BooJaka

Wiigion Locking

I've heard a lot of things recently about region locking on the Wii and, by the looks of it, the whole thing seems to be surrounded in some strange kind of confusion what with one part of the company saying there won't be region locking and another saying there will be.

So has there been any firm clarification on this? Will the games be region locked like every console before it or are they completely region free a la DS? Also, is the same thing applying to the virtual console?

My understanding was they were planning to make the Wii region-free, then they changed their minds.

I heard a rumour a while back that there was going to be region-specific games on the virtual console, but I don't know if there's anything to it.

Wii games, region-locked.

VC games are a bit trickier. I mean, yes.. Japan gets a different catalogue of games than US and Europe. For example, they start with a whole lot more SNES games than us. So much is known.

That doesn't mean we won't get games that used to be Japan-only, on our European/US VC download center.

I bet it does, though. No proof, but I see getting formerly Japan-only games available on European VC as very unlikely.

I bet it does, though. No proof, but I see getting formerly Japan-only games available on European VC as very unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that's been confirmed. Games that were not released in a particular region will not be available on VC.

Incidentally, I have yet to see anyone confirm whether or not these are straight emulations or not. I am really not interested in buying straight emulated copies of older games.

XBLA is not straight emulation...all games have been edited to support XBL in some way, most with online multiplayer.

I think virtual console titles are emu because they plan to release 10 every month.

Virtual console titles, Japan gets the most.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/743/743043p1.html

Famicom (aka, the NES)

# Ice Hockey (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Urban Champion (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Kage no Densetsu (aka The Legend of Kage, Taito, 500pts)

# Gradius (Konami, 500pts)

# Gomoku Narabe (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Soccer (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Xevious (Bandai Namco Games, 500pts)

# Zelda no Densetsu (aka The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 500pts)

# Solomon no Kagi (aka Solomon's Key, Tecmo, 500pts)

# Tennis (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Ninja Jaja Marukun (Jaleco, 500pts)

# Pinball (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Baseball (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Mario Brothers (Nintendo, 500pts)

# Wario no Mori (aka Wario's Woods, Nintendo, 500pts)

Super Famicom (aka, Super Nintendo)

# F-Zero (Nintendo, 800pts)

# R-Type III (Nintendo, 800pts)

# Akumajo Dracula (presumably Super Castlevania, 800pts)

# Contra Spirits (Konami, 800pts)

# Sim City (Nintendo, 900pts)

# Street Fighter II (Capcom, 800pts)

# Super Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 800pts)

# Super Mario World (Nintendo, 800pts)

# Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo, 900pts)

# Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (Nintendo, 900pts)

# Mario no Super Picross (Nintendo, 800pts)

Nintendo 64

# Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, 1000pts)

Mega Drive (aka Genesis)

# Ecco the Dolphin (Sega, 600pts)

# Gunstar Heroes (Sega, 600pts)

# Golden Axe (Sega, 600pts)

# Columns (Sega, 600pts)

# Shadow Dancer (Sega, 600pts)

# Altered Beast (Sega, 600pts)

# Space Harrier II (Sega, 600pts)

# Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega, 600pts)

# Toejam & Earl (Sega, 600pts)

# Puyo Puyo (Sega, 600pts)

# Ristar the Shooting Star (Sega, 600pts)

PC Engine (aka Turbo Grafx)

# PC Genjin (aka Bonk's Adventure, Hudson, 600pts)

# Necromanser (Hudson, 600pts)

# Super Star Soldier (Hudson, 600pts)

# New Adventure Island (Hudson, 600pts)

# Dungeon Explorer (Hudson, 600pts)

# Battle Load Runner (Hudson, 600pts)

# Victory Run (Hudson, 600pts)

# Bomberman '94 (Hudson, 600pts)

Europe(Gets one more game than US, donkey kong country)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/743/743039p1.html

Usa

http://wii.ign.com/articles/742/742962p1.html

I think virtual console titles are emu because they plan to release 10 every month.

That kinda sucks.

Actually, that really sucks. And blows.

I'll stick to XBLA until they start releasing new games over VC.

Nintendo of America officials were the ones who started the region-free rumor by, well, saying that it was region-free. However, it was later revealed (either the following day or the same day) that those particular officials had misunderstood the question being asked of them.

Because, as usual, NOA is the most clueless branch of Nintendo, despite getting priority treatment with releases.

You can have multiplayer with emulation, though.

Yeah, you can. But it's still not going to be the same as Live Arcade without serious work. And Nintendo has given no indication that they're going to do that.

