doremi

Super Paper Mario

Like I said in the other thread; this must be mine immediately. I just can't go on another day without turning scenery around and solving puzzles like that NOW.

You may also like Crush for PSP. Dare I say, that its use of this mechanic looks even better than Super Paper Mario's (sacrilage!).

Yes, I know that trailer. Is it coincidence that this idea suddenly pops up in two different games, or is there some wilful 'inspiration' from one of the parties to the other? Not that it matters, but I find it amusing that the idea should suddenly surface twice.

That said, not a single follicle in my brain (yes) doubts that Super Paper Mario will come with a lot more creative uses for the idea. The things we've seen so far are only from the first level or so. Also, I don't really like the look of Crush; it's too... drab, too indistinct. Compare that to the striking visuals of SPM (even if I don't find those particularly beautiful either)...

Heh, speaking of innovation , there is a nice theory which is called something like "heuristic memory" which states that in the history of mankind innovations and discovery were made around the same time at totally different places : the wheel, use of iron, 0 in Math, and so on... so why not 2D/3D gameplay shifting ?

You may also like Crush for PSP. Dare I say, that its use of this mechanic looks even better than Super Paper Mario's (sacrilage!).

Well, I should hope so as that mechanic is everything that Crush is designed around. SPM has a little more going for it. Plus, it's Mario so it can't get too complicated... unlike Crush. From what I've read, there are some puzzles that might take half an hour to an hour to solve. Sounds frustrating yet totally awesome.

And it sucks that the Wii is getting something this awesome while I still don't have one.

I think it's totally surprising that there's something this good coming out for the Wii when it hasn't been around for a year. Of course, it's a GC port :shifty:, so that explains a lot. But why complain?

They both look totally awesome. But since I'm boycotting Sony, I know which one I'm gonna play. I hope I have Wii by the time SPM is released.

Super Paper Mario totally looks awesome. Does anyone know when it will be released in Europe? Should be out in US and Japan in April.

Btw. I've been thinking of buying Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and I would like to know how does Wavebird feel in ones hand? It looks a bit bulky but I'd really prefer a wireless controller.

Btw. I've been thinking of buying Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and I would like to know how does Wavebird feel in ones hand? It looks a bit bulky but I'd really prefer a wireless controller.

It looks bulky, but it feels perfectly fine. Your hands don't really need to go around the bulky part, so you don't notice it much.

Having said that, the Wavebirds do lack rumble, which is why I opted to get a normal cube pad instead.

SiN

Man, why couldn't the release it on the GameCube as well, like they did with Twilight Princess?

Not owning a Wii is really starting to get on my nerves.

Super Paper Mario totally looks awesome. Does anyone know when it will be released in Europe? Should be out in US and Japan in April.

There's no rumble so the wavebird as actually quite a bit lighter than the regular GC controller. As for Thousand Year door, it seems most people like it, but I think its derivative and tedious, try the gameboy advance mario RPG (superstar Saga I think it's called) if you haven't already.

so get one then.

Yeah... because that's just the easiest thing in the world.

so get one then.

Yeah. Why don't you dig a hole in your backyard and find gold while you're at it.

Crush looks more like the direction i would have wanted to see SPM take. So far, SPM's mechanic looks like it boils down to simply an akward way to shift perspective in a game that's 3D to begin with, whereas Crush allows you to collapse the many layers of terrain into one. I don't know, I guess SPM does the same, but Crush just feels more innovative.

But yes, I have a Wii and I don't have a PSP, so I guess the decision was kind of made for me.

And Rodi I have to know: Where did you get your avatar from?

Hmm, seen from that angle, I have to concur that Crush appears to theoretically hold deeper 'flipping' gameplay. Hopefully Mario will surprise us yet; because the chances of me getting a PSP are close to zero.

My avatar was a fortunate find on Google. You'd be surprised how little nice pictures there are of Scorpius. Most are tiny, blurry or not that pretty. Ohh, last week I blasted through season 4 of Farscape, which I hadn't seen before, and then topped it off with Peacekeeper War. Delicious. Pity I didn't dream of it, though my head was brimming with wormholes and whatnot.

It was a fantastic series, but I don't really mind it being replaced by Galactica.

Hey, Crush
!

nice indeed. I searched a bit about that game. It sounds like proffessor fizzwizzle with the 2d/3d mechanic. Really would like to see how they both come out.

Looks like Crush has the 3D mode as the 'main' mode, while it's the other way around in Mario. I think I prefer the Mario approach.

Crush looks more puzzle oriented where paper mario is obviously more action oriented. I think I'll like both in a different way.

I think it's more the the middle ground between a puzzle-game's pace and a standard Mario platformer. Doesn't look too action-y to me.