Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Idiots argue about next gen consoles

I drew these quotes from a thread on another forum, where a bunch of idiots were arguing over next gen consoles. Here are some actual, REAL quotes that were just too good to ignore.

I hope that nintendo gives up on making games forever. Their games are always too easy and they suck ass. What's even worse, Far Cry Wii looks like it's 10 years old because they didn't try to make the graphics like most companys do for console games.
'Not HD = Not For Me'
Xbox 360 isn't even next gen!'
'i dont really have too much against the wii but it just reaks of laziness'
'the overall Villagepeoplesh feeling Mario gives makes me prefer Sega'
'PS2 usually just have games that are copied onto all three systems, never any original games'
'I have no interest in Nintendo's wee.'
'Why would anyone buy the Wii it is basically a slightly better Gamecube'
'when did you ever see anyone except NINTENDO make a game for the gamecube other than a port.'
'However, the name Wii is dumb'
'ive been listening to Ign podcasts about the Wii so I'm not just ranting like Brabantio in Othello'
'it'll fade out soon after people realize they paid $200 to have their gamecube controller split into 2 pieces.'
'Wow another 35 euro and some friends of mine sadly due to medical reasons would not be able to use the [wii] controllers due to coordination issues, what about them?'

Here's an entire post which was pretty good:

Why would anyone buy the Wii it is basically a slightly better Gamecube but get this its 3 times the price only now you have to use two different controllers and they both cost 35 euros, now we all get a bit pissed off when we only have one controller and we want to play multiplayer but now with the wii if you want to play multiplayer (like the ad shows) you've got to go out and buy SIX more controllers (3 thumb chucks and 3 wi-motes) that will pump that 250 price up to 460, Yipee.Nothing says great than a severly outdated re-release of a failure of a console (when did you ever see anyone except NINTENDO make a game for the gamecube other than a port.)

And although the innovative motion sensing thumb chucks look i admit good in RED STEEl,

I know the first thing I would do is rip the wire in between by mistake ,wow another 35 euro and some friends of mine sadly due to medical reasons would not be able to use these controllers due to coordination issues , what about them?

If you want a console buy the 360 its cheaper than the ps3, is easier to program for and already has a head start (and if you want you can even make your own games for it since microsoft released the software suite to the public) although you could be smart and just get a computer.

I like this cross-section, very entertaining to see it all together :)

These days, though, I wonder if some of the posters on popular forums are being paid to say dumb, bad things about other consoles.

Nintendo has become a joke.

i think the Nintendo DS would have sold better if it had been called the Gameboy DS

I'll take whizzy graphics over weird remote stick thing anyday.

I think Nintendo has died as a console producer.

well the N64 should have been the Super Duper Nintendo, that would make the Gamecube the Super Super Duper Nintendo which means this one should be called the Super Uper Duper Nintendo, which would make the abbreviation sound like "sudden".

Duke Nukem Forever will suck. And I say that based on absolutely nothing.

The PS2's ability to stand both horizontally and vertically meant my console is still alive today.

A W followed by two I's? Sounds reminscent of the shorthand way of writing World War 2...

And didn't the Japanese lose that war? I seem to remember something about Truman pulling a switch or something. It's just all so hazy.

How can those marketing assholes have forgotten recent national history? I mean, aren't there still fallout effects in Nagasaki and Hiroshima?

The Wii will fail, Nintendo couldn't market a console in America or Europe if they had all the resources to do so.

Gamecube-all cartoony games with a limited market

Ds-What happened there?There star game metroid prime hunters not even released.

Wii-a combination of the two.

For those of you with a non-bulky exterior and accidentally ate your numchucks, Tekken 6 will provide a solid fighter!

I like this cross-section, very entertaining to see it all together :)

These days, though, I wonder if some of the posters on popular forums are being paid to say dumb, bad things about other consoles.

they probably just naturally congregate together and badmouth eath others' bosses for cash.

See, I was thinking along those lines too. Hopefully we can all put the viral marketers and clandestine PR types into one forum somewhere and have them bicker it out while we find other things more worthwhile to bitch about for free. Steam? Job Interviews? Kingz's beard?

