miffy495

I can't wait for level 17...

So Spielberg's upcoming game projects are starting to see a little bit of light. A choice quote:

The second game (Spielberg is said to be working on three with Electronic Arts) is a PS3 and Xbox 360 game code-named LMNO which is described as "North by Northwest meets ET... if ET were female, grown up and hot.

...:eek::blink::erm:

Oh, I'm crying alright. Just not the way that I think Spielberg meant.

Let's give the man a chance. Two things speak against him already though: they're not objective games but even now 'Spielberg's toys' and connected to it, the bad press he got with his ridiculous quotes which were good for the mainstream who don't know a lot about games, but verrry bad for the actual gaming audience.

Sorry but that ET quote is just plain bad to anyone...

It's hard to believe that the people who brought us Alien Breed, Body Blows and Superfrog wanted us to cry.....?

I'm pretty sure that's Team17

anyway... I can't wait for a game that is like "A meets B ... where everything in B is different"

Yes, because Notting Hill opened the waterworks with me. Can't imagine what a NH game could do.

How do we know ET wasn't female and grown up?

And I'm sure she'd look great after a bit of botox.

It's hard to believe that the people who brought us Alien Breed, Body Blows and Superfrog wanted us to cry.....?

elmuerte is right, that's Team17 and they're still up in Yorkshire producing versions of Worms.

What's level 17 in the thread title for, eh Miffy? :confused:

What's level 17 in the thread title for, eh Miffy? :confused:

it's a reference to a Spielberg:

"When asked how long before the two mediums are equal, Spielberg said, 'I think the real indicator will be when somebody confesses that they cried at Level 17.'"

Man is that 17 quote poor.

Tell me about it. Level 19 is where the real emotion begins. :(

---

And it sounds like he's making "Species: The Game."

And it sounds like he's making "Species: The Game."

Yet again, he's finding every use for tissues except for the one that he means to! :shifty:

Cynicism FTW! :)

Honestly, these titles sound great.

The X360/PS3 title is a great way to experiment with emotional characters in video games. The important part here is that your sidekick is a robot/alien/whatever. This means they can focus less on making her realistic in every possible way, and focus more on the character interaction. Hell, if they were feeling particularly ballsy, they could even use a voice-synth and have limitless dialog options.

I don't know why everyones fussing over the Wii game. The Wii needs more physics-based games, plus even though I don't really know what "the charm of a Saturday-morning cartoon" means, I'm guessing it'll have a somewhat imaginative art style.

And of course there's the "Spielberg, stick to movies" brigade (not here, but on other websites). Have we all forgotten that Spielberg is infact a gamer? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but was he not responsible for the first Medal Of Honour game? And did he not have some sort of influence at "the old" LucasArts. I know he had influence on The Dig, but I've heard stories about him visiting LA along with Lucas a couple of times.

Rodi's got it spot on too ... note that he isn't doing "epic story from A to B" games. He's doing games where the player influences the world.

All of this makes me think he's got a shot at doing something decent, if not great.

SiN

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love The Dig and know that Spielberg has a lot of potential for writing/producing/whatever a great game. It's just that... That description. It was painful to read. "If ET were female, grown-up, and hot." It's not cynicism that tells me that that's a horrible description. It's the same part of me that reacts when someone says something like "Cheetos are like a bagel. If they were air puffed, cheese-covered, and tiny sticks." It's reaching to compare something to something else that I already like, while simultaneously making it blatantly obvious that they share really no similarity. Usually, tactics like this are used when trying to convince me that something that's horrible isn't.

EDIT: Now this is more like it.

The second, and more ambitious project in development, is a contemporary action-packed adventure that puts you in the leading role of an emotional journey where your actions tell the tale. Set against the backdrop of an epic story, the game focuses on a touching and ever-changing relationship between you and a mysterious female character who holds the key to many futures. The game is in development for PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360™ Video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC. No ship timeframe has been disclosed.

Now it sounds like he's shooting for ICO with dialogue. Why couldn't they have said this in the first place?

I'm pretty sure that's Team17

Doh!

:getmecoat

I'm sure there was a game company called Level 17. Somewhere... Honest.

Edit: Actually I was mixing Team17 with these guys... maybe they if aimed for a higher level they would have produced some decent games :)