg

Let me rephrase my question: Is the awesome gameplay style of letting you do something that takes a while and then just kill you off so you have to restart representative of most of this game? It's awesome, and with the exception of slow turning and non-strafing fucking fuck, the controls are some of the best I've used, and the combat is super, but I get so easily frustrated with games that have you running all the way back to the typewriter before doing every little thing or else you have to restart. I noticed the thread saying the game's usually pretty generous with saving points, so I guess I'll try some more.

But this fucking lack of strafing.

edit: Please note that I love games. I also love RE4, and although I'm experiencing some challening parts, I still love it.

Oh my gosh, I just met the first chainsaw guy! Any tips on how to kill one with a grenade and 14 bullets?

In games with hit-based damage, I always wait for people to resume their normal approach animation before shooting, since I have the impression I do more damage then, like they can't take damage when they're "busy" bending over in pain or lying down.

haha the chainsaw guys. They will become as bread and butter to you.

Tip: Kill it! kill it now! for god sake kill it quickly before it gets too close! AHGHhGGDSHfjgdfhghfg...

Or, you know, run away.

The chainsaw guy (Dr. Salvador) in the village only comes when you've entered a house with a shotgun on the wall above the stairs. In all frankness, it'll be rough to kill this sonbitch just yet, so your best bet is to escape him as quickly as possible. Do not let him get close ;)

haha the chainsaw guys. They will become as bread and butter to you.

Tip: Kill it! kill it now! for god sake kill it quickly before it gets too close! AHGHhGGDSHfjgdfhghfg...

Or, you know, run away.

Wait, running away is a working tactic in this game? I thought the point was to kill everyone. Won't he just chase me everywhere? I managed to hit him with a grenade, then shoot him in the face with all my bullets, but even then he continued to not be dead.
The chainsaw guy (Dr. Salvador) in the village only comes when you've entered a house with a shotgun on the wall above the stairs. In all frankness, it'll be rough to kill this sonbitch just yet, so your best bet is to escape him as quickly as possible. Do not let him get close ;)
Uh, this guy has a name? Is it possible we're talking about some sort of boss here? This guy seemed like just another bad guy, only with a chainsaw and lots of health. I'll go look for a shotgun.

Hmm, all this talk is giving me pangs of playing RE4 again - this time to completion.

Another one for the Pile of Shame then... :getmecoat

Is it all right for, say, an adventure game to allow you to become stuck because you've given away some item and force you to reload to an earlier point and give a guy something different instead?

If not, is it all right for a game to allow you to progress and save the game, even though you have used too much ammo or have too low health to practically be able to progress?

It's easy to prevent in adventure games, because everything's controllable and predictable; you either have something or you don't. In games with health and ammo (or any resource that affects difficulty in often hard-to-predict ways), this can lead to the pre-boss storage chambers of for example the Half-Lives, with shelves stocked full of health, grenades and ammo for every weapon, essentially guaranteeing at least some chance of success.

Other games, like (it appears) RE4, are more realistic and hardcore. Hey, maybe I spent too many bullets on some easy enemies in the last section, and didn't want to splurge on extra shotgun ammo. I'm fucked, because there's a chainsaw-wielding maniac outside and I have no possibillity of defeating him with what I have. It's not like the clips will just magically appear in a cupboard because the game detects I need them. A while back I started playing a parallel version of the game; a doomed storyline with no chance of a happy ending.

I read a while back about the balancing of Half-Life, and how they had these complex models and simulations for "calculating" where to put ammo and health, and making sure the player always had at least enough to survive. These are two completely different schools of thought: one helps the player through the story, the other one just throws you into this world and forces you to figure out shit for yourself. The last one sounds more interesting and "right" to me, but, thinking back, I don't think I've never actually enjoyed games like that.

To me, saving the game means I'm actually safe, I've come one step further, and everything I've done I've put behind me; there are no loose ends. In other games it's just a way of letting you pause playing for a while. When you reload, you're still fucked up the ass.

Does anyone know what the differences are between RE4's difficulty settings?

Does anyone know what the differences are between RE4's difficulty settings?

"Succeed" and "Cry like a girl".

"Succeed" and "Cry like a girl".

Aha! You don't have anything more... specific?