Moosferatu

Random Psychonauts Tidbits (possible spoilers)

So as to not further polute the Psychonatus hate thread here's a new one for whatever Psychonauts randomness you'd like to mention. If it's a spoiler it'd be awesome if you used spoiler tags, and possible said what part of the game you're referring to before (I haven't finished it yet. I'm through most of it, but don't want the end spoiled.).

Sasha's mind:

I just finished Edgar's mind and decided to go back and clean up any of the little bits that I had missed in the previous minds before moving on. I went to Sasha's and got the second pig that I had missed the first time. I believe it's called "Sasha's Second Sight", or something like that. I didn't quite catch why he left his father. Was it implying in that last panel of him reading his dad's mind that he saw his mother nude? If so, why would that make him leave? Or was it another woman who wasn't his mother?

Camp fun:

Make sure to show the red button you get from Sasha to everyone, especially Crystal and Dogan (Show it to him and the girl he's talking to three times. Good fun.). Also, read the bulletin board after every event multiple times. If you look at the symbols above the cabin doors you'll see that there's a guys cabin, a girls cabin, and apparently a co-ed cabin. That's some summer camp... I'm sure there's a bunch of other cool stuff, but that's all that comes to mind right now. Anyone else got anything cool?

clairvoyance:

Oh man, this one is awesome. I love how they took the time to make you look different to every person. Probably my favorite one so far is how Jasper sees you -- one and a half stars.

About Sasha:

I thought he saw his mother um from the point of view his dad was looking at her... in bed. I though it explained why sasha's mind is so compacted and organized... he doesn't want people to see his random thoughts, just like when he tried to read his father's mind?

As for clairvoyance:

I like Sheegor the best.

As for clairvoyance:

I like Sheegor the best.

That was a classic. I'm kicking myself for not doing it to everyone from the moment I got the power.

About Sasha:

I thought he saw his mother um from the point of view his dad was looking at her... in bed. I though it explained why sasha's mind is so compacted and organized... he doesn't want people to see his random thoughts, just like when he tried to read his father's mind?

But why would that make him leave his father?

on Sasha's Second Sight

I sort of assumed that what he saw just sort of confused him and disturbed him on a few levels so, feeling uncomfortable for somewhat inadvertantly invading his dads mind (and on top of that seeing the images he saw while there), he left home. I don't think the particular thing he saw was supposed to be a specific shocking revelation, but the fact that the whole thing happened at all is what made him leave.

also i apparently dont know how to think, type, or use spoiler tags.

Boyd's mind:

I never got what that demon like thing that pulls you through the ground twice was supposed to represent. Anyone know?

Boyd's mind:

I never got what that demon like thing that pulls you through the ground twice was supposed to represent. Anyone know?

Nightmares. I believe you can talk to Ford about it.

Nightmares. I believe you can talk to Ford about it.

Wait, how can you talk to Ford about stuff like that? Do you have to use the bacon? I never have because I figured it was always just the same old stuff.

On Boyd's mind & Ford

Yeah, when you use the bacon, you can ask Ford about various enemies in the game. This includes anything from bosses down to lesser creatures, like the Censors. Most of the tidbits are good fun.

As for the "nightmare" fire demon thing, I always assumed it was just another representation of Boyd's destructive desires. If you watch the two memory reels, one of them shows you him burning down his previous job for firing him, and another shows you Coach Oleander hyponotizing him with milk and cookies, thus giving rise to the Milkman and the Girl Scouts in his mind. I think the Milkman is just that fire demon channeled into a different, more contained form. But the actual demon is still lurking around withim him, because it was there before Oleander intervened.

You might have noticed that the demon thing in Boyd's mind is really similar visually to the burnt orphans in the toychest in that room in the back corner of Milla's mind... so I think it's just the Psychonauts representation of nightmares.

Also, calling up Ford with the bacon is extremely helpful if you're ever stuck - Ford is basically the game's in-game hint system. He can tell you how to solve some puzzles, how to beat the boss you're fighting, and can tell you about basically every enemy you've encountered so far in the game.