'ive been listening to Ign podcasts about the Wii so I'm not just ranting like Brabantio in Othello'

ahahahahahahaha

I drew these quotes from a thread on another forum, where a bunch of idiots were arguing over next gen consoles.

Quite the collection of illiterate 'bum-tongues' you've found there, Yuf -- congrats! :clap:

Hopefully we can all put the viral marketers and clandestine PR types into one forum somewhere and have them bicker it out

Maybe once we've got them all herded into that room you speak of, we can then each take turns with the Idle Flamethrower? :gaming:

The sad thing is that that forum is (used to be?) generally intelligent. I really can't believe all the graphics-related comments, considering what kind of stuff that forum is for...

QFT

Oh shit. Sorry. For a second there I thought I was on GAF. :deranged:

OMG !!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

o-rly001.jpg_thumb.jpg

e3-2004-019_small.jpg

1157775914442.jpg

Believe.

/thread

Notice the spineless shit at The Age (who did the interview) neglected to ask Mr. Ephraim what he thought of his company's next-gen price point.

And besides; this is - typically - all out of context. Sony were comparing the PlayStation 2 to both Microsoft and Nintendo's latest offerings this winter, saying that the Sony machine is much better value. Which, arguably, it is*.

Idiots galore today, so it would seem...

* There's no way I'd buy one 1st-hand, though.

The sad thing is that that forum is (used to be?) generally intelligent. I really can't believe all the graphics-related comments, considering what kind of stuff that forum is for...

heh heh heh you know what forum I'm quoting from? yeah I agree... also, I only every check that forum now to be amused by stupidity... which is quite sad ;(

PS I'd just like to point out that Spaff doesn't like ANY of you as much as he likes me.

I forget where I saw it, but I did enjoy the comment the other week saying that the fanboy 'fact' that the PS3 was harder to program for than the 360 meant simply that developers couldn't be as "lazy" making PS3 games as they were for making 360 games.

I forget where I saw it, but I did enjoy the comment the other week saying that the fanboy 'fact' that the PS3 was harder to program for than the 360 meant simply that developers couldn't be as "lazy" making PS3 games as they were for making 360 games.

I hope they were well-paid for that little nugget...

Wait, does that mean we'll get Wii titles free in our breakfast cereal then?!! :broken:

Chex Quest kicked ass.

Hell yeah it did.

Doom engine + breakfast cereal == awesome.

Someone needs to do a Cap'n Crunch game using UE3.

Who in their right mind actually thinks Nintendo plans for the Wii to last into 2010? They develop hardware in an incrimental format, allowing for the best form and function for the least amount of money possible. Just because Microsoft and Sony are banking on their consoles lasting 4-5 years into the future, doesn't mean Nintendo is.

If anything, the Wii will end up being in the same category as the DS... an experiment in pushing the envelop of entertainment interfaces. The true successors to the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance are probably coming in the next couple years, to address the needs of those who prefer traditional gaming interfaces. These devices will be close to the performance of the Xbox 360 and the PSP, but at lower prices and greatly improved implementation. (ie. a GBA followup capable of true 3D gaming and high capacity media for games that won't suck a battery dry in under 2-3 hours.)

How is what i'm suggesting any different that GBA/DS? Wii games would still work on the newer console just as GBA does with DS. Will DS games work with a DS lite? Yes. I am not suggesting a brand new system every two years. Simply an upgraded and more polished and refined version of an existing console. Perhaps i made my mistake tying the upgrades to graphical increases. This was simply an example i used to illustrate my point that nintendo isn't tied to the same limitations as microsoft and sony when deciding to release a new console. Please remember that Nintendo has no less than 4 handhelds available right now that support GBA games. GBA SP,GB Micro,DS Phat, and DS Lite. They are the kings of interoperability.

Say in two years nintendo is able to reduce the size of the wii to half and make it completely wireless. They , not having to worry about waiting until the console becomes profitable, would theoretically be able to release the upgraded console after only two years.

