Chris

Idle Thumbs 296: Super Hollyweedland

6 hours ago, Chris said:

I assume your phone did some editing work on your behalf here but I hope it didn't 

Follow the money

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I wouldn't say that's true.  Speedrunning is about completing a game as fast as possible, often within certain categories such as getting 100% or not using glitches.  It relies on a combination of knowledge and skill to move quickly through the game rather than just not see it at all, though there are certainly times where things are skipped.  I do agree that it's not the best way to learn about a new game though.

I'm also going to use this as an excuse to promote Awesome Games Done Quick, a speedrunning marathon that supports the Prevent Cancer Foundation and is going on right now.  See this thread for more info

The linked video is an any% run. It skips a lot. As far as I am aware, nobody did 100% run of GMG yet, and it's not even clear what that would entail, completing ME2 multiple times too...

There's also a butts% runs category for this game, but they are just the same as any% without one part, really.

Jake's comment that lots of people have homemade Marios lying around at home reminded me that my kids and I made a Mario 64 board game when they were little (back in 2003, I think?).  I took a few photos at the time.

Game5.JPG

Game9.JPG

Game11.JPG

Game13.JPG

4 hours ago, I_smell said:

Wow that board game is amazing!

So much work, so much craftsmanship.

I just came here to share this ominous Samurai Mario art that makes him look more colonial than ever.

The site has a lot of good images, to be honest.

Is a Samurai Mario made by a Japanese company still colonial?

If Mario was made today, would he be a polish plumber?

I don't remember all the rules, but the board game was a Chutes & Ladders type game where you could jump ahead with the cannons, by landing on a Mushroom power-up, or by riding across the lake on the dinosaur. And you'd get sent back by landing on Bowser (everybody does a HAW HAW HAW laugh) or the snake or getting smashed by the Thwomp block. The Goombas would start at the other end and each turn move toward the players and you'd get sent back if they landed on you but get an extra coin if you landed on them.  You had to collect enough gold coins to get past the numbered doors.  (Or maybe when you got Bowsered, you got sent off-board to the castle and then could re-enter at a numbered door instead of the starting pipe if you had enough coin stars.)  If you landed on the clay Koopa shell, you got to ride it and it would double your speed until something happened to make you fall off.  I think we might have spent more time making up new rules than we did actually playing it.

The Lego thing is the castle, of course, and those are two Link figures guarding it.  I think Mario, Banjo, Toad, Bob-omb, Link, the pumpkin, and Bob the Tomato were all playable characters.  We eventually made figures for Peach, Wario, Spyro, a couple girls from Snowboard Kids, and a bunch of Banjo-Kazooie Jinjos.

Here's a couple more that show the board a little more clearly and a couple of Banjo-Kazooie close enough that you can see the Model Magic clay we used.  I think I took these with a crappy webcam because I didn't own a digital camera yet.

Game7.JPG

Game8.JPG

Banjo2.JPG

Banjo7.JPG

5 hours ago, Urthman said:

Here's a couple more that show the board a little more clearly and a couple of Banjo-Kazooie close enough that you can see the Model Magic clay we used.  I think I took these with a crappy webcam because I didn't own a digital camera yet.

This is so good!  As a child I couldn't even manage to make an all-black Play-Doh Darth Vader correctly.

Look at that banjo!