Sign in to follow this  
seamus2389

Sense8

Finished watching Sense8 and overall really enjoyed it. The pilot was a lumbering mess having to introduce the premise and the 8 characters scattered the world in a hour  and if you can't stick it skipping to the third episode is a good idea. It does feel like the first of a planned five season show with the first half of the show being more interested in the 8 characters than the overall plot of what are they and who is after them.

It was a lot funnier than I thought a show written by in part by JMS  would be after just finishing Babylon 5 and starting in the third episode and particularly in the 6 and final episode they do some really cool action scenes based round the fact that these people can take over each others bodies and talk to each other. The scenes where characters appear in each other locations and just talk about whatever is on their minds is one of the best parts of show in general for me.

On the minus side the characters are a bit broad, some of the dialogue is pretty on the nose and the show has it's fair share of  stereotypes for the 5 who aren't white and American/Icelandic. On the flip side it's treatment of LGBTQ characters does not suffer from this. Nomi who is a lesbian transwoman, her girlfriend played by Freema Aygeman(of Doctor Who fame) are a joy to watch together as are the gay Mexican couple Lito and Hernando. 

Good to know you liked it. I think that will be my next show.

I guess I'll give Sense8 another shot, I made it about 15 minutes into the first episode before giving up. 

I have heard nothing but bad things about how messy and overwrought the plot and writing is, so I'd be interested to hear if more Thumbs actually take to it.

Finished watching Sense8 and overall really enjoyed it. The pilot was a lumbering mess having to introduce the premise and the 8 characters scattered the world in a hour  and if you can't stick it skipping to the third episode is a good idea.

On the flip side it's treatment of LGBTQ characters does not suffer from this. Nomi who is a lesbian transwoman, her girlfriend played by Freema Aygeman(of Doctor Who fame) are a joy to watch together

Good to hear. I just watched the pilot and it was okay but slooow and didn't feel particularly original. I somehow did not recognise Aygeman!

I didn't mind Sense8 being slow. That's a thing I rather enjoyed about it. It takes its time, but I think it pays off by the end of the season. I also think it can afford to take its time, as all episodes are out. I don't think the format of this show would've worked if it had been an episode a week thing. Netflix's form defining the structure of shows, I guess.

I really liked all characters, even if some are still a little thin. It did a great job of building tension that had me on the edge of my seat!

All in all, I really liked it!

I find it rather annoying, not because it's a crappy sound effect (which it is) but because of the conscious decision to include something that breaks immersion as part of an in-joke that stopped being funny many years ago.

Anyway, I've watched a bit more of Sense8 and I'm getting on with it a lot more. The writing is rather clunky at times and the whole premise seems a tad hokey but I think I mostly like it because it's not all white middle class Americans, which is a refreshing change. I'll finish the season after I'm done with the new season of Orange Is The New Black, which is as always excellent.

I ended up binge watching Sense8. As long as you can handle it taking twice as long with everything as it should, it's actually really cool. I ended up liking all the characters, there's loads of sex and well-directed action, and the concept is interesting (although it could be summed up in a long sentence yet took about six episodes to reveal!). It also touches on a load of LGBT stuff in a way that felt well-handled to me.

I loved Sense8! I bingewatched it today. It didn't feel to me like it was going on for too long, except for in episode 8 and 9, there was the occasional repetitious moment, the occasional beat that felt too similar to something that already came before.

But man, this was so fun! Much smarter and more nuanced than I expected. And that I grew to love every character surprises me as well. They were surprisingly well drawn. The actors were all perfectly cast in their roles, the performances were wonderful!

I definitely recommend it for its life affirming qualities overall (they stand somewhat at odds with the high body count later on in the series) and its celebration of diversity which is deeply rooted on a philosophical level into the narrative. I love how free it is of grittiness and cynicism.

A small aspect that I find remarkable is how characters connect over artifacts of popular culture.

Two friends connect over "Conan the Barbarian", the Schwarzenegger movie, and regularly spout quotes from it at each other. Similarly Capheus has admiration for Jean Claude Van Damme and love for his movies that he shares with a friend, and at the end of one episode everyone starts singing "What's Up" from 4 Non Blondes!

Nothing I share much love for myself, but the enthusiasm the characters show for these movies and this song is infectious!

I loved Sense8!

Hooray! I agree with everything you said there, plus I'd warn any prospective viewers that episode 1 isn't great, but it improves rapidly after that.

(And fwiw I would personally spoiler tag those pop culture moments or at least the last one, as I found them pleasantly surprising when they popped up.)

Done!

I forgot to mention four more:

The couple Nomi and Amanita asking themselves "What would Nancy Drew do?", the mentions of and conversations about fictitious movie quotes in the Lito storyline, Lito's and Hernando's first date in a Diego Rivera museum, and, of course, the Beethoven piano concerto.

It's quite the pronounced theme then! It guess it demonstrates how we can feel empowered, enlightened and inspired by pop culture artifacts. They may help us feel less alone in the world and possibly understood by an author far away. Maybe they even help us come closer to each other. I quite liked this aspect of the show!

Good theory! I also like that the references feel organic, rather than a show like, say, Supernatural (which I love) where every goddamn character, natural or supernatural, is a walking encyclopedia of pop culture references.

I'm so happy to find out that Sense8 was renewed for another season!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

That is all.

On 8/19/2015 at 11:15 PM, Ozzie said:

I'm so happy to find out that Sense8 was renewed for another season!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

That is all.

Season 2 just arrived on Netflix! I am now re-watching season 1 in preparation.

Well, I didn't like the Christmas Special, so my excited for the rest is rather muted by now. But still, I might take another look.

I haven't seen the Christmas Special, so my excitement is not muted either!

Christmas Special and season 2 both great! Really hope we don't have another two year wait for the next season, though...

Hmm... I loved the first season, which I finished a couple of days ago, but now in the middle of the second one I'm kind of getting a vibe of The Matrix sequels vs The Matrix. Or it's just becoming too drawn out for me, and some of the characters staring at relatively mundane things with mouth-open awe for seconds is getting old. And while I love the diversity, I think the show is becoming more and more like a power fantasy, just not for white teenage males this time. It's probably good that different people are now getting power fantasies they can more easily identify with, though.

This has been cancelled but after (and perhaps due to) a massive fan outcry, Netlfix have commissioned a series finale.