ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I saw The Beach Bum, Harmony Korine's latest film, and it was... fine? Despite Korine's stated motive of making a movie about a lucky dude living a happy and blessed life, it's really not too different from his previous works that figure near-sociopathic burnouts leaving destruction in their wake. Want to see Matthew McConaughey as a stoned pervert without two brain cells to rub together, but seen every other movie where he plays that role? I mean, sure, maybe try out The Beach Bum, although I personally got more out of a couple of the cameos myself (Martin Lawrence and Zac Efron, especially).

On 23/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, TychoCelchuuu said:

Have I recommended Happy as Lazzaro (original title Lazzaro felice) yet? I think it's on Netflix in most cases. It's a very quiet movie so you'll have to be able to enjoy that sort of thing, but if you can, then go for it. It's stuck with me since I saw it months ago.

Oh yeah, it stuck with me as well. One of the best films I saw at the local festival a year ago. After seeing it, I also immediately went and got hold of as much of the director’s (Alice Rohrwacher) other movies as I could and enjoyed those as well: The Wonders and Corpo Celeste.

Has anyone seen Ms .45? I don't know, I kind of loved it, even though it's quite dark.

I watched The Lighthouse a few nights back and I don't know why I did as I didn't really like the director's last movie The Witch. Like everything about his last movie there is nothing bad exactly about it, it just lacks any kind of verve or purpose. It is about two men in a lighthouse and the tension between them. Given the performances and cinematography that should have been enough, but just felt like an empty experience.

It is unlikely I'll bother to watch another one of these, and depending on who you are you can take it as praise or criticism, it felt very Lynchian.

It’s been getting very high early ratings, so I was excited. But when you say it’s like The Witch, it reduces my enthusiasm. I thought The Witch was below average, even though some parts of it were quite memorable.

It is probably even more directionless than The Witch