Aussie Ben

Goddammit, I'm going to talk about Quackshot

Damn, I love this game. The music, the graphics, the gameplay, the fact that you get to play as Donald Duck with a Plunger Gun and you could eat chillies to trigger his temper where he'd go completely nuts and do his patented Donald temper tantrum at anything in his path.

Utter bliss.

For the uninitiated, it was a pseudo-sequel to "Castle of Illusion" (also an awesome game) - both of these came out on the Mega Drive. World of Illusion was the third game in the series, and starred both characters. You played as Donald, flying around the world on the hunt for treasure with Hewey, Dewey and Louie flying the plane (wait what?!). Pete and his army of Pete Clones also get wind of Donald's treasure-hunting antics and decide to follow him to nab the treasure for themselves.

Donald was armed with the aforementioned Plunger Gun, which could be used to stun enemies, initially. Later on it could also be upgraded to be used as a springboard when you shot it at walls, and even later, you could shoot it at enemies and grab onto the plunger to fly over holes and such. Donald also had a Popcorn Gun at his disposal, and later earned an Exploding Bubble Gum Gun from Gyro Gearloose.

The game didn't have set levels to progress through - instead, there were a few areas you could access via plane, and as you explored them, you earned items (such as an Aztec Key that would allow you into a temple) that would let you progress further inside these levels. Later on you'd discover another map that would expand the places you could travel to, as well. There was also a smattering of bosses - not too many, I don't think - as you proceeded through the levels. It begged for battery or password save, but it wasn't too difficult to get back to where you were anyway.

Definitely a great game - this was pure platforming bliss. Not too hard, not too long, but thoroughly enjoyable all the way. Play it if you get the chance. As mentioned above, the music is awesome too - particularly the Duckburg and Transylvania music.

Oh yes, and something creepy that was pointed out to me - why is it that the item that fully restores Donald's health is a ROAST CHICKEN?

I almost bought a copy of this game yesterday... Loved the Indianan jones inspired 'leap of faith' area at the end of the game.

By far the best Disney game, close second is Donald Duck's lucky Dime Caper, which was setup in the same way but with a mallet.

Considering that soon I should have a Mega Drive/Genesis and a Master System, I'll try to get my hand on these...

I remember playing the Lucky Dime Caper at my cousins house when I was a kid... :yep:

Hmm, that reminds me, has anyone played Maui Mallard? Is it any good? :erm:

YES. Music is awesome, and the game is pretty damn cool too. It's no Quackshot, mind, but it's still pretty cool.

And Lucky Dime Caper! I'd totally forgotten about that game, I've always meant to play it. I'm going to search...for a totally legitimate copy....right now!

Oh shit Dingo, I edited your post intead of quoting it!!!!! Fuck ;( My mistake.

Uhh you said good things about various Disney games, including that Mickey Mania was great. Please forgive me :frown:

--steve

Kingdom Hearts is good, but it's no match to the classic games. And it's good because Square is a good company.

Except for all the final fantasy crap they do, which is pretty much everything by them.

All I remember about Quackshot was when I went to my friends house and when I saw it at his house, he said it sucked. I'm not doubting that it was a good game, I enjoyed a few of the disney platformers that were around back then, I just think it's funny that the only experience with the game is someone telling me that it sucks. I also had a friend who said that Ico sucked (don't worry, I bought the game and love it)

The reason they might have thought it sucked is because the game can be extremely unforgiving at times. Imagine the Dr Robotnik boss level where you chase him through the sunken temple. There are loads of levels like that in Quackshot.

I reckon the last really good disney game was 'The lion King' on the 16 bit machines. A little easier than some of the earlier stuff, but still pretty solid.

Cracked that open, Ecco the Dolphin, and Earth worm Jim today to relive some of the moments. Tomorrow I'm going to plow through Alien 3, Atomic Runner and Alicia Dragoon.

I reckon the last really good disney game was 'The lion King' on the 16 bit machines. A little easier than some of the earlier stuff, but still pretty solid.

I could never beat the 2nd level where you ride the ostrich.

Really?!?

Yeah it was a little challenging, but with a little perserverance it was pretty easy to get the patterns down...

Another great one is Mickey Mania especially Mickey Mania CD. Still as wonderful as it was when released.

Of note: Mickey Mania was God of War director David Jaffe's first game.

Also the NES Ducktales game, starring Scrooge McDuck and featuring the myriad uses of his cane, was platforming gold back in the day.

