Moosferatu

Metroid Prime

I just picked up Metroid Prime today as I heard that it's a pretty great game. What's with the controls? Aiming is absolutely ridiculous.

What do you mean? You press L to lock on and...that's it! Unless you want free-hand aiming, in which case you use R. But you don't really need it.

If you're asking "Why didn't they implement Dual-Analog Controls?" then the answer is that it's not (at least, not intentionally) a first-person shooter as much as a "first person adventure," to use Nintendo's words. Really, it's an attempt at translating the 2D Metroid mechanics over into 3D.

I figured there was some sort of reasoning like that. I think it makes movement more cumbersome, but it's not going to stop me from playing it.

You'll adjust. It's just a completely unique game. That always needs some adjusting.

Don't let yourself be disheartened by the brutality of some of the bosses!

Yeah, you'll get used to the controls pretty quickly.

This game would've been one of my favourites ever if I had the free time to do all the backtracking exploring this game requires you to do.

I obsessed over that game a couple of years back and got 100% on it. Good times. For me, the only difficult boss was Meta-Ridley. Prime was tough, but doable. 'Course, it may have only been because by that point I had all the energy tanks and upgrades. Without tricked-out Samus, I may not have done so well.

And just to lend more support to the statement, you really will be surprised how quickly the controls will make more sense.

Metroid Prime is still one of my favourite games from the last generation. I love the world design. It's very video game-ish in how it's built, but it looks so natural and organic that you don't really notice it. It was a basically a perfect transition from 2D Metroid to 3D and if you approach it like that, it's very enjoyable. If you approach it expecting a standard FPS, you won't.

Control it like a third person game and you'll be fine. It basically is a third person game... just all you see of that person is the inside of their helmet and their arm.

Also I need to finish Metroid Prime. I put it down after playing it a ton when it first came out, but now every time I try to pick it back up, I have no idea what the fuck is going on, have no idea where I am, and can't remember how anything works, so it goes back on the shelf :(

Also I need to finish Metroid Prime. I put it down after playing it a ton when it first came out, but now every time I try to pick it back up, I have no idea what the fuck is going on, have no idea where I am, and can't remember how anything works, so it goes back on the shelf :(

Ahahaha I feel the same way. I load the game and have no idea where I'm supposed to go, so I pick a random door and trek for about an hour and realize I already went through this area a hundred times. That's when I say "fuck it" and play katamari instead.

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever made. Seriously, it's amazing. The controls are perfect. I hated them too the first time but after playing for an hour I got completely used to them.

This game has some of the best and most spine-tingling moments to be had in gaming, and the classic Metroid structure and gameplay is translated so well and presented in such a refined way that it's almost unbelievable given that it was in a whole new context.

Do you guys recommend the DS version of this? I've never played one so I don't know what to expect but I'm kind of after something... "different"

Metroid Prime Hunters is one of the best game available for the nDS.

Great graphics, perfect mood, awsome controls, and wonderful multiplayer.

Go buy it. Now.

The DS version is action focused, while the first Prime's best attributes were its exploration and atmosphere building. Even the gamecube sequel seems poor in comparison, so play the original Prime if you want to play any at all.

Prime is fantastic. Haven't played DS for long, as I've only had chances at it on other people's systems and don't own it. Seems like they took Quake and threw it into the Metroid universe. If that's your thing, go for it. On the cube, it's a slow and deliberate game that wants you to drink in the atmosphere and really get into exploring. On the DS, it's about blowing shit up, but is still pretty fun. Make the call based on what you'd rather do, but know that playing one does not equal playing the other.

I figured there was some sort of reasoning like that. I think it makes movement more cumbersome, but it's not going to stop me from playing it.

Nooooooooooooo! It makes movement more free, because all you have to worry about is movement. You don't have to worry about aiming because of the lock on. Compare and contrast with modern console shooters where you have to invest so much effort in the aiming, that it's hard to give time to thinking about moving. (And following on from that, shooters that make this limited movement into a feature - the "cover shooter".)

It's not necessarily better, but it's so refreshingly different, as you will learn once you get further into the game and you have things leaping around all over the place. The pace of the fights is so much higher. Love it.

Beware, though! If you're colourblind it's apparently much harder/impossible to beat the last boss. Not being colourblind, however, I wouldn't know why.

I thought it was a good game, but by the end I was a bit tired of it. I certainly wasn't in the mood for playing a sequel.

Ahahaha I feel the same way. I load the game and have no idea where I'm supposed to go, so I pick a random door and trek for about an hour and realize I already went through this area a hundred times. That's when I say "fuck it" and play katamari instead.

Dude, check the map!