My comment was simply to open peoples minds that when these sales figures are plotted out they don't take in to account that the wii is not limited to the same life span as the 360 and the PS3. One final example, if you had plotted the total DS sales over it's projected life span, I'm guessing it would have been quite a bit lower than it is projected to sell now with the "lite" upgrade. That is simply my opinion and agree with it or not I stand behind it.

Ok...here's the thing that I haven't heard anyone talking about in depth. Bones touched on it briefly. What determines the length of a consoles life span? Research and development time? Maybe. More often than not it is at the end of a console's life that it actually STARTS MAKING MONEY. It is not economically sound for them to rush a new one out before that. We all know this as we have heard it about a million times, what is interesting is how this applies to this generation. The wii is making money from day ONE. This gives them to incorporate new technology at a quicker pace. Look at the progression from GBA to GBA SP, GBA SP to DS, DS to DS lite....If they can keep interfunctionality between wii and any future models I believe this may fly in the console world.

Think of the business sense this makes. You have a consumer who buys a wii at launch. Two years down the road , you release a wii lite. Your early adopter who is satisfied with his purchase can easily start to think about upgrading to the hot new model. "After only 2 years?" you say? Because of the low inital price point of the wii, the customer is probably more accepting to upgrading after the shorter time, than he would be with a 500 dollar console. Imagine the next generation still supports the wii remote and nunchuck and simply beefs up the graphical power. Is it so absurd to think that in 2 years nintendo could release a system thats graphics rival those released this year...or last?

So look at this from the stand point from a new consumer 2 years down the road. They have the choice between a 3 year old system, a two year old system, or a brand new upgraded system. All having comparable graphical power, but only one having the unique control of the wii? Makes great business sense to me.

Apparently Nintendo doesn't intend the Wii to last until 2010.:fart:

Who in their right mind actually thinks Nintendo plans for the Wii to last into 2010?

Anyone who understands the modern day calendar' date=' and can be arsed to look back at every console generational cycle since the early 80's.

If anything, the Wii will end up being in the same category as the DS... an experiment in pushing the envelop of entertainment interfaces.

...because Lord knows Nintendo just love shovelling out redundant hardware to the tune of low-volume sales and mass failiure -- VirtuaBoy 2 ftw!

These devices will be close to the performance of the Xbox 360 and the PSP but at lower prices and greatly improved implementation. (ie. a GBA followup capable of true 3D gaming and high capacity media for games that won't suck a battery dry in under 2-3 hours.)

Excluding the worthless [arf] "high-capacity media" comment; is it just me, or is that a near-perfect description of Nintendo DS? Also, some basic economics: greatly improved != lower prices, unless you're talking about production effeciency, which you're not. You're just talking out your a-hole.

Will DS games work with a DS lite? Yes.

Tip: It's exactly the same hardware in either machine, albeit of a slightly smaller form-factor*.

* Use Wikipedia once in a while, ffs.

I am not suggesting a brand new system every two years. Simply an upgraded and more polished and refined version of an existing console.

Hang on--you said "greatly improved" just six sentences ago!!? Am comfooz'd and bwain is teh hurty... :erm:

PS: I'm sure you could've gotten another couple of and's in there if you'd tried harder.

Please remember that Nintendo has no less than 4 handhelds available right now that support GBA games. GBA SP,GB Micro,DS Phat, and DS Lite. They are the kings of interoperability.

...two of which are completely different to the other two, and two of which haven't been rolling off factory production lines since approx. March/April this year. So yeah, you're totally right!

Say in two years nintendo is able to reduce the size of the wii to half and make it completely wireless. They , not having to worry about waiting until the console becomes profitable, would theoretically be able to release the upgraded console after only two years.

...just because they can -- genius! Nintendo also want to piss off as many of the new customers they're trying to attract as possible, so this would be a perfect way to do it. Game off!

My comment was simply to open peoples minds that when these sales figures are plotted out they don't take in to account spaz's like me.

QFT.

One final example, if you had plotted the total DS sales over it's projected life span, I'm guessing it would have been quite a bit lower than it is projected to sell now with the "lite" upgrade. That is simply my opinion and agree with it or not I stand behind it.