As far as the "last great Disney game," wasn't Aladdin on the SNES supposed to be really good?

Nonono, that was Aladdin for the Mega Drive. The Shiny-made one. Awesome game.

Castle of Illusion was a joy to play, because it was completable by ANYONE. There were easy, normal, and hard difficulty levels, and you'd get a different ending depending on which one you played, not to mention more levels if you went for the harder ones. When I was younger, I loved that even though it was really hard, I could still see the "end" of the game if I played the easy mode.

I remember the SNES version of Mickey Mania, which was fabulous, too. All the levels were based on famous cartoons in Mickey's career, from Steamboat Willie (in black and white) to The Prince and the Pauper. I remember that Moose Hunt level being incredibly difficult, but a helluva lot of fun.

Ducktales and Ducktales 2 were brilliant games, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of them. I've still got Ducktales 2 for Game Boy at home. I also liked that they made a Darkwing Duck game, and at the start of every level, he would do his dramatic pose and shout out "I AM DARKWING DUCK", like the drama queen he is in the show.

Duck tales and Darkwing Duck on the Gameboy...

I really want to play those.

Didn't rate Alladin on either platform to be honest.

But Jungle book was kick ass!

Banana boomerangs anyone?

This time it was the SNES one which was better than the megadrive version.

And the graphics were superb. The saturated foreground, desaturated back ground thing was taken to another level with the Junglebook movie, and the arcade game built on that artwork.

yep, when disney platformers went 3D they lost their magic - just like the 3D movies are gonna! not completely serious, but just sticking up for my avatar here.

Oh shit Dingo, I edited your post intead of quoting it!!!!! Fuck ;( My mistake.

Uhh you said good things about various Disney games, including that Mickey Mania was great. Please forgive me :frown:

--steve

I'm consfused, but as long as it wasn't on purpose you're forgiven. -Imagine a confused smile smiley was inserted here-

So this is what I wrote in short:

Quackshot - Don't recall playing it, but I wish I had (maybe I did and can't remember).

World of Illusion - Outstanding game, beautiful music and atmosphere. One of my favorite MegaDrive games.

Mickey Mania (especially CD)- One of my favorite games on the MegaDrive/MegaCD/SNES (being one of the best on the SNES is a privilege, mind you), just terrific.

Kingdom Hearts - Good but because of Square.

What I wrote about Disney in short: Disney only cares about money these days which is also the way the gaming industry is these days. According to Roy Disney "Disney's saved", but I'll wait and see about that. (The original version was better.)

Added stuff

Aladdin - Great game, maybe my brother's favorite MegaDrive/SNES game.

Lion King - It was nice, but it didn't quite do it for me (plus I was never able to beat Scar).

I remember the Aladdin on GameGear was more true to the film and was either incredibly easy or incredibly hard. Either way it was nice.

Ok.... I'm gonna ask a stupid question, and if I'm wrong I'm going to be mocked without mercy.

What the hell is a mega drive? It is the Sega?

You silly Americans called it Sega Genesis.

I had that... the cd drive, and i was dumb enough to buy the 32X.

Lunar and Lunar 2 were my favs.

Yeah, same here with the 32X. My brother bought it though, but it wasn't his money so it hurts.

My favorites were all the Sonic's, World of Illusion, Mickey Mania, Super Street Fighter, Mean Bean Machine, and Chuck Rock.

Maybe I'm forgetting something though, I usually do when I name favorite things.

Lion King - It was nice, but it didn't quite do it for me (plus I was never able to beat Scar).

Just completed yesterday, with Scar the best way to get it so that he is so wounded he starts licking himself (sounds dirty but I assure you it is innocent), is to angle your jump attacks to diagonally hit him at his eye level so that instead of just hitting him once you do a pummeling move that really hurts him.

Then when he is in that state you need to get him to the far left so that you are standing between him and the edge of the screen, then perform a throw on him to send him over the edge. that scene is completable in about three minutes.

Going to aim to complete Mickey Mania in the next couple of days (graphically it hasn't really dated in the last decade)

I guess I'm the only one who recalls liking Hercules. It had such gorgeous graphics for the time.

Quackshot was absolutely awesome. :tup:

Castle of Illusion though... hrmm. I absolutely adored the Master System version, but I thought the Mega Drive version was nowhere near as fun. I seem to remember being blown away at how much better the visuals and sound were initially, but there was something not quite right about the gameplay mechanics and the level design.