Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Where do you all live? (Chris not invited to participate)

Okay, here's a thread where you can post pictures of the area you live, so other people can be jealous or laugh at you, whichever.

I live in Waterford. Waterford is crap. Dunmore East is just outside Waterford City, and is that place with the nice blue water.

passage-2.jpg

waterside.jpg

lawlors_m.jpg

And here is the most recent picture I could find of Waterford Quay;

waterford-old.jpg

It hasn't changed much, but it is a lot less brown. And you see that bridge? It's called Timbertoes Bridge. Golden Gate, eat your heart out! Unfortunately, the old, funky, wooden bridge was torn down and replaced with a massive suspension bridge, and the train station has been moved a little and a road has been built over it, and a massive roundabout and a highway, and things like that.

Here is a shopping guide, in case you ever want to go shopping here;

Click to activate your Shopping Guide!!!

That is where I live, or rather, just outside that area. Okay, your turn!

I wouldn't wanna post a picture of where my student accomodation is, because it's a hellhole. My parents' homes are here though: http://www.ccpentyrch.fsnet.co.uk/gwaelodcard.htm. It pretty much hasn't changed in the last 100 or so years except for the addition of a bunch of newer houses. The village and surrounding landscape still look much like those pictures.

Most of the time I live in Berkeley, and am a convenient metro ride away from the offices of Double Fine Productions.

Yes... I too live within public transit reach of Double Fine Productions ;)

I reside in Santa Cruz, California. Identified by the Daily Show as the city with the highest ratio per capita of white guys with dreadlocks.

pacific-ave1.jpg

Our downtown-type area.

402.jpg

A view toward Monterey Bay from the UCSC campus.

santa-cruz-11.3.jpg

The Boardwalk

441.jpg

My work area (Note that crappy chair has since been replaced by non-crappy leather chair)

Well, I'm not going to tell you to feck off since you have good taste in Futuramas. That second picture is awe inspiring. Amazing.

Wow.

Are those Pratchett books on the top shelf of the right-hand bookshelf?

Heh... indeed they are. About a 50/50 mix between the UK Corgi printings and the US HarperCollins/HarperPrism printings.

And Yufster: thanks, I took the second picture :)

galveston.jpg

Galveston. Just a small slice, actually... I may yet get out with my camera later and take some more pictures...

chicago_skyline.jpg

Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.!

Home of The Bulls and The Cubs (Wrigley Field)

World's second tallest building (Sears Tower)

Best deep dish pizza in the world (Uno's, Gino's East)

Mies van der Rohe's adopted city (it was a lot safer than Germany then)

Largest impressionist painting collection outside Europe (The Art Institute)

Ivy League education (University of Chicago, Northwestern University)

Great tech schools (Illinois Institute of Technology, DeVry Institute)

Finest architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright, van der Rohe, Louis Sullivan, Helmut Jahn, Rem Koolhas, Frank Gehry)

World's greatest symphony (Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

The Trep lives here (Uptown)

Pfft... Frank Gehry is everywhere. He even designed the administration building at Disneyland. At the rate that man's architecture spreads, it's entirely possible that my bathroom was designed by Frank Gehry.

well mine seems boring compared to all this - but this is my actual road...

162W0048.111.JPG

I'm glad you like it ... because I never noticed it before .. well now I kind of like it also ... not so sure about if it really is sexy.....

Hmmm. You all live next to oceans, or at least, really big lakes. Except hermes. And me. What does that mean? Personally, I live near a major road, a nuclear research place and a big old electricity substation. And a big mysterious tower, except that's being demolished now, because apparently we don't care what the Irish are up to any more. No pictures I'm afraid, but just imagine a big electricity substation and a big road and a big nuclear place with loads of mad "nuclear police" everywhere and you're just about there!

Heh... not only do I live by the ocean, but Santa Cruz has the third cleanest air of any city in the US.

Yeah, ha ha, you two suck. We live next to oceans because we're cooler than you.

Yeah, ha ha, you two suck. We live next to oceans because we're cooler than you.

On second thought, you live next to the Irish Sea, don't you? Not much of an ocean. More of a sea. A really narrow sea with daily high-speed ferries across it and stuff. That big lake near Chicago, which I can't remember the name of but you saw in Due South every week, usually all frozen over and manky-looking, is probably bigger than the Irish Sea, just less open-ended. Ha ha, you suck too!

