Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

EDGE names Ocarina of Time 'greatest game ever'

Or as I like to call the magazine "The Edge of Hyperbole"

There's not much to discuss. They are wrong and the voters clearly have limited experience in the world of games. That's not to say I didn't enjoy OoT, but best game ever it certainly was not.

I think lists like these are bollocks anyway. Not that I'm necessarily in disagreement over Ocarina, but the craftsmanship of any game can only amount to a certain level of excellence. After that, it's purely a matter of taste whether or not the game is propelled to classic heights. That Ocarina is a favourite of many speaks for its atmosphere and riches and commercial success, but says little about it being 'the best'.

How come you're still whining about the outcome of such 'poll' when you seem to understand that there is no such thing as an objective greatest game ever and that this sort of award only pretend to reflect the taste and opinions of a particular staff ? I mean, you can disagree all you want about their choice but it's fine for what it is so... I don't get your reaction.

meh... it's their list, not mine.

their top 10 even includes games like Halo and Half Life 2

it's just a popularity contest

Was going to make a comment about how really, at it's core, Twilight Princess is just a nicer looking Ocarina of Time, but then I remembered that we've all covered this already so instead of retyping the same tired argument I'll write something different.

I wonder what criteria Edge used to choose the most popular game? What sets it out from other games? Ocarina has a nice story, but in the end it's pretty basic. The Z-Targeting was groundbreaking, that's for sure. But there are other games with more entertaining gameplay that didn't completely revolutionise a control system. Theme Park, Prince of Persia (the original one), Flashback, these are just a few.

But yeah, as someone already said - it's all objective. There's no definitive "best game ever".

But yeah, as someone already said - it's all objective. There's no definitive "best game ever".

Except for Grim Fandango. :waluigi:

Except for Grim Fandango. :waluigi:

Yes, but you said that, and then posted an image of Waluigi, who first debuted in Mario Tennis (not to be confused with Mario's Tennis for Virtual Boy or Mario Tennis for Game Boy Color). Ergo, your subconscious betrays you by revealing your secret, raw, hot, emotional love for Mario Tennis over Grim Fandango.

My logic is irrefutable. Maybe

The use of Waluigi was clearly a Grim Fandango reference, in that Waluigi has nearly the exact same mustache as Hector LeMans. Clearly.