The first two seasons of Digimon are genuinely a lot of fun. The whole battle for the world with Venommyotismon, and then in season two the Digimon Emperor, it's all really good. Would watch again if it was available in Dutch.

Is the Digimon movie on there? One of the three Japanese films it's stitched together from, Our War Game, is basically a prototype for Summer Wars, both by Mamoru Hosoda of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time fame. The visual design, major plot points and story elements, and super-flat animation style were all carried right over from one movie to the other. It's really cool to see.

Yes. I loved it when I first saw it, and then when I watched Summer Wars years later I went: "That's totally Digimon the Movie!!"

Summer Wars was fantastic.

That's all I have to say there. I never liked Digimon.

Summer Wars was fantastic.

That's all I have to say there. I never liked Digimon.

Summer Wars might be my favourite movie ever. Just sayin'.

I started watching Attack on Titan last night. The impressions already given in this thread line up pretty well with my experience. I'll keep watching, but it's nothing special. Neat concept that is unfortunately bogged down by typical shounen stuff, as is par for the course in anime. In other words: entertaining, but nothing worth writing home about.

Summer Wars might be my favourite movie ever. Just sayin'.

Have you seen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Children yet Tegan?

It a return to the small scale slower paced interpersonal stuff from Girl Who Leapt Through Time, rather than the high paced visually stunning narrative style Summer Wars and it's ensemble cast played with.

I'm not sure I prefer it necessarily, they set out to do very different things, but it's definitely strong enough to give a unreserved recommendation to.

Have you seen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Children yet Tegan?

It a return to the small scale slower paced interpersonal stuff from Girl Who Leapt Through Time, rather than the high paced visually stunning narrative style Summer Wars and it's ensemble cast played with.

I'm not sure I prefer it necessarily, they set out to do very different things, but it's definitely strong enough to give a unreserved recommendation to.

Yes! I just saw it this weekend at a children's film festival, along with A Letter to Momo. Both were the new generation of anime auteurs each doing their own My Neighbor Totoro, but Wolf Children won me over so completely with its restraint, sympathy, and beauty. After Summer Wars, I knew Mamoru Hosoda was a director to watch, but now I know his works will always be worth my time.

Yes! I just saw it this weekend at a children's film festival, along with A Letter to Momo. Both were the new generation of anime auteurs each doing their own My Neighbor Totoro, but Wolf Children won me over so completely with its restraint, sympathy, and beauty. After Summer Wars, I knew Mamoru Hosoda was a director to watch, but now I know his works will always be worth my time.

Think you put it perfectly when you praise it's "restraint", really feel like i need to see it again.

So I finished the first season of Digimon today. Maybe I'm just really tired, but... the final episode, where they finally leave the Digiworld and have to leave their Digimon behind... I was crying. It was so sad to me. So I had to go watch the first episode of the second season to remind myself they do meet up again later in life.

This is honestly the best part of rewatching Yu-Gi-Oh!, whether in full or abridged form. Duel Monsters seems to be a card game exclusively won by cheating, which is even more awesome when you realized that the anime at least was made to promote an actual card game with a fairly extensive set of rules. It's like everyone in the show is ten years old and derives their self-worth from winning at a children's card game, no matter how.

...yeah, I have to be honest, thats pretty much how card games got played among my friends. Not just the YuGiOh card game, but the Pokemon and Digimon card games as well. (I blame booster packs not coming with any semblance of rules included in them.) If you could give a reason that sounded even halfway plausible, it was okay. It wasn't until I got the Pokemon TCG game for Gameboy Color that I discovered Energy cards didnt get spent making your attacks more powerful...

FUNimation announced at Otakon yesterday that they've picked up Cowboy Bebop from Bandai for a 2014 Blu-ray release. I'm assuming it'll be an upscale, but maybe it'll be a good upscale. Exciting.

Hopefully it's the same as the one in the UK I've been eyeing, with the extra Ein short.

Maybe? FUNi's never been strong on extras. They're always about "HD on the minimum possible number of discs." The two Blu-rays that Spice & Wolf is crammed onto make me shudder sometimes. But hey, that's the past.

Ah, I might just end up importing it then. As far as I know the UK release is pretty much the new Japanese Blu-ray box set split in to two releases and translated from what I understand. I prefer to just buy these things domestically because importing makes my money sad.

Received my Kick Heart Blu-ray in the mail today and gave it a watch. It was way too short for me, clocking in at 12 minutes, but I guess they were initially only looking to raise $150k for the budget, which seems about right for a traditionall animated short, even if some parts had major corners cut. I had fun, it was a bit weird. Also the story was very strangely similar to Nacho Libre.

So I started watching Another last night; a sort of suspense thriller series. As of episode 5 (where the actual hook of the series finally becomes clear); I'm really, really liking it. Unfortunately just about everything is a spoiler sooooo...

