AndyB

Game Boy Micro? Why?

Does anyone else here think that Nintendo is making a wrong move by releasing the GameBoy Micro, which is a smaller (kind of) GBA? I just can't see who it is aimed at and why they think it will have a place in the market.

The same people who bought a GBA SP. It's a very capable handheld game system that, unlike the DS (and even unlike the SP), can comfortably disappear into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. Also, don't forget that Japan exists.

Also, if you saw it in person, you would drop that "(kind of)" from your sentence. It is significantly smaller.

Yeah I also thought that the GBA micro is not a very smart decision. Also, I am confused, doesn't the DS play all GBA games? Why would you want a DS and a GBA micro?

erm because some people dont have a DS?

I've pre ordered a GBA micro and i wont buy a DS until they revise it and make it less huge and ugly, its a portable system and unless you have a bag its actually impossible to carry a psp or ds around with you.

GBA smaller than my mobile phone and twice as awesome?

give me.

some people around here love playing gameboy games and those people are me, andthose same people (again, me) are looking forward to an even smaller GBA. win.

now i shall never be without my games :)

2 weeks!!

I have to agree with Spaff. As much joy as I get from DS, it is large and ugly and down the front of my trousers? Not even I could pass that off as 'pleased to meet you'.

Does anyone else here think that Nintendo is making a wrong move by releasing the GameBoy Micro, which is a smaller (kind of) GBA? I just can't see who it is aimed at and why they think it will have a place in the market.

At this point, the cost to develop it is minimal, so it's not like this is a huge investment by Nintendo. And since it is cheap to make, it is also more profitable to sell AND it extends the timeline brand.

People bought iPod Minis, even though the cost/GB ratio was not in its favour when compared to the actual product.

To me the DS obsoletes the GBA (UNLESS you already have a GBA), so for people to just go and buy another GBA just for its size, knowing that there is a much better portable device that can play both GBA and the ultra fun DS games sounds a little simple.

Plus from when was a smaller screen a good thing in games? This is not an ipod or cell phone where you don't need to LOOK at the thing. I just think the whole idea of a smaller screen is stupid.

Is it cheaper than the DS ?

And mmm, isn't it too small to be enjoyable? :innocent:

bonus fact - the ds cannot be used to llinkup to the gamecube without witchcraft the likes of which i am unaware....

also the smaller screen makes the games look like they are in higher res... ¬¬

Frankly I love the idea of a portable console that is actually portable, like mentioned before, the DS barely fits your pocket and I'm guessing the PSP simply won't fit since it's slightly bigger...

Considering how many people bought the iPod due to it's size and everything, I'm sure some people will take a look at the DS and PSP, and think they are big and ugly and take home the Game Boy Micro instead...

I know I'm getting one! :yep:

The GBM is designed for us folks who don't bother wearing pants at all! it just fits perfectly inside my tightey-whiteys™. :mock:

I want one. I never really wanted a game boy, but this one looks too damn cute to pass up (even though there's exactly ZERO games I want to play on gba).

It's like Mac Mini thing...

I must have fucking HUGE pockets. I keep my DS, keys, and cell phone in the same pocket with no problems. I can also cram a PSP into my pocket with little difficulty (in it's case no less, something that pretty should not go unprotected). Sure, you can see a bit of a square outline there, but it's really no worse than a wallet. Also, if need be, I have a snazzy leather case that hooks onto a belt loop that's great for the DS if I don't want it in my pants. I have never had a problem with the portability of any of the systems on the market.

Also, Jake, why are you taking a shot at the people who bought the SP? I have an SP, but never had a standard GBA. When it came time to buy, I went with the smaller/brighter choice. What's wrong with that?

I'm taking a shot at people who bought an SP? I don't remember doing that. I own an SP, and its one of the best console purchases I've ever made. The micro is pretty clearly aimed at gadget or gameboy nuts or people who don't already own an SP, but pretty much the same audience as the SP I think. I just said the SP doesn't comfortably fit in your pocket, and it doesn't... unless you're wearing cargo pants or something like that. The micro is small enough to just slip in there.

Erm the Micro is a perfectly fine move. For some people nothing beats being able to take that thing anywhere, all the time. You can put it in the pockets of your jeans if you want to, no coat required.

Also, it's perfect for kids. A collegue of mine once asked to recommend a system for a 4 year old (I think) and I just couldn't recommend a DS or, heaven forbid, a PSP. I told her to get an SP, and today I might have told her to wait for the Micro.

The DS plays GBA games, true, but it's not nearly as portable as the Micro. The two are different enough to make sense.

A possible future GBA2 would confuse the fuck out of me though. At least, if it's anything more than just a screen resolution and memory upgrade or something.

presumably it would have a better set of specs than the DS and have to compete with the psp, a GBA2 would need to the Gamecube what the PSP is to the PS2...

Except I'm not sure if that would be the right way to go. Well, maybe in 5 years or something. But as awesome as the PSP is in its capabilities, it's also severely handicapped by them in terms of price, battery life, etc. A really expensive and energy-draining GB with GameCube-like power would make no sense given Nintendo's target audience. It would also make the games for that platform significantly more expensive to make, while one of the reasons devs like the GBA is that you can have a good-selling product with minimal dev costs.

This is all just stupid speculation of course.

I never had a GBA and Im getting a Micro, and so is most people here, so it doesn't look like Nintendo made a bad move. I don't think it is a fanboy console at all, nor a mere gimmick, the thing seems to work great (at least that is what previews have been saying)

I was considering The Minish Cap for it, but I would appreciate some game recommendations. :tup:

About the future of the Nintendo handhelds. Here's my prediction:

First off, I don't think there will be a sequel to the DS. Infact, I don't even think there'll be another system that'll play DS games. Ie: I don't see any of that backwards compatibility stuff that happens on the Gameboy happening with the DS ... it's just way to weird a system! :)

I think the GBA2 will take the best of both the GBA and the DS. It'll definitly have great 3D graphics because that's what the market expects, but still have a solid 2D system too. I think Nintendo will (correctly) stick to their guns and make it cartridge based ... by the time it gets made, 512meg cartridges would probably be practical in terms of cost and size.

I think it'll also have a touch screen. Of all the things on the DS, the touch screen is definitly it's strongest feature, so taking that, and combining it with a traditional GB makes sense.

That's my prediction anyway ... a GBA with 3D gfx and a touch screen. I look forward to having people bump this and laugh at me when the Game Boy Touch! GBA2 specs get released.

SiN

* Metroid Prime Hunters use of the bottom screen as a map as well as - effectively - a mousepad, and using the top screen to display the game so you arent obscuring your aiming with your thumb or stylus, but can still glance down at the 2nd screen for a realtime map (again without obscuring the main game) is probably the best use I've seen.

* new super mario bros again has the main gameplay on the top screen, and uses the touch screen for quick sloppy thumb-based inventory item retrieval while continuing to play. obviously not as extreme as prime, but it was pretty welcome considering how sparse pixel real estate is on the DS screens.

What do all of you DS owners think the best uses of the 2nd screen have been, and do you think any of them totally justify the 2nd screen's inclusion?

I think the best way to describe the second screen is "nice, but not necessary". Jake mentions Metroid, which is pretty much the only game I can come up with myself. The other games don't really NEED the second screen like the need the touch screen ... apart from Metroid, of the games I have (WarioWare, Meteos, Yoshi) all have put the 2nd screen to pretty good use, but could easily be redesigned to use only one screen. On the other hand, none of those games would work without a touch screen. (except WarioWare I guess).

I think one bigger screen would be far more useful than 2 smaller ones. Which is another thing I see happening with the next-gen GB.

SiN