Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Banned Resident Evil promo poster

I'm doing this as a last resort, because I hate posting on forums for this kind of stuff, but has anyone seen a site showing the original 'car-crash' advert for the first Resident Evil game?

I've just read a short article in MCV about shock advertising and they showed a miniscule pic of a top down shot of a bath with blood in it, some splattered across the white tiles below the bath.

I'm not even a fan of the Resi games but that image was so stark, that I think I would have bought the game on release, and then a copy of the poster after returning the game.

really wanted to find a bigger version of the picture to print out on A3 as a poster home, if anyone can help me, I will be eternally grateful.

I'm doing this as a last resort, because I hate posting on forums for this kind of stuff, but has anyone seen a site showing the original 'car-crash' advert for the first Resident Evil game?

I've just read a short article in MCV about shock advertising and they showed a miniscule pic of a top down shot of a bath with blood in it, some splattered across the white tiles below the bath.

I'm not even a fan of the Resi games but that image was so stark, that I think I would have bought the game on release, and then a copy of the poster after returning the game.

really wanted to find a bigger version of the picture to print out on A3 as a poster home, if anyone can help me, I will be eternally grateful.

:shifty::teddy:;):neiiin::naughty::nodance::cens0red:

Okay... Have I commited some kind of faux pas, or am I just being mocked?

he/she did especially join just to post all those smilies just for you, though. :ratched:

That's something at least.

I've been trying to find someone who even knows about this poster, I went as far as going on a Resident evil fan club and asked them; a couple of them had claimed to have seen it, but offered no links, then the thread dissolved into a 'I'm a more hardcore fan of resident evil than you' debate.

Googling anything resident evil related brings up pictures of milla Jovovich (not complaining, just not what I'm looking for) and banned posters has brought zilch so far.

If it had been as simple as going on Ebay or Amazon and buying it, I would have done... I just cannot find it.

So any help? Or am I simply going to be reprimanded/laughed at? Don't mind really, just want to get in to the spirit of things and stop being as earnest about the whole malarkey.

All you've done is make me curious towards that poster as well, so now you've spread the damn virus.

Can you show us a scan of the article that made you want to have the poster in question?

I had the 30 foot campaign poster when I used to be a buyer for HMV when it originally came out. However it was returned/destroyed after complains were upheld and all images of that promotion had to be taken down. I think you will find it hard to get hold of now. The bathtub shot was pretty stark as pointed out though. not too sure you'd still want it when you see it in the full size flesh, so to speak.

Don't have a scanner... Wait I might be able to get a shot of it with someone's camera phone. Someone's in the toilet at the moment...

Image329.jpg

Hopefully this has worked, should be a blurry version of it.

Really disturbing, but if ever you could call advertising art. Then this would be one of the forerunners, if only because it provoked such strong reactions in the public that it was banned when the game itself provoked little (if any) controversy.

That image hits me harder than anything I've seen by Tracy Amin.

Yeah I remember that. If memory suits me right I still have that at home, at my parents place. I believe that was in Man!ac a long time ago. A two page ad if I remember correctly. But I could be wrong and I probably am. AND I am probably NOT going to dive through twelve years worth of gaming mags to find it.

Really disturbing, but if ever you could call advertising art. Then this would be one of the forerunners, if only because it provoked such strong reactions in the public that it was banned when the game itself provoked little (if any) controversy.

Yeah, but is the game any good? Does it match the psychological impact of the advertising art?

That poster is excellent. I wish you luck, sir. Let us know if you find it.

Yeah, but is the game any good? Does it match the psychological impact of the advertising art?

I didn't rate the game all that much, I played it on the Saturn for about two or three days and got bored...

The point I was trying to make is that as an advert it didn't really sell the game all that well, and the cultural impact of the poster has been nil (or else I would've been able to track down a scan of it at least). But as a visceral piece of photagraphy, in my mind anyway, it transcends it's original purpose.

I don't want it as a piece of nostalgia. I just haven't been able to draw my attention away from it and think is just a brilliantly visceral image.

Incidentally I reckon the new resident evil film should dispense with the obligatory rehash of the foirst two film's plots and just show that image in the cinema for an hour and a half with a heart beat soundtrack and the director would be lauded as the new art house genius.

Incidentally I reckon the new resident evil film should dispense with the obligatory rehash of the foirst two film's plots and just show that image in the cinema for an hour and a half with a heart beat soundtrack and the director would be lauded as the new art house genius.

:grin: Conceptually that has already been done at least once:

The film begins with a totally white screen and as the sun sets, the image of the Empire State Building emerges. The floodlights on its exterior come on, the building's lights flicker on and off for the next 6 1/2 hours, then the floodlights go off again in the next to the last reel so that the "remainder of the film takes place in nearly total darkness."

Empire, film by Andy Warhol, 1964

Yeah I've seen reviews of that before (I think I might have seen some of it when I was drunk but can't confirm for sure).

Like the fact you got the reference :)