They have stated that they'll be making small updated-for-Wii... (shudders) Wii-makes of older Nintendo games, that will only be available on the VC.

XBLA or VC, is no question for me, though. Simply because I love Nintendo's games and never played a lot of the old classics.

What? Are you guys seriously complaining about the virtual console retro games being the same as they were when they first came out? Because, you know, that's kind of the point. The idea is to let you play old games on the new console, not to provide rereleased and remastered copies of them.

Whether it's emulated or not shouldn't even be a concern. Why would it? What do you expect them to do, recode the entire game for a new system architecture for the sole purpose of giving you the comfort of knowing it's not an emulated game? Because I'd rather have lots more of the SNES/N64 catalogues in less time.

Heck, even the Xbox 360's Xbox backwards compatibility is emulated, and it still takes them a lot of work to get each game to actually work — hence the relatively short list of backwards compatible games. If they weren't emulating they'd seriously never get them done.

What? Are you guys seriously complaining about the virtual console retro games being the same as they were when they first came out? Because, you know, that's kind of the point. The idea is to let you play old games on the new console, not to provide rereleased and remastered copies of them.

Whether it's emulated or not shouldn't even be a concern. Why would it? What do you expect them to do, recode the entire game for a new system architecture for the sole purpose of giving you the comfort of knowing it's not an emulated game? Because I'd rather have lots more of the SNES/N64 catalogues in less time.

For the amount of money they're charging? Yeah, I expect features like increased resolutions, online multiplayer, online leaderboards, etc.

You forget that those kind of changes are required by Microsoft for XBLA titles. You cannot take a game, dump its rom and throw it on XBLA. Microsoft has standards for those things, and yes, I think it's worthwhile.

Gauntlet, MK3, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc on XBLA all have online multiplayer, leaderboards and other modern features. And they still only cost $5 - $10.

Nintendo pulled this crap before, charging $20 for individual NES roms on GBA carts with no changes whatsoever. It's too bad people were willing to do that, because it set a precedent.

And for the record, this is different than 360's backwards compatibility. Completely different. It's not like I can take my existing N64 cart and pop it into my Wii. I am completely at Nintendo's mercy if I want to play those games on their new system.

You can feel free to overpay for something that can easily be bought on eBay for a buck, but I fail to see the value there. If Nintendo's going to sell them again, they should do more than provide shovelware.

I'd be perfectly happy to pay that for the likes of Donkey Kong Country, rather than dick around sorting out a SNES, then deal with all the cartridges and of course having it take up room in the living room. This dicking around is increased with each retro console I want to play.

Convenience and ease makes a surprising difference when it comes to things like this, hence the GBA scenario you just described being a reality. The demand is obviously there, no?

What can you really add to games like Super Mario World and Banjo-Kazooie anyway? I mean, Nintendo has never marketed the virtual console retro games as being anything more than the bringing of older classics to a new console for convenient play. And that works just fine for most people.

I think the difference between us that you don't perceive older games as having any value at all, and need extras such as leader boards to feel your money's been spent on anything. I personally think the price is completely reasonable for an oldie like DKC, and really, what value is a leader board and a higher resolution going to apply to such a game?

The games do actually go for a comparable pre-owned price in shops by the way. eBay is of course sporadically cheaper, but it's not exactly quick, the games are liable to be damaged or worn as with any pre-owned software, and of course they're not always available.

And I don't have a working SNES or N64 anymore, heh.

I think the difference between us that you don't perceive older games as having any value at all, and need extras such as leader boards to feel your money's been spent on anything. I personally think the price is completely reasonable for an oldie like DKC, and really, what value is a leader board and a higher resolution going to apply to such a game?

No, the difference is that you like the games enough that you're willing to accept shovelware, where I'd prefer a little effort go into re-releasing these games. I think they deserve more.

For a game like DKC you're right, online leaderboards aren't going to be terribly useful (although they would be cool...I'd like to see how fast some people made it through the game). Support for widescreen would be nice, though. Again, this is something that all XBLA games are required to support, even if it's only by adding a background image to pad out the 16:9 ratio.

To me, the majority of old games doesn't stand the test of time ... and even those which have gaming value shouldn't have such a currency value(I'm thinking SNES, NES and even N64), not if release in a state identical to their origin. In that respect games are yoyally unlike old classic movies... which are restored and comes packed with extra features anyway.

Plus, I can have a GameCube for 40€ and most of the games as preowned for less than 10€sowhat the hell.

Beside that, I'm not quite sure I want to pay for old games when I know most of it (if not all) will go to the editor/publisher and not to the creators.

