Jake

Idle Thumbs 317: Press Start Go

Idle Thumbs 317:

Idle Thumbs 317

Press Start Go
НДД -*- Cracked by..: WAREZ 1999 :.. -*- ДДН
³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³
Description:.. An episode of the Idle Thumbs podcast in which the guys pretend to be on a different podcast called Press Start Go, but really it's just another Idle Thumbs. Chris and Nick go deep on Into The Breach, which sounds like it's destroying their lives, and Jake talks about some edutainment game. EnJoY EvErYoNe! Do not upload this on inferior boards! ..:

³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³

Discussed: Into the Breach, Sea of Thieves, Warez 1999, Idle Thumbs GDC 2018 Community Meetup, Nt Mini vintage console reconstruction, Super Nt vintage console reconstruction, Dr. Mario, David Lynch Teaches Typing, Nest, Subnautica

Just FYI to the Idle Thumbs folks - if you don't want to shell out $60 for Sea of Thieves, it's included for $10/month via Xbox Game Pass. And you can get a 14-day trial to Game Pass too, so if you've never used a trial before you can basically play Sea of Thieves for 2 weeks for free.

Since the game is a "Play Anywhere" title, either buying the game digitally or getting Xbox Game Pass gives you access to both the PC version and the Xbox version.

Also - it's fully cross-play so the Xbox and PC players can play together.

I really wish I had the same experience with Into the Breach. I'm not sure what about it failed to get its claws into me, since I generally like turn-based strategy type things, but after beating the game the first time I just lost all motivation to go back into it. 

Sea of Thieves seems rad though.

I like that you guys riffed a typical podcast name as a joke and then actually talked about the true joy of software having an instant "Press Start, Go" experience. That's the quality I've come to expect after 316 episodes of Press Start Go.

A really good indication of how Into the Breach works is that Patrick Klepek streamed it for over an hour, and managed to do only 3, maybe 4 turns, as he verbally talked through all his options to make sure he played as optimally as possible because he was in a tough corner.

On 17/03/2018 at 10:33 AM, infamous space turtle said:

Really enjoyed the Sea of Thieves discussion, yall should definitely stream it :eyebrow:

Yeah, this is the closest Ive come to wanting to buy it.

Into the Breach and Cinco Paus (where I am in a one sided competition with Chris Remo that unfortunately I've been on the losing end of for the last two weeks I think) are the games that have completely dominated my time lately. Really enjoying games that just have a really tight grid space so that even with all the random configuration elements end up having this puzzle-like quality to them. It is great when you have actions/effects that can cause chain effects because in that kind of densely designed space the opportunity for those crazy sequences to fire off is really high.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:17 PM, sclpls said:

Into the Breach and Cinco Paus (where I am in a one sided competition with Chris Remo that unfortunately I've been on the losing end of for the last two weeks I think) are the games that have completely dominated my time lately. Really enjoying games that just have a really tight grid space so that even with all the random configuration elements end up having this puzzle-like quality to them. It is great when you have actions/effects that can cause chain effects because in that kind of densely designed space the opportunity for those crazy sequences to fire off is really high.

Also worthy of note: yesterday (4/9/18) Michael Brough released another Imbroglio expansion:

http://mightyvision.blogspot.com/2018/04/phlogiston-preview.html

Z4tnmB8.png

Yes, it has been wonderful to return to Imbroglio, a game that isn't as immediately satisfying as Cinco Paus, but that I think is the deeper and better game overall. This expansion is absolutely crazy (in a good way), and it has been a real pleasure trying to tease out how to use the new weapons.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:01 PM, sclpls said:

Yes, it has been wonderful to return to Imbroglio, a game that isn't as immediately satisfying as Cinco Paus, but that I think is the deeper and better game overall. This expansion is absolutely crazy (in a good way), and it has been a real pleasure trying to tease out how to use the new weapons.

I think the Philosopher's Stone is a deadly lure.  I think Brough put it in to tempt us into our doom.  On the other hand, I've boosted the high score on 2 characters with it.

The two new characters are two new clever ways to play.  One is the day-night, which is high-strung and awesome.  The other one... the monk... verrry interesting but not my favorite to play.  It's a huge change to not be able to kite enemies, and it's not always a change I enjoy playing with.

And I'm really struggling to effectively use the new charge mechanic.

But I agree, I went to Cinco Paus, and I still go back because it has a magical feel that I love, but Cinco Paus can only really be played one way.

I haven't purchased 868-HACK yet...

If you look at Brough's high score for Thunderbolt Jade he uses four philosopher's stones! I'm currently right behind him on the leaderboards with a high score of 191, and I used Choco_marsh's configuration with a philosopher stone in the top right-hand corner of the board, where it is difficult to accidentally level it up.

I hear you about Oko the Gnome. Because of his weakness you actually need to move around the board differently compared to how you play any of the other characters so that means for experienced players your odds of screwing yourself because of ingrained movement habits are extremely high. That being said, I still prefer that as a challenge to characters like Susannah Holy Templar, Fey Sorceress Ixxthl and Johnny of the Birds whose disadvantages just make the game much more tedious to play.

I think it is gonna take awhile before people discover truly abusive combos with the charge mechanic, although I think the flow of the game state will be somewhat constant where it makes the mid game a lot more challenging, but the late game considerably easier.

868-HACK is neat, but there are some hidden mechanics in the game that once I found out about them put me off the game in a pretty big way. Still worth playing for a couple of bucks though.

868-HACK is a better game if you pretend, as I do, that those hidden mechanics don't exist.

Admittedly, this only really works if you aren't competing with anyone other than yourself for a high score.