Sign in to follow this  
Chris

World of Warcraft

I just bought it. I'm sort of worried. If I like it, it will be a pleasant surprise because I've hated pretty much every minute of every other MMO I've ever played, but being a Blizzard game it has the capacity to destroy my life. If I don't like it, well, there goes $50.

I surely wouldn't have even considered purchasing this game if it weren't for the almost unbelievable positive press it's been getting. Penny Arcade and GameSpot both considered it the game of the year, which is saying something. Everyone seems to consider it the MMO for people who don't necessarily like MMOs. Plus it actually looks like it has really good art direction, unlike every other MMO I've seen. That's not surprising coming from Blizzard, I guess, but considering that I expected this game to be shit, it's looking like I'll be eating my words. Well, thoughts, anyway.

I just bought it. I'm sort of worried. If I like it, it will be a pleasant surprise because I've hated pretty much every minute of every other MMO I've ever played, but being a Blizzard game it has the capacity to destroy my life. If I don't like it, well, there goes $50.

I surely wouldn't have even considered purchasing this game if it weren't for the almost unbelievable positive press it's been getting. Penny Arcade and GameSpot both considered it the game of the year, which is saying something. Everyone seems to consider it the MMO for people who don't necessarily like MMOs. Plus it actually looks like it has really good art direction, unlike every other MMO I've seen. That's not surprising coming from Blizzard, I guess, but considering that I expected this game to be shit, it's looking like I'll be eating my words. Well, thoughts, anyway.

Yeah, it's hard to ignore the press, isn't it? Especially when they're so damn positive. I'm not a MMO player either, so I decided not to buy it. At least, not now. And I'm a Blizzard fan since WC 2: Tides of Darkness.

--Erwin

I'm just wondering if this game is a worthwhile investment for someone who doesn't intend to play it a lot. I mean, will I be hopelessly manhandled if I don't play it a lot and aren't a high level? Will I be able to enjoy myself if I cannot invest the time that others are able to?

A bunch of us played the open beta just before the US release. I loved it, but think I'd probably love most MMORPG's, also adore Blizzard games, and haven't played anything sililar except for a MUD aeons ago, so can't really draw comparisons. There's a reasonably good WoW vs. EQ2 article on warcry. The art direction, though a lot of people have called it cartoony, does at least allow each different zone to look very distinct from the next. I wish the highest settings were a little more demanding on the hardware though. One of the main reasons I liked the beta was because although some missions were definately easier when grouping, most of them are fine to do solo, in terms of experience/progress per hour played. I like playing with my friends if it's practical, but really can't be bothered to organise things in advance and wait around, etc. when I could be off actually doing stuff by myself. Playing half of it solo also made it more of a treat when I did group up to tackle something hard.

If you don't like it, at least wait until the PvP battlegrounds thing starts, as that looks to be fairly special...

World of Warcraft would be the only reason that I'd desperately want internet on my room. Take a look at this graph:

Free time, stress-free life, constructively creative <--> World of Warcraft

Fucking tough call!

I'm planning on giving it a go later in the year when I'm not busy with university, maybe I'll buy a chunk of a few months' account time and spend some long summer nights being an orc. Though I like Blizzard a lot, I tend not to like MMOs, but all the positive press is suggesting this is the one that breaks the mold, not demanding unsociable hours upon hours for you to get anything out of it. Also it looks really cool, with a proper art style and many unique areas of the world.

I think Guild Wars looks kind of promising also, so if I get a multiplayer-only game in the near future it might be that. We shall see...

It even rewards you for spending time offline (you gain more experience in the game when your character is "rested"), if I understand it correctly.

I wouldn't say it rewards you, it just helps you catch up with the people that don't have to work or whatever and can spend all day playing.

I think Guild Wars looks kind of promising also, so if I get a multiplayer-only game in the near future it might be that. We shall see...

Personally, I prefer Guild Wars for it's no monthly fee bargain. That, and the fact that it's not really an MMO, and therefore I can stand it.

Just in case anyone wants to hang out in The World of Warcraft, I'm on the Frostwolf server. My account name is, uh, chrisremo :shifty: and my character's name is, er, idlethumb. :shifty: :shifty:

i would come hang, if i had an american account :( :(

what class did u go for etc?

european final beta starts any day now :D :D :D

Can someone convince me to buy this? I'm not really an RPG fan for the leveling-up I'm more in it for the story and the only game I still play regulary online is Enemy territory.

erm... the story is there, its more kind of an era in the tales of warcraft which does have a back ground and all kinds of mythology and stuff.

i guess its a bit like diablo but there isnt a MAJOR story going on with a beginning and an end, just the middle part so you can find out about the past and work towards the future.

p,s skiving work to post on thumbs is awesome :shifty:

I'm not touching WOW because it has the potential to destroy my productivity not just for a few days (e.g. HL2) but for months and possibly years. So I've convinced myself WOW is shit.

As far as I understand it is not yet out in europe - or is it just me - all this beta is confusing me a little.... !?!?

I'm not touching WOW because it has the potential to destroy my productivity not just for a few days (e.g. HL2) but for months and possibly years. So I've convinced myself WOW is shit.

It's for the best, really.

It's for the best, really.

This is true. Nothing good can come from The MMO. A most vile and insidious disease.

Unless of course you like your checking account being bulimic.

i would come hang, if i had an american account :( :(

what class did u go for etc?

european final beta starts any day now :D :D :D

I didn't realize that different continents had different accounts. I figured it was entirely based on server. That's lame.

I'm a dwarf hunter. Level 5 I think? I've only played for a few hours. I like that it doesn't take a million years to get to even low levels like it seemed to in the other (stupid) MMOs I've sampled.

I didn't realize that different continents had different accounts. I figured it was entirely based on server. That's lame.

I'm a dwarf hunter. Level 5 I think? I've only played for a few hours. I like that it doesn't take a million years to get to even low levels like it seemed to in the other (stupid) MMOs I've sampled.

Yeah, isn't this the case with a lot of MMO games? I think SW Galaxies and Uru work the same. I'd prefer to choose my own server, like in most other multiplayer games.

--Erwin

Well you definitely can choose your own server. There's a big huge list. And you can choose ones which aren't geographically close to you as well. Maybe when the retail European version comes out it will act like other games.