Sign in to follow this  
Rado

Vending machine conspiracy continues!

From http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789358p1.html:

Eidos Confirms Next Deus Ex

The new Eidos Montreal studio is reviving the action RPG.

by Daemon Hatfield

May 17, 2007 - In a recent interview on French-language television station MusiquePlus the director of Eidos France, Patrick Melchior, revealed a new Deus Ex game is in the works. The revival of the franchise is the "first mission" of Eidos' new Montreal studio, currently made up of around 40 people.

Deus Ex is an action RPG series created by Warren Spector and Ion Storm and originally released by Eidos in 2000. The game received a sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War, in 2003, but since then the series has been dormant. Ion Storm shut its doors in 2005, and Warren Spector is working on a game with his new Junction Point Studios. Details on this revival are not clear at this time, but Melchior says we can expect to hear more about the next Deus Ex game in a few months.

No Spector this time, but if these new guys turn out to be smart people, that may not be a bad thing. On the other hand, I think Harvey Smith works freelance now, so it's still possible he'll have a hand in this.

Wasn't Invisible War panned, a bit? Is this, in fact, a good idea?

Having said that I only ever played the demo of the sequal. What was wrong with it exactly?

Invisible War was okay, but it didn't capture the magic of the original.

A friend of mine who never played Deus Ex loved Invisible War. I was kinda meh about the whole thing. It's all about what you're expecting. This guy, who's entire shoter experience to that point had been Halo and Perfect Dark, was overwhelmed with all the awesome. I, who had played Deus Ex and was hoping for a proper sequel, was let down. I still enjoyed my time with it, mind. It's an above average shooter, but an unworthy successor. Don't get your expectations too high and you'll have fun.

Yeah, I guess it's all in the expectations. It has more cool stuff than the average shooter: dialogue, factions, story, stuff. But it has less cool, and more shitty stuff than Deus Ex. I hate saying that console games are always "dumbed down" compared to PC games, but there's no other way to describe what's going on with Invisible War. It's the Hitler of Deus Ex games.

I should play those games some time, they're are still in shrink wrap.

I only played Invisible War's demo once when it was released and thought it was otherwise ok, but the physics engine was pretty bad.

I feel like I've committed a crime against gaming in general as I do own Deus Ex, but I have never played it... ;(

I loved Deus Ex. Probably my favorite game of all time, along with Grim Fandango. I have since lost the disc, but on steam its only $10 now, so I'm thinking of playing through it again. Gah that was an amazing game.

I'd play it again, but I'm afraid my graphics-whoredom will take away from my enjoyment. But damn, that is one fantastic game!

The physics engine in Invisible War is actually great, but the developers obviously didn't tune it right. The same engine works great in Thief III.

I'd play it again, but I'm afraid my graphics-whoredom will take away from my enjoyment. But damn, that is one fantastic game!

Graphics haven't really been a big issue for me for old games. It's usually the controls that gets to me. Often it's how unresponsive the controls are and something it's just that I got used to the new method (e.g. FPS games). It's seriously difficult to play, for example, ROTT or Duke3D.

It's seriously difficult to play, for example, ROTT or Duke3D.

Yeah, they don't even have proper mouselook. Of course, they're not really proper 3d either.

Yeah, they don't even have proper mouselook. Of course, they're not really proper 3d either.

Wha.. ?

Wha.. ?
What "What"? About the mouselook or the 3d? Those engines were never proper 3D, they were some perverted 2,5D(2.5D) stuff with Doom-like levels stacked on top of each other or somesuch. At least that's what I remember from my level editing days.

despite that, those FPS games were not made with mouse look into mind

This is the best news I've heard all week. Btw, deus ex trivia: jc denton is voiced by none other than jay anthony franke, who played jake sommers in california dreams. he is now bald and chubbing and works for activision.

What "What"? About the mouselook or the 3d? Those engines were never proper 3D, they were some perverted 2,5D(2.5D) stuff with Doom-like levels stacked on top of each other or somesuch. At least that's what I remember from my level editing days.

Yep, just like wolvenstein, doom, dark forces and even doom II. You couldn't do true 3D. One hallway crossing on top of another was impossible in those engines. Quake was the first true 3D engine if I'm not mistaken.

Quake wasn't the first, Terminator Future Shock was the first to have true 3D

Duke3D supported room over room, but only when not both rooms were visible at the same time.

Yep, just like wolvenstein, doom, dark forces and even doom II. You couldn't do true 3D. One hallway crossing on top of another was impossible in those engines. Quake was the first true 3D engine if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I literally came the first time I played the Quake tech demo, walking up stairs and stuff.

Looking back, it might've been urine, but nevertheless, the Quake tech demo was totally awesome. Also, making Quake multiplayer levels was really cool. There was a time when level making hadn't become such an art and time consuming endeavour that even I could make a fun multiplayer map.

Quake 1 deathmatch still plays well even today. Every game since has just been adding bells and whistles :oldman: :oldman: :oldman:

Wasn't System Shock the first true 3D engine, or was that faking it too?

I didn't play it for more than two minutes, but I seem to remember a 2.5D-ness to it.

oh right.. System Shock, always forget that one

There were a couple of true 3D engines before Quake I think, but none were quite as "proper". I mean, most were pseudo-3d (like Duke3d), used sprites for characters, had shoddy lighting, or had very high system requirements. Quake did *everything* in 3D. The "hand-and-weapon", the enemies, the weapons/healthpacks on the floor, the levels, etc. Of course, special fx were sprites, but that's still true till today.

Quake was the first engine that had no restrictions at all. Dan isn't too far off the mark either, Carmack has always said that Quake was his last truly revolutionary engine, everything since then has just been an evolution of the Quake engine.

SiN

that's not true, both System Shock and Terminator Future Shock were true 3D, ofcourse they used sprites for various things, but the environment and a lot of characters were polygon based. But iirc quake also used sprites for certain special effects.