Awesome, I'll call Ford a bunch my next time through. It's fun figuring out the boss battles, so I don't really want him to spoil them for me my first time through.

Joe,

you're explaination makes good sense, though I'm not sure that Oleander was responsible for the creation of the milkman. I think that's more in reference to how he turns milkbottles into fire bombs, which he was doing before he met Oleander.

On the milkman (whose milk is delicious)

The milkman is both Oleander and Boyd like so: When you first approach Boyd he tells you that he cannot let you in since only the milkman has the key -- i.e. Oleander who hypnotized him with the milk and cookies -- he is the only one who can get in. Boyd is the other milkman, because he used milk bottles for Molotov cocktails. Now bear with me here, the logic is faulty but that is the genius of it. Because the milkman has the key, Boyd can open the gate when he becomes the milkman.

zombieExplode.gif

You might have noticed that the demon thing in Boyd's mind is really similar visually to the burnt orphans in the toychest in that room in the back corner of Milla's mind... so I think it's just the Psychonauts representation of nightmares.

May be a bit far fetched, but this just occurred to me:

Perhaps the reason they look similar is because they are, in fact, related. It could be that they are simply both fire related nightmares, or (and this is the far fetched bit), Boyd was the one who started the orphange on fire. I actually think they put him away after the first time--when he burned down the place where he worked-- but I don't know. Just something to think about.

Speaking of things lighting on fire... On a more obvious note, I really like the sequence leading up to Boyd throwing the Molotov, with Edgar seeing the gas pipe, it being off, what's-her-face turning it on, etc... A pretty done-to-death type of joke but for some reason it was really funny to me.

Dr. Loboto:

I feel like I missed something. What exactly was the relationship between Loboto and Oleander? I thought Oleander was working for Loboto all the way up till Loboto gets fried. Was Loboto just another asylum ward?

Dr. Loboto:

I thought the death (or "death", who knows?) of Dr. Loboto was really weak. I actually thought he was kind of scary, especially when he was threatening to cook and eat the turtle. And then he is just disposed of with almost no trouble.

Otherwise, as to the relationship between Dr. Loboto and Oleander...I don't think it is ever explained. Could be that he was just another denizen of Thorny Towers when Oleander showed up on the scene and started pulling the strings.

Speaking of things lighting on fire... On a more obvious note, I really like the sequence leading up to Boyd throwing the Molotov, with Edgar seeing the gas pipe, it being off, what's-her-face turning it on, etc... A pretty done-to-death type of joke but for some reason it was really funny to me.

I like that Edgar spills the acetone and turpentine. That made me laugh.

So he has a gratuitous amount of things to spill, I imagine. You know, comedic effect and all. That seems like a silly thing to ask, Kingz. Why was he left in an abadonned insane asylum? Why can Raz read minds and shoot bolts of energy from his face?

So he has a gratuitous amount of things to spill, I imagine. You know, comedic effect and all. That seems like a silly thing to ask, Kingz. Why was he left in an abadonned insane asylum? Why can Raz read minds and shoot bolts of energy from his face?

Why couldn't he have, say, a thing of liquin and a thing of turpentine? It is more likely to find those two side by side on a painter's bench than both acetone and turpentine.

:blink::benstein::worm::rubik::cens0red::nodance::nodance::nodance::fart::fart:

Clearly you are a "fan" on the "Internet" if you are posing and defending this question in such a legitimate manner.

:shifty:

Clearly you are a "fan" on the "Internet" if you are posing and defending this question in such a legitimate manner.

:shifty:

I've got no emotional investment either way.

:mrt:

I'm not going to read this thread until I'm done with the game, but I think this counts as a random Psychonauts tidbit.

Back in 2002, these guys:

:cens0red:

... would in fact run up to you with a big "NO" stamp and yell "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!" in a metallic voice. Why the hell did they change them? The old classic E3 2002 brain censors were so good.

Here they are.

I like how they're now little guys in suits but their overall comedy value has been reduced by a million.

What a shit game.

About Sasha:

Where the hell can that second memory vault be found? That's the only one I'm missing from Sasha's mind? I'm gonna look for it again.