Huz,

The answer you seek is in her mouth.

Lots of love,

Yufster.

...I live near a major road, a nuclear research place and a big old electricity substation. And a big mysterious tower, except that's being demolished now, because apparently we don't care what the Irish are up to any more. No pictures I'm afraid, but just imagine a big electricity substation and a big road and a big nuclear place with loads of mad "nuclear police" everywhere and you're just about there!

Sounds like Black Mesa to me.

That big lake near Chicago, which I can't remember the name of....

Lake Michigan. And Chicago is right on it, not near it. In fact, the water and park are just a ten minute walk from my building.

I live in Ohio, it's all flat and stuff. The biggest attraction is our man man sledding hill. Yippee. I don't mind it though. Low crime, low pollution. Good times.

C'mon, folks! I live in the true middle of nowhere. Proof:

andra_sidan.jpg

(That is the house of the ruler of this fiefdom. Count Dracula.)

pernavy1.jpg

(My backyard.)

Stenigskog.jpg

(My front yard.)

I live in Apeldoorn, which is the 7th biggest city in the Netherlands with a population of 155000 (I already hear some Americans laugh at that number). Apeldoorn's area covers 314 km². We're surrounded by woods, which is quite nice. Apeldoorn is known in the Netherlands for it's Royal Palace (Het Loo). (We're also known because of some silly commercials from a big insurance company headquartered here).

adoorn-skyline01.gif

Apeldoorn from the sky.

adoorn-palace02.gif

Palace 'Het Loo', one of the palaces of the Dutch royal family. It's a museum now. It's located near the woods where the family used to hunt deer.

adoorn-cafe03.gif

A cafe in the centre of the city.

adoorn-cityhall04.gif

The former city hall.

adoorn-woods05.gif

The woods.

adoorn-monument06.gif

Apeldoorn was liberated by the Canadians during WW2. This is a monument. An exact copy of this monument is located in Ottowa, Canada. Canadian war veterans used to travel to the Netherlands to participate in a parade in Apeldoorn on Liberty day every year. The last parade was held two years ago. Most veterans have passed away now or are unable to visit anymore.

--Erwin

Seriously - Denmark=sea.... not the pacific ocean though - but sea none the less... Maybe 15 min on bike from my home I can take a swim....

Haarlem Double-A!!

Let me be your virtual tourguide using pictures lazily taken from Google. Ysbreker lives here too, by the way.

"Haarlem (population 150,000) is a city in the west of the Netherlands, capital of the North Holland province. The city is located at the river Spaarne, close to the North Sea."

"In 1658 Dutchman Peter Stuyvesant founded the city Nieuw Haarlem ('New Haarlem') at the eastside of North America. Later this was to give its name to the Harlem neighborhood in New York City, United States."

haarlem.jpg

This is not a mosque (like one train passenger once wondered). It's actually a prison called The Dome.

hrlm_station2-01.jpg

Haarlem has the most awesome train station ever. It's often used in movies. It will feature in the upcoming Ocean's Twelve, though it will probably double for the less awesome Amsterdam station.

hlm-07-2002-012.jpg

hlm-08-2002-027.jpg

hlm-08-2002-031.jpg

Haarlem Station has a sort of Rubacava thing going on. I love it.

haarlem4.jpg

A big church conveniently named The Big Church.

haarlem3.jpg

The main square, aka The Big Market.

By the way, the main shopping street that connects to this is called De Grote Houtstraat (The Big Woodstreet). I guess my forefathers liked the word Big.

locati8.jpgentreekleinezaal.jpgtekening3.jpgintrkassa.jpg

The Toneelschuur, the theatre / alternative movies place. Their new building was designed by a cartoonist, and it's a reaaaally cool design. I could be in that building forever. The colors, the textures, the light ... it's all extremely awesome.

Haarlem is also close to the Hekslootpolder, a tiny nature reserve near where I live:

HSP08.jpg

The city is in the background. Yes, it actually can look this pretty over there. The place is also full of birds (some rare ones too) and fish and foxes and whatever. It's like a whole wildlife reserve is crammed into a tiny piece of land.

normal_DSC00108.jpg

normal_DSC00183.jpg

Haarlem is also quite near the beach, where awesome free parties were held in the summer every year. Except now it's been reamed by commercial interests, and it probably won't be the same now. GRRRR.

This ends the tour. Don't forget your guide on the way out.