Sign in to follow this  
Jake

New POP 2 screens, story info

Saw this news on the shack a minute ago...

thumb_Princeof_persia2_BoatKillingSpree0007_copy.jpgthumb_Princeof_persia2_BoatKillingSpree0024_copy.jpgthumb_Princeof_persia2_TowerFight0001_copy.jpgthumb_Princeof_persia2_TowerFight0027_copy.jpgthumb_Princeof_persia2_TowerFight0031_copy.jpg

When he opened the Hourglass at the start of Sands of Time, the Prince inadvertently set into motion events, which would reach far beyond his adventure at the Sultan's palace.

He was supposed to die... but as we all know, not only did The Prince survive the opening of the Hourglass, he managed to reseal the sands and prevent the disaster from ever occurring. He had changed his fate. This was a terrific thing for the people of his kingdom, but a virtual death sentence for the Prince.

Fate doesn't like to be pushed around. And when an individual, through some incredible act of bravery, heroism, or luck, manages to avoid his or her fate, a Dahaka is spawned.

The Dahaka's job is simple: restore things to the way they should have been. And since The Prince "should have" died in the Sultan's palace, it's the Dahaka's job to make that happen. The Dahaka is really good at its job. So good, in fact, that in all of recorded history, there is no mention of an individual managing to escape its grasp.

And so ever since The Prince defeated the Vizier and resealed the Sands of Time, he's had a new enemy to deal with - one which he cannot seem to harm.

Initially, The Prince sought training - with skilled warriors - and later, on the field of battle. Driven by a desire to be rid of this creature he threw himself into the fray with little concern for his own personal safety. If he was to have any chance of killing this thing, he'd have to become a master swordsman. The enemies he fought and faced seemed insignificant compared to this beast. And when he wasn't fighting, The Prince was avoiding The Dahaka - by travelling to the furthest corners of the known world. It was only a matter of days - sometimes mere hours - before The Dahaka would find its way to our hero's location, forcing him to move once more.

People ignorant of The Prince's true situation just assumed he'd gone mad. He raced about the world, rarely sleeping, always fighting. But the truth of the matter is he's up against an apparently invincible creature which is never more than a few steps behind him. And it's driving him him mad...

Wooo, etc. Sounds like they're at least trying with the story. POP:SOT's story was simple, but well told considering the gameplay was entirely (good) jump puzzles and (frustrating) swording of people. I continue to excitedly await this game :)

That's sort of cheesy, but also totally awesome. If they do it right the game should have a really urgent and compelling feel. I can't wait.

I actually suck so much, I couldn't even finish the game, because the fights were too hard.

The first one was a bust in my opinion--but it could just be me, since every action game I play sours me on the genre more and more. Tedious combat aside, I found its platforming elements to be pretty schloppy too....you can run on walls, yeah. The last jumpy-action game that I really liked would be ICO (if you could call that action), and to a lesser extent viewtiful joe.

A bit more POP stuff in an interview on IGN:

IGN: Will the game have a subtitle?

Yannis Mallat: Yes, the game will have a subtitle. We're currently in the finalizing stage….expect an announcement soon.

IGN: Is there a worry that some of the critical acclaim and general love the original received due to its lighthearted nature will be lost with the sequel's transition into the action genre?

Yannis Mallat: With POP 2 (working title, btw), we are making a clear genre-shift that will blow away anyone's needs for action and combat. This doesn't mean we are not putting the right amount of realization, on the contrary.

You know, I would say that the critical acclaim and general love for the first game mostly came from how it was well crafted and how smooth the experience was for the player to fall into the game. Whatever the nature of the masterpiece, the secret always lies on the realization of it, on how you design, implement and bring emotions to the player. Half-Life was not lighthearted at all, but it got the same critical success for the same reasons.

Eventually, I promise you that all POP's fans will feel the same magic but much more energized from pure thrill-packed action-combat gameplay. We're already psyched about the effect the game has on people who had a chance to play.

And from the end... I'm not sure what to make of this yet... I suspect I'll need to play the game before figuring out exactly what he means. They're being pretty fast and loose with "adventure" "puzzle" and "action" throughout the interview, and throughout the first game even, so... yeah.

IGN: What is the ratio of combat to adventure and puzzle solving in PoP 2? The first game seemed to be about 60% adventure and 30% combat... How about now?

Yannis Mallat: If you say that the previous game was 60 % adventure, 30 % combat and 10 % puzzling, I would say that this new opus is definitely making a real genre shift. Although I really don't like breakdowns, for this time only I will tell you that the game revolves around some very heart-pumping Action. Combat oriented action with the same amount of well thought level design and realization. The initial adventure masterpiece will be replaced by the most incredible action masterpiece featuring an evolved hero. Get ready!

Well, clearly it's just more of a combat-based game.

Another new screenshot:

prince2.gif

No wait, this looks old... But it really is called Prince of Persia 2, though... :erm:

--Erwin

It looks like they're returning The Prince Of PerSia to His RooTs ... CrAp. I hate caPitalisatiOn.

WOW! Check out the bumpmapping on those stone walls!!!

Look at the horizon and the buildings. The perspective is off! This wouldn't have happened if they used 3D. Can't they see 3D is the future?

--Erwin

Look at the horizon and the buildings. The perspective is off! This wouldn't have happened if they used 3D. Can't they see 3D is the future?

--Erwin

If only it were a perspective! It is some sort of isometric bullshit that Giotto would never have made...