Erwin_Br

PlayStation Mayhem

Wow, compared to what happened in the US yesterday, the PS3 release in Japan went ultra-smooth:

http://www.washingtonpost...1/17/AR2006111700325.html and YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyKWWVXNMYo

About 30 miles away, another shopper was beaten and robbed of his new PlayStation 3 just minutes after he bought it at a store in Manchester, police said.

Andrew Templeton, 20, and David Wiggins, 28, of Sullivan, Ind., were assaulted by two teens after waiting for 36 hours at a Super Wal-Mart, police said.

Elsewhere, two men wearing black ski masks and sunglasses made off with five consoles after holding two employees at gunpoint at an Englewood, Ohio, video game store Thursday night, police said.

A Pennsylvania teenager was also robbed of his new PlayStation by a man who tapped on his car window with a handgun in Allentown, police said.

In some places police had to fire rubber bullits to control the masses.

--Erwin

And all just for a console that at the moment only has mediocre launch games and for the coming years will have games that have no graphical difference with the 360 whatsoever due to developer multifunctionality. Nice.

Morons' Flying Circus, I tell you, Morons' Flying Circus....

Heh. The guy at the future shop had me laughing quite a bit when I called up to ask about how many Wiis they were getting and what time he'd recommend I show up in the morning. He had the most tired and broken voice imaginable, as though he were only a few more stupid questions away from turning a gun on himself.

(extremely worn out voice) Thank you for calling Future Shop. *sigh* You wanted to know about the PS3, right?
Dude, I could care less about the PS3. What's the word on Wii stock on Sunday?
(sounding kinda hopeful) Really?
Uh... yeah?
You are AWESOME! Thank you!

Those employees must really be sick of this nonsense. Pity the poor bastards.

I never get the "I could care less". Shouldn't it be 'I couldn't care less'? As in, you are already at the bottom of not-caring? When you say the former, it sounds like there's still some room for an even worse opinion, which really isn't what you're trying to say.

Maybe this is one of those things that got twisted by slang?

Yes, originally it was "couldn't", but people are lazy and don't really pay attention to what they're saying most of the time anyway.

Yeah Rodi you are utterly correct, the expression remains intact in English but got distorted in American to become nonsensical. It annoys me a little, heh.

I never get the "I could care less". Shouldn't it be 'I couldn't care less'? As in, you are already at the bottom of not-caring? When you say the former, it sounds like there's still some room for an even worse opinion, which really isn't what you're trying to say.

Maybe this is one of those things that got twisted by slang?

Finally somebody else pointed this out.

Hey I didn't say otherwise, just talking about this instance :)

It's generally a fucked up language....

Meh, everywhere has fucked up ways of saying things. It has always struck me as a somewhat odd expression, but the fact that in North America it's become "I could care less" means that as someone raised in North America, I use it. It's a lot less irritating to drop a "n't" off a word than to constantly throw in things like "innit" as many of your citizens do. Maybe that's just me though.

Sadly, I didn't even hear about the Fresno PS3 riot breaking out not five minutes away from where I live until tonight.

Go Fresno. :clap:

Meh, everywhere has fucked up ways of saying things. It has always struck me as a somewhat odd expression, but the fact that in North America it's become "I could care less" means that as someone raised in North America, I use it. It's a lot less irritating to drop a "n't" off a word than to constantly throw in things like "innit" as many of your citizens do. Maybe that's just me though.

None of our "citizens" throw around "innit". The scum at the bottom of the barrel of society does that.

In America, educated people say "I could care less".

Yeah, "innit" is the worst thing ever and is the reserve of chavs and scum.

I now feel uncomfortable when describing something as being in something else (i.e. it is "in it").

*shudders*

My pet peeve is educated people writing "of" instead of "have". I also have peeves against people objecting to the use of the word "got", and the word "till". I used to be really pedantic about this kind of thing, but I grew out of it, so now I'm just grumpy about it without being terribly vocal.