Watch ou-! Urgh, too late - you trod in it. Brand new shoes on as well. Oh well, they were due for the bin anyway, being as they've been out the box for more than 37 minutes.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I can't even be bothered to shred the second block quote. Utterly stupefying that people are this, well... stupid.

I've always stayed faithful to the PlayStation. I'll be queuing in the UK when it finally goes out on sale. I wouldn't give a penny to Microsoft for their Xbox, if it's anything like their operating systems it most probably crashes every 10 seconds. Give me Sony any day.

1. It doesn't crash every ten seconds, well done for that completely uninformed comment, you look so clever now.

2. The only reason Windows crashes every ten seconds for you is because you clearly don't know how to use a PC. You probably download emoticon packs for MSN and free screensavers.

5. The reason the IGN screens look so bad is because of two reasons:

1) Nintendo has REALLY overdone high dynamic range lighting. Just because it's a new effect doesn't mean it should be used everywhere.

2)The Wii has the same critical limitations as Gamecube: not enough texture memory. To cut costs, Nintendo embedded all the Gamecube texture memory on the GPU die, rather than using external chips, limiting them to only 1MB of texture memory (much less than the PS2). Based on screenshots I've seen for all the Wii games, I'd assume the Wii has only 3-4MB of memory for textures on the die. Given how many budget GPUs have at least 64MB of memory, that is pretty damn cheap.

Also keep in mind that the Wii is architecturally very similar to Gamecube, and programmers already know very well how to use the hardware. I don't expect things to get much better, unless other developers find better ways to use blur and HDR to hide unwanted anomolies. When you have no texture memory and anti-aliasing, blur is your friend.

But, hey, graphics don't matter, which is why this thread exists, of course.

Nintendo wants to make a killing on this system as quickly as possible. My guess is at least $60 profit per system sold, plus license profits from the games. An extra $10 of hardware could've gone a LONG way to improving the graphics, but even 10 cents for an Ethernet port was too much money for Nintendo to tolerate.

*Foetoid: "It wont be long for all the people who own a wii60 or PSWii to notice significant differances in games"

Hey, didn't Nintendo say that gamers wouldn't notice a difference? Maybe they were talking about the difference between Gamecube and Wii.

*Foetoid: "It is one thing to say "graphics arent important", is it a totally different thing when you totally don't care about graphics in the slightest."

Exactly. Given Moore's Law and the current bar of technology that's available today, the Wii is actually a hell of a lot LESS powerful than Gamecube, despite the fact that it is the most expensive home console Nintendo has ever made. It should be at least 8 times more powerful at $250. I'd have preferred that the 360 and PS3 were less powerful so they ran cooler and cost less, but $250 for the Wii is simply outrageous.

Anyone who considers this acceptable knows nothing about manufacturing. Of course, that's why Nintendo is so eager to attract casual gamers.

I must give Nintendo credit, though... they know damn well how to make billions of dollars without a large investment.

*TheMikey: "You do know that this game is only using GameCube power to run right?"

Absolutely not. It's stupid to assume that just because the game is being simultaniously released on both systems. The GC and Wii vesions are distinct, and Nintendo isn't going to cheap out on probably their most important game over the next year. Game developers don't just make models and textures for the lowest-common-denominator unless they are really stupid. Most of the graphics in games these days is rendered down to specific polygon and memory budgets from high resolution models. Even when you are making a game for one target platform, you want to use scalable development practices to keep your options open.

Sorry, folks, but this really is the Wii in all its glory. Get used to it. People have told Nintendo outright that these graphics are fine, and you are getting exactly what you wanted.

And, no, I'm not a Nintendo hater. I'm not getting a 360 or PS3 anytime soon. I'm just appalled at how much money they are trying to save on hardware, given the terrific job they have done in the past. Even if Wii fails completely, they will still make a fortune on it.

Does anyone know if the texture memory thing is true? I tend to think that it's unlikely... but I know some people here have some actual experience with the unit.

I find it difficult to believe that it is the case, but this looks like a troll that knows his technobabble.

Screen shots here. http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748589/imgs_1.html

what!?

3-4MB texture memory? even the 3dfx voodoo had more

granted consoles don't have a slow pipe from cpu to gpu like PCs do.