Overall, I found quite intriguing to see Nintendo trying to get money from there while it could be a massive PR operation to make these games available for free; I'm sure it would bring lots people to the Wii.

I'm not necessarily buying games based on knowing I like them already. I never played Perfect Dark, but I'll probably get it for the virtual console if it's available as it'd be convenient to do so. I certainly wouldn't ever play it if I had to sort an N64, then get a hold of the game. There're a lot of older games I barely remember at all and would similarly like to revisit. I don't really give a flop if they come with online statistics and a fancy background image (I'd prefer black or an enlarged screen with the top/bottom slightly clipped — I hated those colourful backgrounds on the Super Game Boy).

'Shovelware' or not, I'm happy to pay for a good game based on its own merits. Just like if they re-released Grim Fandango with nothing changed but the ability to run on Windows Vista and support current graphics cards properly, I'd probably buy it in a snap.

Overall, I found quite intriguing to see Nintendo trying to get money from there while it could be a massive PR operation to make these games available for free; I'm sure it would bring lots people to the Wii.

It'd be cool if you got a free Super Mario game when you purchased, or finished, Super Mario Galaxy, or something.

I think there's definitely going to be some free Wii points to unlock with some games.

Yeah, and giving out promotional points if you participate with stuff... basically they could transfer the Star points system they now have online onto the Wii. That'd rock.

loonyboi:

For the amount of money they're charging? Yeah, I expect features like increased resolutions, online multiplayer, online leaderboards, etc.

IGN:

As previously announced, Virtual Console titles will be purchasable using Wii Points - available either online or in stores. In Europe, a 2000 Wii Points Card will set you back €20. Nintendo has revealed that NES games will retail for 500 Wii Points (approx. €5), SNES games for 800 points (approx. €8) and N64 gamse for 1000 points (approx. €10). Meanwhile, Mega Drive games will set you back 800 points and Turbografx games weigh in at 600 points. Nintendo has yet to reveal UK Sterling prices for Virtual Console titles.

Sounds pretty damn reasonable to me...

No, the difference is that you like the games enough that you're willing to accept shovelware, where I'd prefer a little effort go into re-releasing these games. I think they deserve more.

Shovelware? Some of these games are classics and should be remembered and enjoyed by new generations of gamers without some of these new "additions" that do nothing but detract from the original charm (I'm looking at you Konami, with your "enhanced" graphics). Shovelware is generally a derogatory term and doesn't apply to the likes of F-Zero or Super Mario 64 or Sonic the Hedgehog, whether you agree with the price or not. It's like calling 8 1/2 a B-Movie because you bought a DVD of it without special features. Sometimes the game/film should just be enjoyed on its own merits.

While I'm happy to pay for the games and honestly can't wait to try out some of the old SNES games that I missed out on, I gotta say that it would be really nice to have things like 480p and widescreen support. My TV happens to be a Samsung projection TV, which means that if a game or DVD isn't running in 480p or higher, there is a slight time delay between the image and the sound. In the case of games, there's even a slight delay between input on the controller and having that shown onscreen. As such, in order to play VC games properly without 480p, I'd have to hook my Wii up to an older TV. I've got one kicking around, so it's not too much of a hassle, (I use it for my GCN, N64 and PS2) but it's a hassle nonetheless.

While I'm happy to pay for the games and honestly can't wait to try out some of the old SNES games that I missed out on, I gotta say that it would be really nice to have things like 480p and widescreen support. My TV happens to be a Samsung projection TV, which means that if a game or DVD isn't running in 480p or higher, there is a slight time delay between the image and the sound. In the case of games, there's even a slight delay between input on the controller and having that shown onscreen. As such, in order to play VC games properly without 480p, I'd have to hook my Wii up to an older TV. I've got one kicking around, so it's not too much of a hassle, (I use it for my GCN, N64 and PS2) but it's a hassle nonetheless.

I'm sorry - while I don't really understand your tv - it sounds like a really stupid tv for gaming :getmecoat

I'm sorry - while I don't really understand your tv - it sounds like a really stupid tv for gaming :getmecoat

Yeah, it is. I got it because Samsung had never let me down before. Unfortunately, this problem seems to be exclusive to Samsung HDTVs. Any other brand has either much less of a delay or none at all. Word of warning to anyone considering buying one in the near future, check out the delay. I hate to say it, as I've got my hate on for them right now, but Sony actually has it worked out so that the TV will completely change the way it's operating when playing a game to eliminate the lag. I'm sure some other companies must have similar methods, so there you have it.