So I started watching Another last night; a sort of suspense thriller series. As of episode 5 (where the actual hook of the series finally becomes clear); I'm really, really liking it. Unfortunately just about everything is a spoiler sooooo...

I ended up coming around pretty strong on my initial ambivalence over Another. I look forward to hearing how your opinion holds up through the ending. Rest assured, you've got plenty of twists and turns, some more successful than others.

I finished it! Finished it and liked it! A lot!

1) I really like that it stays internally consistent with the rules, even when you're not sure exactly what the rules are. Just about everything that seems confusing or out of place is eventually clarified.

2) I am so glad that they didn't draw out the initial hackeneyed red herring plot of

Mei being a ghost

for more than like two episodes.

3) the  last two episodes have a little bit too much of

kids running around in a burning building like it ain't no thang and way too many instances of characters being revealed by attacking another character from behind.

4) Mei's Rei Ayanami level of detachment sometimes got on my nerves. Like there are times when moving at walking speed just is not appropriate.

I really like that it stays internally consistent with the rules, even when you're not sure exactly what the rules are. Just about everything that seems confusing or out of place is eventually clarified.

This is pretty much the fight I mentioned in this thread a couple of pages ago, during which my friend got so frustrated she started crying. She thought that Another derived all its suspense from an incomplete knowledge of the rules for the curse, making the final revelation an inevitable letdown, while I thought it all made the curse something like a character, with its own arc and everything. I'm glad you liked it too, Tegan! I'm probably going to buy it once my funding check arrives at the end of August, if I can win the bet I seem to have made with myself to survive the month on a hundred bucks.

right ladies and gents I could do with some help, I've got a big chunk of work to do and it's leaving me too exhausted to think straight, and too stressed to deal with heavy subject matter.

So I need a nice simple, light, fun, high energy series (ideally with some humour) to mainline 3-4 episodes of at a time in the evening. Something available as a complete series, whether as a box set, a complete arc available on streaming, or fansubs if needs must, would be ideal.

The sort of thing I'm after: Cowboy Bebop, Railgun, Baccano, Gurren Lagann, Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, FLCL, Excel Saga

Side note: I'd normally not ask this, but anything with a decent English dub would be a bonus

I don't think I can help much... Maybe Panty & Stocking?

Thanks to Crunchyroll I'm starting to watch more anime and I've only watched two shows so far. Japanese Folktales, which are kid friendly and charming and... Oreimo...

I'm not sure why I watched it... it's about a brother and sister obsessed with erotic games and anime... who are in love with each other? I know I should be disgusted, but... it's so hilariously terri-bad! And of course, it's also a harem thingie...

Are those things still popular? And is it me or does every other anime have at least one otaku or mangaka? I started watching a show about Kaasan's Mom Life, it's kinda like Crayon Shinchan except the main character is the mom... and she's a mangaka?

I gotta say, I LOVE the Crunchyroll app, you can pause a show on the web broswer and the app will take over at the same spot! SORCERY! 

Oreimo...

I'm not sure why I watched it... it's about a brother and sister obsessed with erotic games and anime... who are in love with each other? I know I should be disgusted, but... it's so hilariously terri-bad! And of course, it's also a harem thingie...

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai has a lot of money on display. Stuff like that still counts in anime. But yeah, it's like Working!! in that the two main characters are totally toxic, but everyone else is great fun.

So I need a nice simple, light, fun, high energy series (ideally with some humour) to mainline 3-4 episodes of at a time in the evening.

Codicier, I feel terrible for not jumping on this when first I read it. Just looking on my shelf at what I thought worth buying, there are And Yet the Town Moves (no dub), Golden Boy (great dub), Last Exile (haven't-heard-it-so-don't-know-but-it's-Geneon-so-probably-quite-good dub), Lucky Star (decent dub), Oh! Edo Rocket (great dub), Ouran Host Club (great dub), and The Wallflower (great dub). I don't know if any of those are on Crunchyroll, sorry.

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai has a lot of money on display. Stuff like that still counts in anime. But yeah, it's like Working!! in that the two main characters are totally toxic, but everyone else is great fun.

Yeah, the rest of the cast was much more interesting than the main characters... Oh, and I think I watched season 2? It didn't have the first season for some reason, I'm pretty sure the first part is much better since the whole "I love my sister" isn't as obvious?

It didn't have the first season for some reason, I'm pretty sure the first part is much better since the whole "I love my sister" isn't as obvious?

Not really. He finds out about her in like the first episode, decides he wants some of that in the second, and spends the remaining ten just agonizing over it. There's a nice "alternate path" coda of four episodes where he falls in love with Kuroneko instead, but then the writing forces him to fall out of love in a really obvious and awkward way so he can keep drooling over his bratty little sister. I hear the second season is just miserable, but that's probably not going to stop me in the end.